+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ‘I’ve learned my lesson’ says Jindal

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Re: ‘I’ve learned my lesson’ says Jindal

He should veto this. The more I think about it the madder I get. I know for a fact one representative who voted for this is loaded. If you can belong to Squire Creek Country Club I don't think you NEED my money!!!!!!!!!! I don't belong to Squire Creek Country Club - I can't afford it. Vacations and trips here and there all year long, golf outings, vacation home in the mountains - do you need more money??????? I haven't been on a vacation in 3 YEARS. I planned one this year and am still going to try to go but gas may be 5.00 a gallon. Maybe I'll just vote myself a raise... @#%&*$
    I go to work at 7 in the morning and don't leave till 5 or 6 in the evening. These people can vote themselves a big fat raise and not even be in the state or the building apparently. I've had enough of this BS. The arrogance and self absorbtion of these fools is too much to bear. I'm mad as hell about this.

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    McCain could get Bozo the clown as VP and Louisiana would not go Obama, I know you wish that, but dream on.
    McCain should get Condi Rice to be his VP and leave little Bobby here to face the music.

Champ daybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time daybreaker2's Avatar

Although, looking at the big picture, making the pay only $17k ensures that the only people who run for office are those who can afford to do it part time. I agree that most of them dont need the extra money, but a normal person like me couldnt afford to run for office and take such a huge pay cut.
    "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by daybreaker2 View Post
    Although, looking at the big picture, making the pay only $17k ensures that the only people who run for office are those who can afford to do it part time. I agree that most of them dont need the extra money, but a normal person like me couldnt afford to run for office and take such a huge pay cut.
    That's fine. I get that. So let's get some petitions together and throw all these jackasses out and start over with some people who understand what it means to have to WORK and EARN money and SAVE money and WATCH your spending. Not these fat horses' patoodies who are voting themselves a raise when they aren't EVEN there.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Career politicians suck.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ daybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time daybreaker2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Career politicians suck.
    Yet you have to wonder why millionaires would want to take a $17k/yr part time job... Rich people arent the only ones who feel a sense of civic duty, yet theyre the only ones who can afford it. Meaning those who are actually more connected to the people cant.
    "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Yet you have to wonder why millionaires would want to take a $17k/yr part time job... Rich people arent the only ones who feel a sense of civic duty, yet theyre the only ones who can afford it. Meaning those who are actually more connected to the people cant.
    Legislative representative positions were never meant to provide full time employment. Personally, I would prefer to elect people who are successful at solving problems and who understand the principles of limited government than someone who is "connected to the people."
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

He's have shown he's learned his lesson when he gets out the veto pen!

Saw a fun sign on the board out in front of Jay's Donuts: "What would John Wayne do?" VETO

Power. Hobnobbing with bigwigs. The whole scene.

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

what is his email address so that I can email him?
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    what is his email address so that I can email him?
    shrivellednuts.la.gov

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

take it easy, folks. when you are in an adversarial relationship, you have to choose your battles. if he wants to accomplish all he says he wants to accomplish, he will have to make some compromises with the legislators. he can't vote those losers out of office, so he has to figure out a way to work with them. if he's legit, he can save the state a whole lot more than $3M by other means, but he's going to have to grease the wheels a little.

disclaimer: i am not trying to defend jindal, because i don't know enough from texas to tell if he is anything other than a typical politician. i'm just trying to put myself in his shoes.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    take it easy, folks. when you are in an adversarial relationship, you have to choose your battles. if he wants to accomplish all he says he wants to accomplish, he will have to make some compromises with the legislators. he can't vote those losers out of office, so he has to figure out a way to work with them. if he's legit, he can save the state a whole lot more than $3M by other means, but he's going to have to grease the wheels a little.

disclaimer: i am not trying to defend jindal, because i don't know enough from texas to tell if he is anything other than a typical politician. i'm just trying to put myself in his shoes.

Obviously you don't live here. We've seen NO changes. He SAYS all of these changes he wants to make, but he's fought even the things he wants to take credit for now (like killing the Stelly Plan). You don't make deals with the devil going against your campaign promises and allowing them to double their pay. He's got to get some gumption or he's done! If he doesn't veto this, he'll have a well deserved recall petition against him, too. We don't want Blanco back, but we want to get what we bought on election day. Jindal has not been that! And, the legislature is vastly different now also, so obviously many of the constituents of their districts didn't get what they signed up for either!

With Blanco we KNEW we had a loser Governor from the start. Anybody that had a doubt knew that when Katrina came along. With Jindal, we knew he could do better. The sad part is he CAN - he just hasn't. It is such a total waste to be so smart and yet have no guts to lead! That isn't smart!

Varsity Bulldog JAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of light

I think part of the problem is Jindal's seeming detachment from doing the job, as evidenced by the record number of bills signed without his signature. I cast my first vote for a Republican in over ten years because I hoped he would move away from his job-hopping to advance his career and concentrate on eight years of reform for Louisiana and them move to national office in his mid 40s. It seems that's not in his plan as he is out of Louisiana more than in the state. (I don't think he can get the all-time record though, Jimmie Davis spent over half of his first term (1944-1948) out of state in Hollywood trying to become the next great singing cowboy.)

The worst part of this is that as the earlier comment said, negotiation and give and take are all part of politics; however, we saw no sign of negotiation by Jindal on this issue. It seems at the first the Legislative leaders said, "We want to triple our salary" and Jindal said, "I don't want that" and the resulting "deal" was that the legislature got what it wanted in exchange for promises of future cooperation. The reduction of the increase was not orchestrated by Jindal, or at the least not his idea as he announced his "hands off" policy when the bill still tripled the salary.

For several years now I've told my La. Government classes that one of the worst legacies of Huey Long in terms of day-to-day operation of the government was the destruction of separation of powers and checks and balances. Essentially the Louisiana Legislature has functioned almost like a committee appointed by the Governor. He picked the officers and vetoes were seldom if ever overridden.

When Jindal was elected and promised to change things, I was pleased. Then he caved a little and did pick the officers as in the past, indicating he was going to continue the gubernatorial dominance to some degree. Now, I'm blown away as he apparently has adopted the view held by all those weak, ineffective U. S. Presidents of the 19th Century that the legislative branch should run the show. His implication that he lacks the power and/or the political courage to veto a bill that goes against his campaign promise is not a good sign. Heck, even Blanco had the testicular fortitude to kill this pay raise idea before it got started.

It just looks like Bobby is too busy filling out job applications for his next promotion to concentrate on the job. I guess we Democrats fell down on our job when we didn't attack him for his almost non-existent voting record during his last year in Congress. If you'll look back, that's what he did, spent his time running for Governor and seldom if ever voted. It seemed excusable because of our situation in Louisiana, but now it seems more like a pattern of behavior than a reaction to that situation.

In short, I want my vote back . . . . , here I trusted you Republicans to fix things and you did as bad as my people

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAAgan View Post
    I think part of the problem is Jindal's seeming detachment from doing the job, as evidenced by the record number of bills signed without his signature. I cast my first vote for a Republican in over ten years because I hoped he would move away from his job-hopping to advance his career and concentrate on eight years of reform for Louisiana and them move to national office in his mid 40s. It seems that's not in his plan as he is out of Louisiana more than in the state. (I don't think he can get the all-time record though, Jimmie Davis spent over half of his first term (1944-1948) out of state in Hollywood trying to become the next great singing cowboy.)

The worst part of this is that as the earlier comment said, negotiation and give and take are all part of politics; however, we saw no sign of negotiation by Jindal on this issue. It seems at the first the Legislative leaders said, "We want to triple our salary" and Jindal said, "I don't want that" and the resulting "deal" was that the legislature got what it wanted in exchange for promises of future cooperation. The reduction of the increase was not orchestrated by Jindal, or at the least not his idea as he announced his "hands off" policy when the bill still tripled the salary.

For several years now I've told my La. Government classes that one of the worst legacies of Huey Long in terms of day-to-day operation of the government was the destruction of separation of powers and checks and balances. Essentially the Louisiana Legislature has functioned almost like a committee appointed by the Governor. He picked the officers and vetoes were seldom if ever overridden.

When Jindal was elected and promised to change things, I was pleased. Then he caved a little and did pick the officers as in the past, indicating he was going to continue the gubernatorial dominance to some degree. Now, I'm blown away as he apparently has adopted the view held by all those weak, ineffective U. S. Presidents of the 19th Century that the legislative branch should run the show. His implication that he lacks the power and/or the political courage to veto a bill that goes against his campaign promise is not a good sign. Heck, even Blanco had the testicular fortitude to kill this pay raise idea before it got started.

It just looks like Bobby is too busy filling out job applications for his next promotion to concentrate on the job. I guess we Democrats fell down on our job when we didn't attack him for his almost non-existent voting record during his last year in Congress. If you'll look back, that's what he did, spent his time running for Governor and seldom if ever voted. It seemed excusable because of our situation in Louisiana, but now it seems more like a pattern of behavior than a reaction to that situation.

In short, I want my vote back . . . . , here I trusted you Republicans to fix things and you did as bad as my people
    Good post. You should send this to Trey W.

+ Reply to Thread