+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reducing Cars on Campus

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Reducing Cars on Campus

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Re: Reducing Cars on Campus

I think high school kids should be required to have at least 2 passengers (3 total) to be allowed to drive to school. Of course, some kids driving from rural areas would be allowed exemptions, but they could easily pick up kids in town or on their way.

I think at Tech, students should be encouraged to car pool from their hometowns, but not mandatory. A kid from Dallas should be allowed to bring his car on campus. However, I think students living on campus should be required to PARK their cars and walk/ride bikes to class.

Also, some type of bus/trolley system would be nice to have for rainy days like today. You could have to "Green" buses that have a set route around campuses, including Tech Farm. Have the buses run 1 hour before classes begin and 1 hour after end of last class. You could have one that goes for 30 minutes after the library closes as well.

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    I think high school kids should be required to have at least 2 passengers (3 total) to be allowed to drive to school. Of course, some kids driving from rural areas would be allowed exemptions, but they could easily pick up kids in town or on their way.

I think at Tech, students should be encouraged to car pool from their hometowns, but not mandatory. A kid from Dallas should be allowed to bring his car on campus. However, I think students living on campus should be required to PARK their cars and walk/ride bikes to class.

Also, some type of bus/trolley system would be nice to have for rainy days like today. You could have to "Green" buses that have a set route around campuses, including Tech Farm. Have the buses run 1 hour before classes begin and 1 hour after end of last class. You could have one that goes for 30 minutes after the library closes as well.
    Absolutely horrible idea. What is this country coming to? "Only 1 student in that car? Sorry son you can't go to school today."

No way to enforce it, on top of being a bad idea anyway. Would just bring more stupid rules with lots of red tape.

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

In that article it says that a HS is using a 100k federal grant (tax payer money) to build a bike path to school. Why don't they buy all the kids lap tops with that kind of money. No, we are biking to school now. Holy God.

And whats worse, this article is praising this. Geez.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

When I was in HS, I believe it was mandatory to have at least 3 students in the car. There was a teacher at the entrance to make sure. If you didn't have 3, you had to park on the street.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

My mother said that her freshman year (1967) freshmen were not allowed to have cars on campus. I'm sure they were forced to change over the years but there is a precedent.

Champ 96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough 96bulldog's Avatar

I don't know what the current situation is, but when I was on campus when they revised the parking zones in the mid 90's. I totally supported anything that prevented students from driving around the main part of campus looking for a parking space just so they could get closer to class.

Anything we can do to get students to park their cars at the dorms and walk/ride to class should be encouraged. I had a mountain bike my last three years and loved riding to class, even when I lived at married student housing out at the Tech Farm.

If it rained, I usuaully used an umbrella and either walked to class or got dropped off.

Reducing traffic around campus improves pedestrian safety, promotes a quieter and more beautiful campus, and gets more students to actually exercise and be healthier. And by actually removing roadways through campus (like the Centennial Plaza did), it can drastically reduce crime by eliminating easy escape routes (which is what happened).

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Higher parking permits for oncampus vehichles would be one way. I pay through the nose for the my daughter to have a car on campus at SCarolina. And I fear it's going up because of these sentiments. . . less parking spaces available for more cars being brought to town.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ RhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

A large portion of the Tech campus will be closed to traffic one day. The process is already underway but will be phased in over many, many, many years. It started with the construction of Centennial Plaza. The next phase was just implemented. The Everett Street bridge will never reopen to vehicular traffic. Only pedestrians, bicycles and I assume Segways will be allowed. Next step will be to close Wisteria Street from where the west end of Centennial Plaza hits it up to the new pedestrian bridge at Railroad Avenue.

Varsity Bulldog TechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the rough

Since we're eventually going to perform a car-ectomy on campus, I think we should start installing these http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/1633/77/

Why? Because they're cool (that may be because of the mechanical engineer in me). I know this is random, but I just saw this not too long ago and thought about it while reading this thread. I just picture them without the thumbprint recognition and, instead, students would just swipe their Tech IDs.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechME View Post
    Since we're eventually going to perform a car-ectomy on campus, I think we should start installing these http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/1633/77/

Why? Because they're cool (that may be because of the mechanical engineer in me). I know this is random, but I just saw this not too long ago and thought about it while reading this thread. I just picture them without the thumbprint recognition and, instead, students would just swipe their Tech IDs.
    Speaking of swiping IDs, I wish they would set that up so that students could have access to Tolliver over the break. With an ID swipe they'd know who was coming in, and it could even trigger a notification at the police station so they will be aware when making their rounds.

I have my comprehensive exams coming up in a couple of weeks and I really like studying in there.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    Speaking of swiping IDs, I wish they would set that up so that students could have access to Tolliver over the break. With an ID swipe they'd know who was coming in, and it could even trigger a notification at the police station so they will be aware when making their rounds.

I have my comprehensive exams coming up in a couple of weeks and I really like studying in there.
    You should suggest that to SGA and get a couple students to push for that.

+ Reply to Thread