+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which gaming console should I buy?

Varsity Bulldog bayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nice

Which gaming console should I buy?

I bought a Wii last year and love it. It was the first gaming console I purchased since the original Playstation (marriage and kids got in the way!).

Now I want to get back to some of the controller-style games such as Madden and Call of Duty. I don't have a broadband connection, so "live play" across the internet is not a factor.

I've been considering either Xbox or Playstation3, but don't have a clue as to which one I should go with.

Also, is either platform coming out wth a new upgrade/version that I should wait for?

thanks in advance...

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

Re: Which gaming console should I buy?

The Xbox is rolling out an upgrade in the next couple of months that will solve some of their complaint issues (like switching voltage and getting rid of the cooling fan that sounds like a C130). They are also releasing a blue ray player that can be plugged into it.

PS3 comes with the Blue Ray built in. I think they both cost the same, features being equal (meaning Xbox + Blue Ray = PS3 (blue ray built in)). I think the Xbox is more popular with the online gamers, which is not a factor for you. I think they are supposed to be the same graphics wise, although I haven't personally seen a side by side comparison. They both have most of the same games (Madden and COD for sure). Only Xbox has Halo3, PS3 has a few exclusive titles but I couldn't tell you what they are. I have the Xbox.

Too bad you're not online, though. There are alot of cool features (like our NCAA '09 online dynasty).

Varsity Bulldog bayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDawg View Post
    The Xbox is rolling out an upgrade in the next couple of months that will solve some of their complaint issues (like switching voltage and getting rid of the cooling fan that sounds like a C130). They are also releasing a blue ray player that can be plugged into it.

PS3 comes with the Blue Ray built in. I think they both cost the same, features being equal (meaning Xbox + Blue Ray = PS3 (blue ray built in)). I think the Xbox is more popular with the online gamers, which is not a factor for you. I think they are supposed to be the same graphics wise, although I haven't personally seen a side by side comparison. They both have most of the same games (Madden and COD for sure). Only Xbox has Halo3, PS3 has a few exclusive titles but I couldn't tell you what they are. I have the Xbox.

Too bad you're not online, though. There are alot of cool features (like our NCAA '09 online dynasty).
    Great info! Thanks, I think I'll wait for the Xbox/Blueray rollout, even though I'm not sure what Blueray is.

The only broadband I can get is satellite, but I heard there is a lag time for online games, so it wouldn't help for gaming on an Xbox.

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

Blue Ray is the next generation of DVD media. Basically High Def. It would be a waste of money for you if you don't own a High Def. television. That alone may make the Xbox a better buy for you since it is sold separately for the Xbox. On the PS3 you would be paying for it whether you needed it or not. I feel like I'm giving you a biased opinion. Maybe someone with a PS3 could weigh in and give you their advantages. Or google "Xbox 360 vs. Playstation 3" and read the reviews.

If you do go Xbox, I would spring for the middle grade one (there are 3 grades). It comes with the detachable 20 gb hard drive and you'll definitely want that for playing Madden and COD type games.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

PS3 has a better graphics engine. It can blow away XBOX360 but they have built only a couple of games using the engine properly. It has blue ray built in for $399.99 at most retailers. Sony nation online is much improved over the old attempts at online gaming.

XBOX360 is definitely the better choice for online gaming. Graphics are very good and not to far off the top PS3 games. Most games are designed for both plaforms. The blue ray players will be like the usb HD player they had. The XBOX360 Pro version (middle grade) is the best version to get, unless you plan on storing pictures, movies, and other media on the hard drive. The only big difference between Pro and Elite is a 20 GB v. 120 GB hard drive and the elite is black.

The Pro version is selling in Dallas for $299.99 retail. Don't by the arcade version as it comes with no hard drive and is $279.00. The 20GB drive by itself will run you $100.00 causing a $80 loss on the arcade version. A 250mb memory card will run you $50 for the arcade so you would still lose $30.

I have all three PS3, XBOX360 (2 units), and Wii. Honestly I watch movies more on the PS3, and play more games on the XBOX.

Champ BulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the rough

Xbox... Although I haven't used mine in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDawg View Post
    Blue Ray is the next generation of DVD media. Basically High Def. It would be a waste of money for you if you don't own a High Def. television. That alone may make the Xbox a better buy for you since it is sold separately for the Xbox. On the PS3 you would be paying for it whether you needed it or not. I feel like I'm giving you a biased opinion. Maybe someone with a PS3 could weigh in and give you their advantages. Or google "Xbox 360 vs. Playstation 3" and read the reviews.

If you do go Xbox, I would spring for the middle grade one (there are 3 grades). It comes with the detachable 20 gb hard drive and you'll definitely want that for playing Madden and COD type games.
    What is the hard drive used for?

Champ DAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond repute DAWG DUDE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bayouboyz View Post
    What is the hard drive used for?
    It's basically used in place of a memory card.

360 is the way to go man. I got mine last week.

Champ BulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the rough

Yea. The hard drive can be used to save movies, games, music, and game data. I have not come anywhere close to filling up my 20gb hd. I would only go with the elite if you must...the mid line would be more than sufficient.

If you live in/near Ruston you are more than welcome to come see my Xbox if it will help you make your decision. I wouldn't want to plop down $400+ on an item that I haven't seen/used.

Big Dog Yarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the rough

Ecks bawks!

Ok, I'm leaning towards the XBox, thanks for the info guys!

Champ DAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond repute DAWG DUDE's Avatar

Ok, I'm leaning towards the XBox, thanks for the info guys!
    Stop leaning and just fall!

Just wondering, has the new XBox with BluRay out yet?

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

no the blu-ray will be an add on like the HD player. Last report was since the class action suit was filed against them in Cali there are delaying the holiday (supposedly Jan) launch.

Just wondering, has the new XBox with BluRay out yet?
    This is an old thread... Did you ever make a decision? I don't think that I've even used my Xbox since this last post...over a year.

+ Reply to Thread