+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another Hall of Fame prospect

Big Dog Longdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to all

Another Hall of Fame prospect

Another Hall of Fame prospect

Posted 7/14/2008 1:27 PM CDT on thenewsstar.com
    http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs...Id=personaDest

It was fun talking with Sonja Hogg Monday concerning the announcement that she has been selected for the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame.

We had some good laughs remembering a few times from the early days -- such as when Tech's old "Blue Goose" bus went dead on the road as the Techsters started home after playing Northwestern State at Natchitoches.

We both also recalled the night that the legendary coach Margaret Wade from Delta State came to Tech to actually help the Lady Techsters commemorate breaking Delta State's previous record for most consecutive wins. "She was most gracious to us," said Sonja. "I remember that we had a big green chair for her to sit in court-side because she was already in failing health at that point."

Also, both Sonja and I have no doubts that there is at least one more person at Tech who is deserving of going into this particular Hall of Fame alongside of Hogg, coach Leon Barmore and former great players Janice Lawrence, Pam Kelly and Kim Mulkey.

That "other" Hall of Fame prospect is former Tech president Dr. F. Jay Taylor. "He would definitely fit in the category of Contributor," said Hogg. And, she's right because that category in the Hall calls for individuals "who have significantly impacted the game of women's basketball."

It is hard for me to believe that any other college president has had more of an impact on the game than Dr. Taylor. He was truly the driving force, the man who helped trigger and drive the Lady Techsters program through its greatest era.

Hogg said, "We started out with a budget of just $5,000. But Dr. Taylor wanted everything done right and there were many times when we needed something and he provided the funds to do it, even if we didn't have any money left in the budget."

One of the funniest stories concerning Taylor and the Techsters occurred when the team made its first California road trip. After upsetting defending national champion UCLA, the team went out to eat and Dr. Taylor was so happy he told the girls to "get what you want, the dinner is on me."

But when he got the meal, he was honestly stunned. "I thought they would get a steak or chicken or spaghetti, but they had lobster and every other delicacy you could think of. I think the bill was around $500," he said later, finally able to laugh about it.

No doubt, the Lady Techsters program would never have reached the national heights that it did without President Taylor's support.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Another Hall of Fame prospect

SO SO TRUE! Thanks for the post and I totally agree!

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

ABSOLUTELY President Taylor belongs!!! As your post so accurately states, F. Jay & Sonja were the driving forces behind the Techsters!!
    Just wish we could get out CURRENT President to be so supportive!! Did I say that aloud!???!!!

MG

Champ roughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to behold roughedge's Avatar

The womens' basketball program was Dr. Taylor's "baby" so to speak. He established it with the intention that it would be a national power. Lost in the success of that program is the fact that Dr. Taylor had a second "baby," the womens' softball program. He was the driving force behind it as well, even to the point of specifying where he wanted Lady Techster Field so it would be the most visible. He also expected that program to be a national power and the team went to three College World Series during his tenure as president. He still makes most of the home softball games after the weather warms up each spring.

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Thumbs Up Re: Another Hall of Fame prospect

Quote Originally Posted by roughedge View Post
    The womens' basketball program was Dr. Taylor's "baby" so to speak. He established it with the intention that it would be a national power. Lost in the success of that program is the fact that Dr. Taylor had a second "baby," the womens' softball program. He was the driving force behind it as well, even to the point of specifying where he wanted Lady Techster Field so it would be the most visible. He also expected that program to be a national power and the team went to three College World Series during his tenure as president. He still makes most of the home softball games after the weather warms up each spring.
    So true!! I'd forgotten about the softball team. I remember @ one time they were going toe to toe w/Texas A&M ( a HUGE power at the time ) & holding their own. Hopefully we'll get back to that point!!

MG

Champ DQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post
    ABSOLUTELY President Taylor belongs!!! As your post so accurately states, F. Jay & Sonja were the driving forces behind the Techsters!!
    Just wish we could get out CURRENT President to be so supportive!! Did I say that aloud!???!!!

MG
    All the "Dr. F. Jay" conversation is GOOD!!! I remember when he first took the reins in early 1963, he hired Morrison's Cafeteria pros to handle the Tech Cafeteria. Food quality improved, everyone was smiling, and things were on the way up for a long time at Tech. Great guy, yep, the Ladies programs were his baby.

Maybe we'll get there again. We'll see.

+ Reply to Thread