7 10.14%
  • LCD is da bomb

47 68.12%
  • Whut?

15 21.74%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Plasma or LCD?

2005 NFL Survivor Contest Champion RXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of light RXDAWG's Avatar

Re: Plasma or LCD?

Got a question? I'm looking at 2 TV's both Sony Bravia. One is 40inch 1080p. One is 32 inch 720p. This one is going in the bedroom. Which one should I go with. Is 1080p that much better than 720p? The wife wants the 32inch. It is on sale for $686. The 40inch is $1199. Which one guys?

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RXDAWG View Post
    Got a question? I'm looking at 2 TV's both Sony Bravia. One is 40inch 1080p. One is 32 inch 720p. This one is going in the bedroom. Which one should I go with. Is 1080p that much better than 720p? The wife wants the 32inch. It is on sale for $686. The 40inch is $1199. Which one guys?
    1080 is the only way to go if you are ever planning on getting a Blu-Ray player.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

Studies have shown that the human eye can not tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. With 42" TVs at a viewing distance of 10 feet, experts could not accurately determine which TVs were 1080. Given that this is a bedroom TV and probably not your primary TV for watching HD movies, I have to say that you will not get your money's worth with the 40".

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

Oh yeah, the source I have for that study is a TWiT podcast from about 3-5 months ago.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Ask the store if they have any floor models. I got a 37" Bravia 720p at a Sony Style store less than a month ago with 1 year waranty for $509. I had to go on line to get the manuals. It looks almost as good as my 1080p Sony LCD projection that I have had for about a year. The one difference is on the 1080i channels the picture is a little better on the projection. If you do not have a 1080p, you probably wouldn't now the difference.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

I've got the 1080, also.
    Is the HDMI now a better connection than RGB wires?
    Louisiana Tech University

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    I've got the 1080, also.
    Is the HDMI now a better connection than RGB wires?
    That depends on the source and destination. HDMI and Component have one main difference. HDMI is digital and Component is analog. With a high quality analog cable, most sources and TVs will give the exact same picture with both types. In fact, the capabilities of both types of interfaces are so far ahead of what TVs can do. In the grand scheme of things, HDMI is capable of more. However, it's a moot point with today's TVs.

The best answer is this: try it out. Digital (HDMI) is usually better, but some TVs have a better picture and shorter delay (important for Guitar Hero III) with analog. If everything is equal, HDMI is one connector and one wire, component is 5 connectors and (usually) 2 wires.

I use HDMI on as many sources as I can to control cable clutter.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by duckbillplatty View Post
    That depends on the source and destination. HDMI and Component have one main difference. HDMI is digital and Component is analog. With a high quality analog cable, most sources and TVs will give the exact same picture with both types. In fact, the capabilities of both types of interfaces are so far ahead of what TVs can do. In the grand scheme of things, HDMI is capable of more. However, it's a moot point with today's TVs.

The best answer is this: try it out. Digital (HDMI) is usually better, but some TVs have a better picture and shorter delay (important for Guitar Hero III) with analog. If everything is equal, HDMI is one connector and one wire, component is 5 connectors and (usually) 2 wires.

I use HDMI on as many sources as I can to control cable clutter.
    I like HDMI too because of less clutter . . . one of the local hifi peeps said early HDMI quality was not as good, but improvements have apparently been made.
    Thanks

Big Dog Red's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the rough Red's Better's Avatar

I have 3 LCD televisions and I love all three. Sony-50 inch, Vizio-32 inch, and a Samsung- 22 inch. The only problem I have is that Suddenlink charges too much for an HD box. So I just have one TV hooked up to HD. I also have a PS3 that plays blue ray........the picture on that is unreal.

I will admit.........some screens definitely look sharper than others, but for the most part HD looks about the same on all TVs.

Big Dog Dawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her game

Just like everything else, HD programming will become commonplace and we won't have to pay extra for it. It might take a little while, but the day is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Red's Better View Post
    I have 3 LCD televisions and I love all three. Sony-50 inch, Vizio-32 inch, and a Samsung- 22 inch. The only problem I have is that Suddenlink charges too much for an HD box. So I just have one TV hooked up to HD. I also have a PS3 that plays blue ray........the picture on that is unreal.

I will admit.........some screens definitely look sharper than others, but for the most part HD looks about the same on all TVs.
    FWIW, I read that Samsung makes the Sony screens.

Big Dog Dawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her game

I have a Magnavox 32" LCD and love it. It's not even a 1080.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Go to WWW.kimkomando.com and you should find just about anything you want to know about these TVs and a lot more. You can sign up for tips, sites of the day, etc via email if you want. The tip of the day was on LCD vs plasma. I usually find something of use each week from her emails.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Or go to AV Science Forum. www.avsforum.com All the information you could ever want.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Neither.

Plasma, LCDs blamed for accelerating global warming

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...section=justin

+ Reply to Thread