+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What happened to Tech Rome?

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

What happened to Tech Rome?

I went in 88. I guess somewhere along the line the program was stopped, I just wondered what happened?

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Re: What happened to Tech Rome?

They stopped the program sometime while I was in school (early to mid 90s) but I do not remember the reason. There were still students participating, and Dr. Meade was still the sponsor. I remember that he was pretty upset.

I do not know the specific reason for cancelling the program.

Firejimoakes.com
    Webmaster
    Beaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the rough

I thought it was cancelled later that that. I remember touring the campus in '99 and thought I remembered them mentioning Tech Rome then.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

I should not have said early 90s. That's when I started Tech, but the program was cancelled after that. I thought it was gone by 99, but I don't remember an exact date.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Dr. Meade was great on that trip. You could not ask for a better person to be there with than an expert such as him. I don't think you can really put a price on that type of education. I haven't been able to make it back to Rome but I intend to some day. I hate that the experience is no longer available to Tech students.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

The last year was 00-01, my freshmen year, main reasons were liability, cost, etc but then 9/11 happened and that put the last nail in the coffin.

Big Dog Darbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the rough

Left with Steve Rodakis.

Champ Poisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the rough Poisso3's Avatar
    Ellisville, MO (30 miles West of St. Louis)

Darbonne is correct. Rodakis was head of the program and when he left, Dr Meade figured it would be passed to him. Tech decided to cancel the program in 00, which pissed me off because I had planned on attending Summer 2001. When I went to talk to Dr Meade, he had just recently been informed that the program--which was very popular--was canceled and would not be revisited.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Besides, that was about the time of the joining of the WAC and the WAC commissioner needed a nice place to stay while in town, so they needed the Tech Rome building for other purposes.

Big Dog Lone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of light Lone Star Dawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoDawg View Post
    Dr. Meade was great on that trip. You could not ask for a better person to be there with than an expert such as him. I don't think you can really put a price on that type of education. I haven't been able to make it back to Rome but I intend to some day. I hate that the experience is no longer available to Tech students.
    I took every course that Dr. Meade taught since I was a history major and if I could have afforded to go to Tech Rome I would have done it in a heartbeat. Years later before my wife and I had children, we decided to take a vacation and she let me choose where to go. There wasn't really any decision to be made, we went to Rome for a week with a couple of side trips to Tivoli and around. It was freaking amazing! My wife is not a history geek like myself, but she has made it clear that when our kids are older, we will be going back to Italy with the kids with more than a week to spend.

By the way, I know this has been said in other threads, but Dr. Meade was hands down one of the top three professors along with Dr's Price and Stokely.

Big Dog bulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of light bulldawg03's Avatar

I remember something about Tech Rome being offered free to certain honors students, and when they canceled the program, those students were offered a laptop or something lame...

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg03 View Post
    I remember something about Tech Rome being offered free to certain honors students, and when they canceled the program, those students were offered a laptop or something lame...
    It was free for National Merit scholars.

I went on the last one summer of 2000, I was (and am) furious that it was canceled. I have never heard a decent reason for not continuing it.

Champ Poisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the rough Poisso3's Avatar
    Ellisville, MO (30 miles West of St. Louis)

When I asked Dr. Meade why he wasn't given the program, he said they would not give him a good reason. I'm sure this was a Dr Dan call to close the program for "financial reasons"...

Big Dog bulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of light bulldawg03's Avatar

It's ashame that we don't have a solid study abroad program. It's not the best university, but a friend of mine did a year for engineering at Czech Tech in Prague...

I don't really think Mexico, London and Paris are selling points as study abroad... We need unique destinations...

Thanks for the responses. It's a shame that it is no longer available. It was an experience well worth more than the cost of the trip.

+ Reply to Thread