+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Bear in Ruston

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar

Re: Black Bear in Ruston

[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Ruston Police Department[/font]

News Release

7-1-08

Black Bear in Ruston

On Tuesday morning, July 1st, around 6:30am, the Ruston Police Department received a 911 call from the Fairfield Inn stating there was a bear standing at their front door, looking inside. The hotel employees watched as the bear finally strolled off heading east towards Holiday Inn Express]Officers responded to the area, but the bear had already wondered off.

At approx. 7:07am a citizen called RPD stating that they had almost ran over a black bear on Benard Street at the railroad tracks.] Ruston Police Officers and Ruston Animal Control Officers responded to the area, but again the bear had apparently wondered off in the woods out of sight.

Several minutes later, another citizen called the Ruston Police Department from 619 Durden Street and advised that she had just seen a black bear walk down her driveway and right beside her house. Officers from the Ruston Police Department and Ruston Animal Control Officers again responded and RPD Officer Nathan Scheer spotted the bear crossing the railroad tracks.

Animal Control Officers were then able to strike the bear with a tranquilizer dart as it entered the Louisiana Center for Blind property. Officers followed the bear for several more minutes, watching as the bear became groggy

The officers were finally able to corral the bear in a fenced in yard on Durden Street.

]When the bear realized he was cornered, he climbed up a very large oak tree and wedged himself between three large branches

Approx. 20 minutes later, the bear finally climbed down out of the oak tree. Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Agents and Biologists had already arrived on the scene and advised Ruston Police Officers and Ruston Animal Control Officers to let the bear go. The Ruston Police Department then turned over the investigation to the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries as the bear wondered off.

]If anyone has further questions, please feel free to contact me at 318-255-4141 or the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries at 318-343-4044.

Lt. Curtis Hawkins
    Training Coordinator
    Public Information Officer

Ruston Police Department

318) 255-4141

chawkins@ruston.org

Varsity Bulldog bayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nice

This black bear was seen in Jackson Parish just last week:
    Attached Images Attached Images

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bayouboyz View Post
    This black bear was seen in Jackson Parish just last week:
    It's a shame one of those two little doglets didn't try their luck. :icon_wink:

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    We just got back from the Smoky Mountain National Park and they are all over that area. I think it is cool. Lately the ones from Louisiana have been migrating back into East Texas. I hope they continue to populate the North La. area and continue to flow back into East Texas. The bears in East Texas were hunted out years ago and were basically gone from Texas except in the Big Bend area so it's nice to see them back. The elk are actually making a comeback on their own down in SW Texas. I saw a bunch when we were hunting for mule deer a year ago. It was very cool.
    Careful what you wish for. I have several friends with camps in Tensas parish; one in particular is located on the river within the TNWR. The bears tear up the posts for their porches, claw up the pilings for their decks and break up their water lines. They hate 'em for all the damage they do.

Big Dog SkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the rough

Looks like the same bear.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rabiddawg View Post
    Careful what you wish for. I have several friends with camps in Tensas parish; one in particular is located on the river within the TNWR. The bears tear up the posts for their porches, claw up the pilings for their decks and break up their water lines. They hate 'em for all the damage they do.
    God put them here for a reason. They should have never been hunted out. I'm glad they are making a comeback. I hope they get enough in East Texas or the Hill Country that we can start hunting them. (I do feel bad for your friends though, that kind of damage is a pain in the a$$ and wallet)

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterDawg View Post
    Looks like the same bear.
    they all look a like . . . :icon_wink:

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Choudawg86 View Post
    they all look a like . . . :icon_wink:
    Be careful Black Bears are very sensitive about that kind of stuff. Not as sensitive as a Warhawk though. I never talk like that around them unless I have my rifle with me. (then they tend to be less sensitive .........Warhawks that is.)

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

[quote=Bigdog13;625470]God put them here for a reason.quote]

Get back to me when you figure out why He gave us mosquitos, houseflies, and the Juco.

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Oh I wish I could see it!!!!!!

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

we have lots of bears here in Arkansas. I've seen 2 close to my camp at Lake Ouachita and also where one took a dump in my yard one night. There's a stuffed one in the Ouachita National Forest visitor center at Jessieville that stands 7 ft tall and weighs over 500 pounds.
    Does anybody remember that guy bringing the bear to the Tech campus and betting guys that they couldn't pin him? A big ole boy from Minden pinned him one night and the man had a heart attack.

Champ DogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond repute DogtorEvil's Avatar

Why is the color of the bear even an issue here? I dream of a day free of species racism.

Audacity of Hope

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DogtorEvil View Post
    Why is the color of the bear even an issue here? I dream of a day free of species racism.

Audacity of Hope
    LMAO.

Big Dog Dawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her game

I heard it wasn't a black bear at all. It turned out to be a mangy black dog that some crackhead happened to see, so he called 9-1-1.

How did it get all the way from the Fairfield Inn to Durden Street so fast - wouldn't it have had to cross Georgia?

+ Reply to Thread