+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Olympics Thread

2005 NFL Survivor Contest Champion RXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of light RXDAWG's Avatar

Re: The Olympics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Estimates on endorsement income he will receive? I haven't heard, but I'd guess he is about to be the #2 guy behind Tiger.
    On TV they said around 5 million per year; I don't know if that was one sponsor or total.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RXDAWG View Post
    On TV they said around 5 million per year; I don't know if that was one sponsor or total.
    That is what it is currently, but I heard Nike might try to get him and offer his own line of swimwear. That would mean much bigger bucks.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyDawg View Post
    How many medals can Phelps win considering he is only 23 and should be competative in London and also in 8 years? He will be favored in every 200 event and the 4*100 IM.

I don't think it is out of the question that he has the capability of winning over 20 gold medals and 25-30 medals total.
    he won't likely be quite as dominant in 4 years, and may not be dominant at all in 8. he's really at the prime age for swimmers. there are a few that swim well into their 30s, but they aren't typically as competitive. of course, there's nothing typical about phelps, so he could be competitive into his 40s for all i know.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RXDAWG View Post
    I'm pretty sure the $5 mil is total. Speedo is also giving him $1 mil for breaking Spitz's record of 7 gold medals at one Olympics. I'm sure his total income will now go up to about $10 mil and a line of swimwear could be a long-term deal.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Well regardless of age he won't be as dominant in London because he isn't going to try. He said this has been too physically taxing on his body and tiring in general so while he wants to dominate every event he enters in London he doesn't plan on entering as many events.

Champ CaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really nice

I don't think he will be as dominant or swim as many events in London, but he certainly could swim 3 individual events and participate in a couple of relays. Being that he can participate with the americans on relays that should help him out with his medal count and provides a chance to avoid the prelims. If he could win half of the events he did in Beijing he would be at 18.

If he is at 18 in 8 years, put him on a couple of the relay prelims and let him focus on a race or two. 31 is old for a swimmer, but Lezak look petty good at 32 when he was chasing down the French.

Certainly 20 is a long shot, but if the world is going to catch him in any of the 200 events or the IM they better start now.
    Last edited by CaseyDawg; 08-19-2008 at 01:32 PM.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

For one of the top five most recognizable (my guess) names in sports to make anything less than $100 million per year would be a steal. What is the going rate for a 30 second spot on the Super Bowl now? What are they paying some of these NBA under achievers?

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

For one of the top five most recognizable (my guess) names in sports to make anything less than $100 million per year would be a steal. What is the going rate for a 30 second spot on the Super Bowl now? What are they paying some of these NBA under achievers?
    He better do it while the iron is hot. The iron cools quickly on Olympic athletes, not as quickly for Phelps. But, obviously his marketability is at an all-time high right now. Strike the big deal with Nike and know you are taken care of for the rest of your life with ease.

Champ latech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. Phelps is going to make big money after this Olympics. He has more fan around the world than Will Smith has ( on facebook ). More people is going to know about him than about Tiger Woods. Phelps has been on the big headlines everywhere around the world for 2 straight weeks. Billions of people watching the Olympics and they all heard or saw Phelps competing. Tiger Woods is big in the states and around the world but not on the same scale with Phelps now.
    I wouldn't say Tiger Woods is an American hero since most of the time he competes for himself not for the US. Phelps is a big American hero at this Olympics.
    ________
    BBW ASIAN
    Last edited by latech; 04-29-2011 at 11:08 PM.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    I'm pretty sure the $5 mil is total. Speedo is also giving him $1 mil for breaking Spitz's record of 7 gold medals at one Olympics. I'm sure his total income will now go up to about $10 mil and a line of swimwear could be a long-term deal.
    Re: Nike . . . .I would imagine the $1 million Speedo payoff carries an exclusive deal for a significant time length. Lots of those Speedo Lazr suits (what? $550 each?) will be under the Christmas tree of many age-group swimmers this year.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Re: Nike . . . .I would imagine the $1 million Speedo payoff carries an exclusive deal for a significant time length. Lots of those Speedo Lazr suits (what? $550 each?) will be under the Christmas tree of many age-group swimmers this year.
    You have GOT to be kidding!

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

And the best part (for Speedo) is that those types of suits wear out very fast. You pretty much have to paint them on, then once you swim a meet or two they are streched out (which defeats the point of having it). So if Mom or Dad are stupid enough to buy their "just for fun" level kid one for Christmas, they may be buying another one for Easter.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Looks like Dawgpix is right.

$550 for the full body suit, $350 for the lower body suit, and a cool $290 for the shorts.

http://www.speedousa.com/family/inde...goryId=3132091

Of course, they have Phelps all over their site and you are "allowed" to pre-order the new LZR suit. They are about to make some dough.

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    Looks like Dawgpix is right.

$550 for the full body suit, $350 for the lower body suit, and a cool $290 for the shorts.

http://www.speedousa.com/family/inde...goryId=3132091

Of course, they have Phelps all over their site and you are "allowed" to pre-order the new LZR suit. They are about to make some dough.
    I want the full body top with a speedo option. Make that happen Stray.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminaire View Post
    I want the full body top with a speedo option. Make that happen Stray.
    I'm on it. I'll get it if you wear it to the MSU game...including the tailgate party, no matter how hot it is.

+ Reply to Thread