+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yoda's Vision for the WAC

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Yoda's Vision for the WAC

Yoda is a Fresno fan who frequents the WAC boards. I like his idea, but I'm not sure how plausible it is. It gets more plausible as CUSA's TV and Bowl Bids start to decline.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda
    Remember the old Benson Plan? Basically, Benson tried to keep our old Texas (and environs) schools from bolting to CUSA by getting an ironclad commitment from the rest of the WAC to stay in the WAC. I think it was like a $5 mil exit fee or something. A couple of us, including Fresno I think, balked -- we wanted into the MWC and didn't want a $5 mil roadblock. So we voted it down and CUSA swiped our schools and we replaced them with Big West schools.

So what has changed since then? The WAC is going to BCS bowl games and winning the CWS while CUSA is sucking air. Their size of their television contract is about to tank and they are just waiting for the loss of at least Memphis -- their only really attractive television property. About all that CUSA has done for them is to keep travel costs down.

As for the WAC schools who voted down the Benson Plan, we still aren’t in the MWC and to my knowledge there is no reason to expect that we will ever get there. So maybe it’s time that we move on – commit to the WAC and mean it – and build it from there.

In other words, maybe it is time to take those Texas schools back.

If certain western WAC schools would make the kind of commitment that they refused to make years ago, then might some of these schools come back? Or might UNT finally say okay?

Here’s a WAC that I would like to see…

Western Division
    Fresno State
    San Jose State
    Hawai'i
    Boise State
    Idaho
    Nevada
    Utah State

Eastern Division
    New Mexico State
    LA Tech
    Houston
    SMU
    Tulsa
    UTEP
    USM

This expansion would create great stability in the WAC – a lack of stability being our #1 threat. And it would allow CUSA schools to retain their low travel costs while associating with a suddenly successful WAC instead of with a CUSA that will soon lose at least Memphis . And with 7 schools in each division, that gives you three home and three away within your own division (which six member divisions doesn’t do).

In order idea to for this work, all the members (including Fresno and Boise ) would have to commit to the conference for the long-term – which means foregoing the MWC. But more than that, this is a conference that could surpass the MWC – and the WAC we have now never will.

Further, we stabilize the WAC while robbing the MWC of virtually all their expansion candidates. So if BYU & UU move on, it is the MWC that is left unstable. Perhaps we take SDSU (western division) and New Mexico or better still, TCU (eastern division) at that point, leaving the MWC as dead as their fans so joyfully proclaim the WAC to be.

It wouldn’t be a bad thing to have a conference with one division centered in CA and the other centered in Texas . And it wouldn't be a bad thing to deny the MWC local recruiting access in both of CA and Texas.

I’m trying to figure out why this doesn’t work and I can’t think of anything…

We pause now for Tallgrass to post this on the CUSA board...

Yoda out…
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ T_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Yoda's Vision for the WAC

I would love to see it. We could then officially tell CUSA to kiss our @$$.

UNT would probably come closer to joining than USM. I would be interesed to see what the CUSA schools think about this. The Eastern schools in CUSA don't like the presence of all the Texas teams in CUSA right now. They could pick up Troy, Middle Tenn, Western Kentucky, and FIU and FAU to replace the Texas teams. Seems like a win/win to me.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Yeah, that'll happen.

...Would be nice though.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    Yeah, that'll happen.
    What obstacles (in particular), do you see? I've got a few in my mind, but I'm wondering what some of you Texans think.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

It's just unrealistic in general as most of Yoda's ideas are.

The Western CUSA schools are happy as clams and they are not going to pick up and leave to join a mostly Western based conference. (Especially USM) They would need to get a huge contract guarantee from ESPN BEFORE they agreed to leave which is highly unlikely. The bowl situation would need to be improved before they agreed to leave. I just think the logistics of it all is unlikely. Too many players. Too many needs that have to be met before the teams would agree to move. 14 teams is also a lot of mouths to feed when it comes to splitting the revenue.

USM wouldn't go. UNT would need to take their place. SMU wouldn't want UNT in.

This would be a DREAM conference for UTEP though. EXCEPT for NMSU being in it.

Don't forget SMU looks at UNT and UTEP looks at NMSU in much the same way we look at the juco.

Sure...but, if Memphis bolts and the TV contract is down (which it should be) during the next negotiations, I think we could make a good financial case. I think this is basically all predicated on CUSA continuing to suck.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

What does UNT seem to be waiting for? Is it a CUSA invite?

I agree with BD13, I think there are just way too many pieces that have to fall into place for that to happen. I also don't like sharing revenues with 13 other schools.

As we've talked about before, though, I wouldn't mind seeing UNT in the WAC, if only to give us a travel partner.

More and more I'm thinking that when/if Tech leaves the WAC for another conference, it will be a pretty different conference than any we have now (much like the WAC now bears little resemblance to the one that originally brought us in). I personally believe that schools like WKU and USA are gonna shake things up in our region over the next 10 years, as they have both shown a lot of commitment to growing their programs the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    What does UNT seem to be waiting for? Is it a CUSA invite?

I agree with BD13, I think there are just way too many pieces that have to fall into place for that to happen. I also don't like sharing revenues with 13 other schools.

As we've talked about before, though, I wouldn't mind seeing UNT in the WAC, if only to give us a travel partner.

More and more I'm thinking that when/if Tech leaves the WAC for another conference, it will be a pretty different conference than any we have now (much like the WAC now bears little resemblance to the one that originally brought us in). I personally believe that schools like WKU and USA are gonna shake things up in our region over the next 10 years, as they have both shown a lot of commitment to growing their programs the right way.
    I agree 100%. I'd feel a lot better about our chances if we would have started the new attitude and improvements we are doing right now about 5 years ago. Heck even 3 years ago would have made a huge difference.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

If Yoda's idea ever became a reality, it would definitely cement the WAC as the best non-BCS conference, and might give the WAC a legit shot at becoming a BCS conference someday. It would absolutely leave CUSA and the MWC out in the cold.

However, I agree with these guys that too many things have to happen to get this deal done. First of all, no one has mentioned this but Yoda...meaning that the schools named have not shown any interest in coming to (or coming back to) the WAC.

But, it is fun to dream about the look on Bob Giannini's face when he learned that he was being left behind....

Varsity Bulldog grimey has turned a few heads around heregrimey has turned a few heads around heregrimey has turned a few heads around here grimey's Avatar

This is the only way I see to stay in the WAC. If would definitly help travel costs and would sure make for some go rivalries. If we stay as it is now, I say we need to look elsewhere. However, no one wants us.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Well, just remember that SMU, Rice and Tulsa area a PACKAGE deal. So is one gets an offer to bolt CUSA, the other two will also.

And don't forget TCU! The Horned Frogs play in the MWC. The MWC has the worst TV contract in college football. The MWC still hasn't convinced Direct TV and some of the other networks to show their games. It's a MAJOR problem for the MWC.

In order for Yoda's plan to work, Louisiana Tech and NMSU would have to be joined in the east by the following:

Louisiana Tech
    NMSU
    UTEP (who may actually like moving back to the WAC)
    SMU
    Rice
    Tulsa
    UNT (if TCU or Houston won't jump)

There's your 7-team eastern divison.

HD

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

A mover and shaker commissioner would help the WAC. We are far from it now.

Big Dog Lone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of light Lone Star Dawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Well, just remember that SMU, Rice and Tulsa area a PACKAGE deal. So is one gets an offer to bolt CUSA, the other two will also.

And don't forget TCU! The Horned Frogs play in the MWC. The MWC has the worst TV contract in college football. The MWC still hasn't convinced Direct TV and some of the other networks to show their games. It's a MAJOR problem for the MWC.

In order for Yoda's plan to work, Louisiana Tech and NMSU would have to be joined in the east by the following:

Louisiana Tech
    NMSU
    SMU
    Rice
    Tulsa

HD
    You're mostly right about the tv contract for the MWC, but Directv is going to start showing their games in August. It's only in the states that the member schools are from including Texas and subscribers have to have the Choice package.

http://www.themtn.tv/mtn/index.php?o...=267&Itemid=85

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star Dawg View Post
    You're mostly right about the tv contract for the MWC, but Directv is going to start showing their games in August. It's only in the states that the member schools are from including Texas and subscribers have to have the Choice package.

http://www.themtn.tv/mtn/index.php?o...=267&Itemid=85

That Mountain Network is a bad contract for exposure but not bad for $$$$$. I wish our new ESPN contract was worth that much.

Varsity Bulldog CorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post

Louisiana Tech
    NMSU
    SMU
    Rice
    Tulsa

HD

Put something like that together and I don't think the AD at NT could say yes fast enough. The one problem with all of this of course is that it makes so much sense we'll never see it happen.

+ Reply to Thread