+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friends

Puppy I d'Claire has turned a few heads around hereI d'Claire has turned a few heads around hereI d'Claire has turned a few heads around hereI d'Claire has turned a few heads around hereI d'Claire has turned a few heads around here

Question Friends

I never realized until just now that I have no "Friends" here plus I don't know how or why to have "Friends"...would someone tell me what that's all about? Someone wanted to be my "Friend" but I'm not sure I correctly replied or not.

Do you have to be "Friends" to exchange Private Messages or not?

Thanks,

Ann

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Re: Friends

Quote Originally Posted by I d'Claire View Post
    I never realized until just now that I have no "Friends" here plus I don't know how or why to have "Friends"...would someone tell me what that's all about? Someone wanted to be my "Friend" but I'm not sure I correctly replied or not.

Do you have to be "Friends" to exchange Private Messages or not?

Thanks,

Ann
    That depends. Do you want to be friends with this person or friends with "benefits"?

Actually, you can exchange private messages with anyone whether friends or not unless they block that feature. I'm not sure what the "friends" thing involves. I got one of the mods to try to explain it to me, but still really don't understand.

Puppy I d'Claire has turned a few heads around hereI d'Claire has turned a few heads around hereI d'Claire has turned a few heads around hereI d'Claire has turned a few heads around hereI d'Claire has turned a few heads around here

Big Grin Re: Friends

Every now and then I try to sit down and explore additional options on this website and I always find something new. I'm an administrator on an international website and always wonder why new members can't figure things out - and here I am totally lost!

Once I get a grasp on the "Friends" option, I want to pursue "Reputations". I also just found some messages others had sent me in my User CP months ago that I didn't know were there.

I think I need Basic Orienteering 101!!

Champ BulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the rough

I don't have any friends either. :bigcry: Sorry...couldn't help but be facetious. I didn't know that the friends option existed either until the other day.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

I'm going to take an educated guess ( ) and say that it was NWLA T.A.G. that sent you the friend request. You accepted it properly. If you go to User CP (Control Panel) and look down the left hand column, you'll see "Networking" and then "Contacts & Friends" there. It is just similar to myspace's friends section.

I just... err.... I would assume that whomever controls the TAG account ( ) was going off the top of his head thinking of people that live in NW LA and was adding them.

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

I'll be your friend I D'claire! I'm of the opinion you can never have too many!

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    That depends. Do you want to be friends with this person or friends with "benefits"?
    And to think I wasted a perfectly good green dot on you on another thread when I should have saved it for this right here! I laughed so hard I spit on my computer screen.

I think I should be allowed to give DD unlimited green dots.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Oh get a room you two....

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    Oh get a room you two....
    Are you feeling left out?

I gave you a green dot just a few days ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgmatic View Post
    Are you feeling left out?

I gave you a green dot just a few days ago!
    Jealous.

That green dot felt good too!! :icon_wink:

I'll probably regret asking but what is a "green dot"?

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    Jealous.

That green dot felt good too!! :icon_wink:
    Here's some love for you. Reciprocation is always appreciated by ladies - and me too! Hand out a dot, baby! :icon_wink:

Quote Originally Posted by I d'Claire View Post
    I'll probably regret asking but what is a "green dot"?
    You see those little green dots under your Pug Picture? Green dots mean you are doing good! Click on User CP in the left hand corner and you will see who has been nice to you! Red dots are bad! But usually you will get a red dot from someone you wouldn't want approval from anyway! Green and red dots are your reputation. Someone with all Red is bad indeed! You can give approval as well as receiving (take notes, Doc!:icon_wink

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgmatic View Post
    You see those little green dots under your Pug Picture? Green dots mean you are doing good! Click on User CP in the left hand corner and you will see who has been nice to you! Red dots are bad! But usually you will get a red dot from someone you wouldn't want approval from anyway! Green and red dots are your reputation. Someone with all Red is bad indeed! You can give approval as well as receiving (take notes, Doc!:icon_wink
    Well!! I would have never figured that one out!!

Thanks! That's interesting - I like the concept!!

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar

Several people have asked about the friendships, so here goes a bit of an explanation and history.

vBulletin (or forum software) started out as just a message board. It, along with some others, like IPB, are considered some of the better, more advanced, progressive developers of this type of software around. For a long time, people were just looking for a message board. Now, people want more. With the advance of MySpace, Facebook, and some of the other social networking sites, vBulletin saw that they needed to expand their offerings and the capabilities of the software. So about 18 months ago, they came out with their first additional product, vBlog, which is a blogging package that integrates into vBulletin. We have that here so our members CAN blog as well as post on the message board. Now they are starting to take that to another level by adding in Social Networking in the 3.7 release of the software. These functions all tie in together.

The Social networking allows you, the user, to create and join into Social Groups which might have a specific interest to you. In those groups, you can leave messages, post pictures, and interact with people who have the same interest as you. You can also now customize your user profile. You can have more detailed information about yourself in your profile, tie it into your blog, show what social groups you are in, have a member picture (different from an avatar), and even have your own personal photo gallery. People can also leave messages on your profile.

Now the friends concept is something that you can use to restrict access to certain parts of your profile if you want to. So if you have a photo gallery, you can set it up so that only your friends can see it. I believe you can also do that with your blog, but I haven't delved into that. Also, if you go down to the "Members Online" area, your friends will show up differently so you can see if they are online at the same time you are.

I think vB has more coming on the Social Networking side, but I'm not sure. A lot of this isn't being used by our members right now, but I think in the future it will be.

Hope that helps.

Looks like you get the reputation now. To leave a reputation (positive or negative) for someone, click the "scales" underneath their avatar.

Chris

+ Reply to Thread