+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Flagship"?

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Re: "Flagship"?

A state that encourages competition trying to raise several schools in status? What?

http://www.star-telegram.com/arlingt...ry/952994.html

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    A state that encourages competition trying to raise several schools in status? What?

http://www.star-telegram.com/arlingt...ry/952994.html
    Come on. The Louisiana legislature is not interested in doing what WORKS, they want to do it the way they've always done it. lsu is apparently too crappy to be able to compete with another school, so it has to be propped up and protected by the state government. If they really were everything they pretend to be, then open competition would not threaten their status.

The education "system" in Louisiana reminds me so much of the old state-owned enterprise system in the USSR and People's Republic of China. Prop 'em up, subsidize 'em, and restrict competition. That model sure proved effective, so I guess it's understandable why the Louisiana government would want to emulate it.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Open competition would force LSU to be more competitive.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    Come on. The Louisiana legislature is not interested in doing what WORKS, they want to do it the way they've always done it. lsu is apparently too crappy to be able to compete with another school, so it has to be propped up and protected by the state government. If they really were everything they pretend to be, then open competition would not threaten their status.

The education "system" in Louisiana reminds me so much of the old state-owned enterprise system in the USSR and People's Republic of China. Prop 'em up, subsidize 'em, and restrict competition. That model sure proved effective, so I guess it's understandable why the Louisiana government would want to emulate it.
    I knew you'd like that article. :icon_wink:

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

I wish we could get LSUS under Tech that would be huge boost, I don't know how many times I've heard "I went to Tech for my undergrad but had to lsu to get my MD" Not to mention we could probably integrate our Biomed/Nano more and become a medical research facility. Imagine in 5 years "This amazing new treatment that Louisiana Tech has invented will eliminate cancer 100% with Zero chance of recurrance."

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    I wish we could get LSUS under Tech that would be huge boost, I don't know how many times I've heard "I went to Tech for my undergrad but had to lsu to get my MD" Not to mention we could probably integrate our Biomed/Nano more and become a medical research facility. Imagine in 5 years "This amazing new treatment that Louisiana Tech has invented will eliminate cancer 100% with Zero chance of recurrance."
    It's all semantics, really. Louisiana has a fouled up and confusing higher education "system." A medical student is no more a student of "LSU" as one would traditionally think of it than someone at UNO, and no more part of the same school than ULM and ULL students. Yes, they are under the same system umbrella, but they are separate institutions.

For whatever reason, LSU-HSC-S bears the full "Louisiana State University" monicker, but it is a separate institution from the school in BR (and from the HSC in New Orleans, for that matter). If we had just one university system (which makes the most sense for a state this size), it might be a little less confusing.

I like the way Georgia does it (surprise!). One university system (so Ga Tech and UGA are in the same system, even though clearly not the same school) and the med school is called "Medical College of Georgia" and is part of the same system.

I think this is one more way that the legislature came up with to create the "flagship myth." The med schools have no more to do with the campus in BR than ULM's pharmacy school has to do with Tech.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Oh, how our lot in life would be so different had Pop Ropp not turned down the Pharmacy School at NLU!
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK View Post
    Oh, how our lot in life would be so different had Pop Ropp not turned down the Pharmacy School at NLU!
    I've never heard that. I think I would have preferred never to have known that. :bigcry:

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

"What would an engineering school want with a pharmacy curriculum?"

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

The answer is obviously....$$$$$$$$$

It is that type of parochial thinking that has dominated Tech for far too long. And the level of inbreeding in Tech's top administration bears that out.

If FJayTaylor had been asked the same question, we'd have a damned pharmacy school in Lincoln Parish! I think DR would have also quickly taken the opportunity.

+ Reply to Thread