+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ouch! Rivals.com Grades WAC

Big Dog Easydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the rough Easydawg's Avatar

Re: Ouch! Rivals.com Grades WAC

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752 View Post
    How does a HC/AD fire somebody. Gotta be damn near impossible to make that decision when you are seeing similar results from your end.
    I like the way DD seems to be thinking and heading. Regarding Football, the coach has only one season, which was a losing season. Regarding BaseBall, the coach has several seasons under his belt, the last one was absolutely terrible. Our most talented team in years, the hype preseason, and then to finish as we did was not only bad but shameful.

DD has made some decisions that did not sit well with a lot of people in the Football department, in the Athletic Administration (perhaps) and now he will have to make some other choices over the course of this year. If his football coach wins 2 or 3 games, then it will be interesting to see what happens. I don't think that will happen, but that is why they play the games.

I think DD would fire himself he he can not produce a winner on the football field and think he will not hesitate to fire others that can not produce either. Winning does make a difference. Not saying that Sim is not a good guy but he simply needs to do better.

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Easydawg View Post
    I like the way DD seems to be thinking and heading. Regarding Football, the coach has only one season, which was a losing season. Regarding BaseBall, the coach has several seasons under his belt, the last one was absolutely terrible. Our most talented team in years, the hype preseason, and then to finish as we did was not only bad but shameful.

DD has made some decisions that did not sit well with a lot of people in the Football department, in the Athletic Administration (perhaps) and now he will have to make some other choices over the course of this year. If his football coach wins 2 or 3 games, then it will be interesting to see what happens. I don't think that will happen, but that is why they play the games.

I think DD would fire himself he he can not produce a winner on the football field and think he will not hesitate to fire others that can not produce either. Winning does make a difference. Not saying that Sim is not a good guy but he simply needs to do better.
    First off, let me say that yes, this past team underachieved. But it's not going to get any easier to win in baseball around here. Especially when the university doesn't give a damn about baseball. If you knew what the recruiting budget was this year, you'd laugh your butt off. $5000. Yes, that's only 3 zeros. Hard to recruit on that. Hard to do anything on that. Some high school and juco players were definitely missed due to the simple fact that we couldn't afford to recruit them. Oh, and there was also a recruting "freeze" for a big part of the summer. Oddly enough, that's when most of the recruiting is done. When coaches are having to pay out of their own pockets to eat, sleep, and travel when recruiting, something is bad wrong. I'm sure this isn't limited to baseball only. And we're supposed to be "ELITE'???

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mentechsters View Post
    And we're supposed to be "ELITE'???

MORE elite.

Bulldog baseballfan has turned a few heads around herebaseballfan has turned a few heads around herebaseballfan has turned a few heads around herebaseballfan has turned a few heads around here baseballfan's Avatar

The old catch 22, if you win they will want to come to play for you, if you don't win, it is more difficult to get the top players to come.

Look at Fresno State; they are starting to get players who had looked to play elsewhere and those who would not have considered playing there. That of course will make it tougher to get top players for other teams even thought we don't pull from the same recruit pool.

Champ beaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

hard to make that arguement though when he had one of his best teams in years and laid an egg. I agree that the budget is pathetic but this team could have recruited itself with some postseason action.

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by mentechsters View Post
    First off, let me say that yes, this past team underachieved. But it's not going to get any easier to win in baseball around here. Especially when the university doesn't give a damn about baseball. If you knew what the recruiting budget was this year, you'd laugh your butt off. $5000. Yes, that's only 3 zeros. Hard to recruit on that. Hard to do anything on that. Some high school and juco players were definitely missed due to the simple fact that we couldn't afford to recruit them. Oh, and there was also a recruting "freeze" for a big part of the summer. Oddly enough, that's when most of the recruiting is done. When coaches are having to pay out of their own pockets to eat, sleep, and travel when recruiting, something is bad wrong. I'm sure this isn't limited to baseball only. And we're supposed to be "ELITE'???
    It is hard to blame this year's possible lack of recruiting success on money. I don't believe the budget changed did it? I know, I know...there was a freeze, but your assertion that most of the recruiting takes place in the summer is wrong. There is a signing period in November and February of players' senior years and that is when most kids sign.

My point is that blaming last year's woes on a poor recruiting budget in incomplete. Sim himself declared the last 4 or 5 recruiting classes each as better than any he'd seen before. So what happened to those great recruits?

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    It is hard to blame this year's possible lack of recruiting success on money. I don't believe the budget changed did it? I know, I know...there was a freeze, but your assertion that most of the recruiting takes place in the summer is wrong. There is a signing period in November and February of players' senior years and that is when most kids sign.

My point is that blaming last year's woes on a poor recruiting budget in incomplete. Sim himself declared the last 4 or 5 recruiting classes each as better than any he'd seen before. So what happened to those great recruits?
    I didn't say that's when the signings occur. I said that's when most of the RECRUITING is done. It's the summer after their junior year. I'm not making excuses for last year. It was beyond lousy. I'm just saying it's not getting any easier to win around here in baseball. And yes, the budget DID change.

Champ JDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant future JDubyadawg's Avatar

What is the budget and how much of it is for travel?

Varsity Bulldog grimey has turned a few heads around heregrimey has turned a few heads around heregrimey has turned a few heads around here grimey's Avatar

Now that our AD is in there and has a football background, I would say the budget increase for baseball is minimum at best. Not a knock on him, just baseball is a useless sport to most football people.

Champ falcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her game falcon's Avatar

Baseball Re: Ouch! Rivals.com Grades WAC

Quote Originally Posted by grimey View Post
    Now that our AD is in there and has a football background, I would say the budget increase for baseball is minimum at best. Not a knock on him, just baseball is a useless sport to most football people.
    I think that Dooley is a baseball fan...he attended a lot of home games this year.Hopefully he has observed that the recruiting money needs to be jacked up considerably.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by falcon View Post
    I think that Dooley is a baseball fan...he attended a lot of home games this year.Hopefully he has observed that the recruiting money needs to be jacked up considerably.
    Dooley is just a sports fan in general. Soccer, hockey, football. He will watch it.

Varsity Bulldog grimey has turned a few heads around heregrimey has turned a few heads around heregrimey has turned a few heads around here grimey's Avatar

It is his job to watch the Tech sports. I just hope he wants them to succeed as much as football. It is ovious from the non sell out crowd he has his work cut out for him. But I feel his first obilgation will be to football. If it does better then baseball will see some. I hope I am wrong and he sends much needed funds to the other sports even if football does not get better//

+ Reply to Thread