+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The "I'm Ready for Some Football" Summer Trivia Quiz

Big Dog SkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the rough

Re: The "I'm Ready for Some Football" Summer Trivia Quiz

1.Name four NFL kickers who were former Bulldogs.

Gonzo Dog got the easy one:
    David Lee
    Chris Boniol
    Matt Stover
    Josh Scobee

What about George Benyola?

2. By what nefarious method did Terry Bradshaw acquire spending money while at Tech?

"borrowin" and cashing in of "deposit" coke-cola bottles....
    Dwayne was correct, but there are also a ‘second method,' not counting herding Coach S's kids.

3. In addition to running the football team and P.E. department at Tech during World War II, what role did Coach Joe Aillet have in the war effort?

4. What Tech football head coach was later a head coach in the annual Rose Bowl game?

good job, inudesu

William H. "Lone Star" Dietz

http://www.latechbbb.com/forum/showt...ight=hall+fame

Dietz was also head coach of the Boston Redskins (now Washington Redskins), a team named in honor of him because he was a Sioux Indian.

5. What was different about the Bulldog football teams of 1943 and 1944?

TulsaPup correctly noted there was no 1943 team. What was different about the '44 team?

6. At the annual Bulldog football banquet in 1973, comedian Jerry Clower told of a Tech star who “doesn’t want to practice, he just wants to play in the game.” Who was he referring to?
    Roger Carr?

Champ roughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to behold roughedge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterDawg View Post

David Lee
    Chris Boniol
    Matt Stover
    Josh Scobee
    What about George Benyola?
    That's the five I'm aware of; there may be others.

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    3. In addition to running the football team and P.E. department at Tech during World War II, what role did Coach Joe Aillet have in the war effort?

My neighbor growing up, Jim Leachman from Choudrant, recounted that Coach Aillet was somehow tied to the guard unit in which he was a member.

Not sure if this is what the answer is, but I heard some great stories about Coach Aillet from him.

Big Jim was the one that got me hooked on Louisiana Tech.

Incidentally when we moved into our house Bastrop, Coach Billy Jack Talton has just moved out and was on his way to Ruston.
    Did Jim Leachman ever live in Bastrop?

Big Dog SkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the rough

David Lee
    Chris Boniol
    Matt Stover
    Josh Scobee

2. By what nefarious method did Terry Bradshaw acquire spending money while at Tech?

"borrowin" and cashing in of "deposit" coke-cola bottles....
    Dwayne was correct, but there are also a ‘second method,' not counting herding Coach S's kids.

4. What Tech football head coach was later a head coach in the annual Rose Bowl game?

good job, inudesu

William H. "Lone Star" Dietz

http://www.latechbbb.com/forum/showt...ight=hall+fame

Dietz was also head coach of the Boston Redskins (now Washington Redskins), a team named in honor of him because he was a Sioux Indian.

5. What was different about the Bulldog football teams of 1943 and 1944?

TulsaPup correctly noted there was no 1943 team. What was different about the '44 team?

6. At the annual Bulldog football banquet in 1973, comedian Jerry Clower told of a Tech star who “doesn’t want to practice, he just wants to play in the game.” Who was he referring to?
    Roger Carr?

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

I didn't think Benyola played in the NFL.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    I didn't think Benyola played in the NFL.

He played for the Giants.

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roughedge View Post
    Fred Dean?
    Go Tech!

Jerry Pope?

Champ roughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to behold roughedge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterDawg View Post

Roger Carr?
    SkeetDawg got it right on his first guess.

I believe the only questions left are:

2. another nefarious 'fund raiser' Terry Bradshaw used to acquire spending money while at Tech

and

5. What was different about the 1944 football team?

Quote Originally Posted by roughedge View Post
    I believe the only questions left are:

2. another nefarious 'fund raiser' Terry Bradshaw used to acquire spending money while at Tech

and

5. What was different about the 1944 football team?
    To finish up the quiz:
    2. Terry mentions in his book that he also conducted a "March of Dimes" fundraiser, going door to door in the dorm for donations and then spent it on pizza.

5. The 1944 team was composed largely of active duty U.S. Marines and Navy sailors who were at Tech as part of a WWII officer training program. Halfway through the football season, many of those players had to go off to war. One of those players utlimately ended up as a major general in the U.S. Army.

+ Reply to Thread