+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: More Sun Belt stuff

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Re: More Sun Belt stuff

How in the hell does adding La Tech and all Ruston brings with it making the conference more elite? Where the do you think you are in the world of D-1 college athletics anyway?

I won't address the elite status because I'm not totally sold on it myself, however I will address how adding Tech will help the Belt in response to your question to me earlier. If Tech were to join the Belt bringing the number of football to 11, I'm confident another school would be added to make it a 12 team league which would then allow the Belt to establish a championship game which I'm sure would be added to some t.v. package. Also, whether many of the Tech people want to admit, there is some rivalry with Tech and the Sunbelt schools-ULM, ULL, and AState for example. The continuation of those series would get good travel from fans. Not as good as we would likely get from CUSA schools, but I believe an improvement over what we're seeing from the WAC. I think the admins at ULL, AState and ULM would gladly be in favor of us coming back, and I think schools like Troy and other newcomers would welcome our history and proven track record.

I love how you guys call the Ibowl guys assholes, but then in another thread on here talk about the number of La Tech alum with the IBowl. Well done sir. Again La Tech brings nothing to the table for the CUSA or the Belt.

The La Tech alum associated with the I-bowl that don't do what they can to help us get the respect we should from those on the board of the I-bowl are assholes as far as I am concerned. Just because a person is an alum of the same school as I am doesn't mean he/she isn't an asshole. There are many on this board and away from it who, I'm sure, would say the same about me. Heck, I bet Jim Oakes thought that about many of the posters on this board for years.

Puppy stAte is an unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    By the way, I did not realize Arkansas State had changed its mascot. Seems to be a common theme for Sunbelt teams.
    We can't all have a name as unique as Bulldogs. I promise you having Indians as a name brought us more publicity than Bulldogs does for you. (Before you start flamming me for that, I'm not saying it was all good publicity.) Red Wolves is not being used by any other college or pro team. That mascot will become synonymous with ASU athletics. Unlike the Adrian College, Alabama A&M University, Bryant University, Butler University, Fresno State,The Citadel, College of San Mateo, Concordia University, Drake University, Ferris State University, Gardner-Webb University, Georgetown University, University of Georgia, Gonzaga University, James Madison University, Kettering University, Louisiana Tech University, University of Minnesota Duluth, Mississippi State University, North Carolina A&T State University, University of North Carolina at Asheville, Samford University, South Carolina State University, University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez, University of Redlands, Texas Lutheran University, Truman State University, Western Illinois University, Wilberforce University, Wingate University, Yale University Bulldogs.
    However, when I think Bulldogs I think La Tech athletics first and formost.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stAte View Post
    We can't all have a name as unique as Bulldogs. I promise you having Indians as a name brought us more publicity than Bulldogs does for you. (Before you start flamming me for that, I'm not saying it was all good publicity.) Red Wolves is not being used by any other college or pro team. That mascot will become synonymous with ASU athletics. Unlike the Adrian College, Alabama A&M University, Bryant University, Butler University, Fresno State,The Citadel, College of San Mateo, Concordia University, Drake University, Ferris State University, Gardner-Webb University, Georgetown University, University of Georgia, Gonzaga University, James Madison University, Kettering University, Louisiana Tech University, University of Minnesota Duluth, Mississippi State University, North Carolina A&T State University, University of North Carolina at Asheville, Samford University, South Carolina State University, University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez, University of Redlands, Texas Lutheran University, Truman State University, Western Illinois University, Wilberforce University, Wingate University, Yale University Bulldogs.
    However, when I think Bulldogs I think La Tech athletics first and formost.
    I like Red Wolves for a mascot. Is that what your mascot is now? Of course, it could have to do with the fact that my high school mascot was the wolves. But, I just like wolves in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    How in the hell does adding La Tech and all Ruston brings with it making the conference more elite? Where the do you think you are in the world of D-1 college athletics anyway?

I won't address the elite status because I'm not totally sold on it myself, however I will address how adding Tech will help the Belt in response to your question to me earlier. If Tech were to join the Belt bringing the number of football to 11, I'm confident another school would be added to make it a 12 team league which would then allow the Belt to establish a championship game which I'm sure would be added to some t.v. package. Also, whether many of the Tech people want to admit, there is some rivalry with Tech and the Sunbelt schools-ULM, ULL, and AState for example. The continuation of those series would get good travel from fans. Not as good as we would likely get from CUSA schools, but I believe an improvement over what we're seeing from the WAC. I think the admins at ULL, AState and ULM would gladly be in favor of us coming back, and I think schools like Troy and other newcomers would welcome our history and proven track record.

I love how you guys call the Ibowl guys assholes, but then in another thread on here talk about the number of La Tech alum with the IBowl. Well done sir. Again La Tech brings nothing to the table for the CUSA or the Belt.

The La Tech alum associated with the I-bowl that don't do what they can to help us get the respect we should from those on the board of the I-bowl are assholes as far as I am concerned. Just because a person is an alum of the same school as I am doesn't mean he/she isn't an asshole. There are many on this board and away from it who, I'm sure, would say the same about me. Heck, I bet Jim Oakes thought that about many of the posters on this board for years.
    Thank you dirty dog for getting us back on topic. I don't know that ULM would want to be in the same conference as you guys based on recent events, however I don't fully know the history there so I could be mistaken. I can't speak for any of the schools admins because I don't know, but I don't think there is a good relationship between Wright Waters and Tech.

Quote Originally Posted by rtr002 View Post
    well with 12 football playing schools you could set up a north and south division possibly like the SEC and the Big XII, but you would have to find one other school that plays football. I hope your right about our old WAC pals getting us in C-USA. That's what I personally want to see happen.
    What do ya'll think the chances of getting a CUSA invite are?

2005 NFL Survivor Contest Champion RXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of light RXDAWG's Avatar

That's a loaded question! There are a lot of IF's attached to that. We have been stuck in neutral for over a decade now, therefore have fallen behind a lot of up and coming schools (ie Boise St). We now have a very forward thinking AD. So IF we start to generate interest in the program that we lost for a decade, IF we improve our facilities, IF we increase our alumni giving, IF we actually sell season tickets, we MIGHT catch up and be ready for the next re-alignment!

I'll be honest with you which is going to be contrary to most on here, but I would rather go back to the Sunbelt than join CUSA at this point. I see CUSA as going down and not being any better than the Sunbelt within 2 to 3 years time. I can get excited about playing USM, but the other CUSA schools excite me no more than the Sunbelt schools except ULM. I've only been to one Tech/ULM game, so there's really no rivalry there for me, but there is for many of the older alums in N. La. who would embrace this game every year. I would love to get it going with ULL again. That's more of my rivalry due to my heritage of growing up in S. Louisiana and family members playing there and others attending school there and actually on staff. To be honest, the only reason I'm in favor of the WAC membership is that there are high quality teams that are getting national respect, and we are getting more revenue than we would from the Belt at this time, but that's going to be changing unless we can start doing better as a conference in basketball. I hate to say it, but even though Boise and Fresno bring some national recognition in football, and I do get excited about playing them, it's not like it should be in which I will have a chance to make our games at their stadiums every time we play there, and to me, that's what it should be about. Being able to travel to the away conference games. The fact I can't do that takes out some of the luster of being in the WAC. But for now, I don't think there is any better conference for us to be associated with than the WAC that's not a BCS conference, so I'm happy where we are. I'm just saying that my stance of totally anti-Sunbelt is softening. Of course, I've been known to be one that panics really easily, so my thinking on this conference affiliation scenario might be a little irrational based on that. I'm sure Hogdog will straighten me out promptly.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    I'll be honest with you which is going to be contrary to most on here, but I would rather go back to the Sunbelt than join CUSA at this point. I see CUSA as going down and not being any better than the Sunbelt within 2 to 3 years time. I can get excited about playing USM, but the other CUSA schools excite me no more than the Sunbelt schools except ULM. I've only been to one Tech/ULM game, so there's really no rivalry there for me, but there is for many of the older alums in N. La. who would embrace this game every year. I would love to get it going with ULL again. That's more of my rivalry due to my heritage of growing up in S. Louisiana and family members playing there and others attending school there and actually on staff. To be honest, the only reason I'm in favor of the WAC membership is that there are high quality teams that are getting national respect, and we are getting more revenue than we would from the Belt at this time, but that's going to be changing unless we can start doing better as a conference in basketball. I hate to say it, but even though Boise and Fresno bring some national recognition in football, and I do get excited about playing them, it's not like it should be in which I will have a chance to make our games at their stadiums every time we play there, and to me, that's what it should be about. Being able to travel to the away conference games. The fact I can't do that takes out some of the luster of being in the WAC. But for now, I don't think there is any better conference for us to be associated with than the WAC that's not a BCS conference, so I'm happy where we are. I'm just saying that my stance of totally anti-Sunbelt is softening. Of course, I've been known to be one that panics really easily, so my thinking on this conference affiliation scenario might be a little irrational based on that. I'm sure Hogdog will straighten me out promptly.
    I...mostly...agree. I would like the opportunity to travel to more away games.

Big 12 or bust.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

I don't know that ULM would want to be in the same conference as you guys based on recent events, however I don't fully know the history there so I could be mistaken.
    Of course they would. That's what they got their panties in a bunch for in the first place - they want to play us.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

CUSA?

We are aiming for the big 12 once UC leaves......

+ Reply to Thread