+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Olympics Thread

Champ BuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant future BuzDawg73's Avatar

Re: The Olympics Thread

I think that ceremony was probably the most elaborate spectacle ever presented by human beings in the history of mankind. At least I can't think of anything that would top it. I can't begin to imagine how much rehearsal that took.

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

Incredible. That whole spectacle made the Cirque de Soleil look like a Willy Wonka halftime show. When they lifted that dude up, I was like, "screw that". But it turned out to be a cool effect with him running around the ceiling. And yes, the boxes were amazing. I guess totalitarianism isn't all that bad after all.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

The unison of the 2,008 drummers caught my eye, too.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BUZDAWG View Post
    I think that ceremony was probably the most elaborate spectacle ever presented by human beings in the history of mankind.
    That is a perfect summary. I think I heard them say it cost 300 million for the show.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    To show you the popularity of soccer worldwide I saw some poll the other day on the worlds most popular athletes. #2 Tiger Woods. #1 .......David Beckham, well past his prime and not even playing in a very good league anymore, not one of the 25 best players in the world and he was still the most popular.

That doesn't suprise me though. The NBA is HUGE in China. They don't just follow Yao either. All the NBA stars are huge over there. They follow the NBA religiously.
    Maybe we need to recruit a chinese player at Tech. HUGE market to pass up.

Varsity Bulldog rustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her game

Former Lady Techster volleyball player Cristine Santanna quoted in story about Georgian athletes and their response to the Russian invasion earlier today:

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/new...v=ap&type=lgns

Some are reporting that Georgia may pull out of the games. That would really be tragic.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luminaire View Post
    I found it interesting that they said that Kobe, Lebron's, and D-Wade's jerseys outsell even Yao's in China.

That begs the question -- given the universal popularity of the NBA (ESPECIALLY in China), are Kobe and Lebron the most popular athletes in the world? Your first instinct is, like, Ronaldo, but neither China nor the US (two big time population bases) give a damn about soccer.

Michael Schumacher may be up there as well. And Tiger, of course.

The more I think about it....Tiger may be the obvious answer.
    Soccer is HUGE in China, far and away the most popular sport there, with basketball a very distant second. Almost no one there has heard of Tiger (there are like 3 golf courses in the country, though the Japanese are working to change that). David Beckham was the most famous athlete in China when I lived there in the late 90s, followed by other soccer players. Jordan was also really big.

It is actually a great national embarassment--and running joke--that China's men's national soccer team sucks so bad.

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    Soccer is HUGE in China, far and away the most popular sport there, with basketball a very distant second. Almost no one there has heard of Tiger (there are like 3 golf courses in the country, though the Japanese are working to change that). David Beckham was the most famous athlete in China when I lived there in the late 90s, followed by other soccer players. Jordan was also really big.

It is actually a great national embarassment--and running joke--that China's men's national soccer team sucks so bad.
    So how's the support in your household working out for the next two weeks?

A HOUSE DIVIDED.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luminaire View Post
    So how's the support in your household working out for the next two weeks?

A HOUSE DIVIDED.
    It's not real hostile, I just have to watch out using the word "we" and stick to country names so I don't increase tensions. :icon_wink:

Honestly, I don't get into it as much as I used to. For one thing, as I've gotten older I've had a much stronger urge to always pull for the underdog, and, well, Team USA is hard to frame as an underdog.

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

It's not real hostile, I just have to watch out using the word "we" and stick to country names so I don't increase tensions. :icon_wink:

Honestly, I don't get into it as much as I used to. For one thing, as I've gotten older I've had a much stronger urge to always pull for the underdog, and, well, Team USA is hard to frame as an underdog.
    WHAT. Brian, its AMERICA. We are AMERICANS, born in AMERICA, and we pull for AMERICA. (f--- yeah).

I think I would love to be in your situation. China and the US are expected to go 1-2 in the medal race, but its WIDE OPEN as to who wins. That's why I care so much this year -- there's a very real possibility that the Chinese win these Olympics.

I would be wearing Uncle Sam hats and playing the Star Spangled Banner on a recorder all throughout the household. The Mrs. would have to step her game up to get on my level!

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Thats fine if Jamaica is playing Canada in Ice Hockey. But not against USA.

You don't cheer for the underdog when your own country is the favorite!?!?!?!?!?

C'mon Brian, America needs you.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Phelps looks like he'll be awesome again swimming. He was clearly coasting at the end of his 400 medley heat and still set an Olympic record!

I didn't see any gills.
    Last edited by tenacious_dog; 08-09-2008 at 04:56 PM.

LaTech Occupy Gameday Czar! techfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    Phillips looks like he'll be awesome again swimming. He was clearly coasting at the end of his 400 medley heat and still set an Olympic record!

I didn't see any gills.
    Phillips? You mean Phelps?

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by techfan01 View Post
    Phillips? You mean Phelps?
    Yep.

Can't keep my kids & grandkids names straight either.

After that performance in the prelim, the question isn't 'does Phelps win all 8 golds', its 'just how badly does he destroy all world records?'

The man is a machine. A cyborg.

+ Reply to Thread