+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forbes List of Best Colleges - Where are we?

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Forbes List of Best Colleges - Where are we?

http://www.forbes.com/2008/08/13/bes...?feed=rss_news

I may have missed it, but they ranked 569 colleges, and as far as I can tell, we weren't in it. I'm not sure what that means.

Of interest - USL is ranked above LSU.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Re: Forbes List of Best Colleges - Where are we?

Their system has a rather clear bias toward smaller liberal arts schools. Makes for some rather interesting rankings.

I'm not sure I'd use ratemyprofessor to determine student satisfaction with teaching levels. I think the biases there are a bit too strong. The concept of using student response to determine school quality strikes me as a decent one, but I'm not sure their approach works.

Another issue there is that students at "name" schools are probably more demanding than those at smaller schools -- thus their rankings might be lower.

Interesting article just the same.

Big Dog DrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to all

Hmm, I guess we messed up their rankings so they decided to not include us at all. On ratemyprofessors.com Louisiana Tech ranks 17th highest rated school out of over 6,000 schools (not sure where they got 6,000 from though). Plus our students should have a pretty low indebtedness after they graduate (at least comparably) as I think about 80% receive some sort of scholarship. We have a pretty high percentage who graduate in 4 years, but probably not as high as a liberal arts only school. Maybe we don't have a lot of people on the who's who list, there are 100,000 people on the list so surely some Tech grads on on it, I didn't go check. The other thing they measure is awards, we don't have any Nobels, but we do have other prominent awards (but I don't know what they consider prominent). Regardless, I think we would stand up pretty well.
    Last edited by DrDawg; 08-14-2008 at 05:00 PM.

Champ tigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant future tigtoo30's Avatar

Actually, there are a few Louisiana schools not on the list. Nicholls, McNeese, NSU, GSU, ULM. Who knows how many universities were left off the list.

Varsity Bulldog TechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the rough

It looks as if they hand-picked which schools they decided were going to be on the list, then ranked them accordingly (looking at their methodology http://www.forbes.com/media/lists/94...thodologyr.pdf). Doesn't seem very objective to me

"School Selection
    We chose to rank 569 schools, covering a variety of institutional types and classifications. We
    began with the first three tiers of the national doctoral universities ranked by U.S. News and
    World Report (USNWR), a total of 195 schools. In addition, we selected 186 schools, the top
    three tiers from the USNWR liberal arts college rankings. To take care of regional universities
    and colleges, we selected the top 20 master's level universities ranked from each region, North,
    South, Midwest , and West, a total of 84 schools. We also selected the top 10 baccalaureate
    colleges from each region, amounting to 41 total. We further added the 50 institutions with
    highest enrollments that were not already included in the rankings. Two schools, Sarah
    Lawrence College (#25) and Gustavus Adolphus College (#103), go unranked by USWNR and
    we saw fit to add them because of their generally fine reputations. We decided to take American
    Jewish University and Bard College at Simon's Rock out of our rankings because of their
    extremely small enrollments that led to enrollment-adjusted values for key components that were
    unrealistically non-representative of the institutions. After looking at Who's Who data for
    schools with multiple entries, we decided to add 13 new schools, Fairleigh Dickinson University,
    Carroll University, Georgia State University, Iona College, King's College of Pennsylvania,
    file:///Users/kaihecker/Desktop/college08/forbesmethodologyr.txt[8/13/08 12:51:12 PM]
    Millersville University, Rhode Island College, Rider University, St. Francis College, St. John
    Fisher College, CUNY, City College of New York, CUNY, Brooklyn, and CUNY, Queens. This
    completed our total list for ranked schools."

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc View Post
    Their system has a rather clear bias toward smaller liberal arts schools. Makes for some rather interesting rankings.

I'm not sure I'd use ratemyprofessor to determine student satisfaction with teaching levels. I think the biases there are a bit too strong. The concept of using student response to determine school quality strikes me as a decent one, but I'm not sure their approach works.

Another issue there is that students at "name" schools are probably more demanding than those at smaller schools -- thus their rankings might be lower.

Interesting article just the same.
    As are all rankings. Private schools have to have this and Princeton Review, Forbes, etc. deliver time and time again. Grad rates are huge in all of these rankings and guess what? If you get into a private school (especially a grad school), you are going to graduate if you give a minimal effort. I just started Rice's professional MBA program, lo and behold there have been two graduating classes. Does anyone want to guess what the graduation rate was for those two classes that probably totalled over 200 students? 100%.

I am not going to sit here and blow on private institutions because I am paying an ungodly amount of money to attend one currently, but there is a great degree of attention/handholding that goes on when a student is on the skids. Also, GPAs are inflated. At Rice, a 3.0 is needed to pass, but the average grade in the business school is 3.5. It is all about perception folks, the only reason I am paying the money I am paying. I will say that the learning experience has been great so far. They have very good teachers, but the learning experience might be fostered by the fact that I dont have to waste my time worrying about grades and can truly learn. Something can be said for that, but at the same time, it makes it more about getting into the university than actually completing a degree while you are there. This gives a slant to good standardized test takers and daddy's money kids. Okay, I am off of my soapbox.

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

So I've been hanging out with highty tighty Ivy League (and Stanford and MIT and Carnegie) students all Summer.

What's hilarious is --

You can NOT fail out of these schools. Professors will NOT give you a D, no matter WHAT you do. This is all to insure that they maintain their World Report rankings.

I find this funny as hell. And from the talent level of these guys, I can tell. All of these idiots are privileged, but not smart. Most of the ME and CS guys back at Tech would destroy them.

Where are you at Dhuss? Rhodes?

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luminaire View Post
    So I've been hanging out with highty tighty Ivy League (and Stanford and MIT and Carnegie) students all Summer.

What's hilarious is --

You can NOT fail out of these schools. Professors will NOT give you a D, no matter WHAT you do. This is all to insure that they maintain their World Report rankings.

I find this funny as hell. And from the talent level of these guys, I can tell. All of these idiots are privileged, but not smart. Most of the ME and CS guys back at Tech would destroy them.

Where are you at Dhuss? Rhodes?
    Rice (#41 on the list, which just looked like a list of all private institutions to me), here in H-town. Oh yeh, everything is done on the honor code also. Take home tests, quizzes, etc. You arent supposed to get help on them, so you sign a code that says you didnt. Now, I have a lot of honesty and integrity, but the temptation to take peak must be great for those who havent studied at all. Of course, most of our tests are open book anyway.

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    Rice (#41 on the list, which just looked like a list of all private institutions to me), here in H-town. Oh yeh, everything is done on the honor code also. Take home tests, quizzes, etc. You arent supposed to get help on them, so you sign a code that says you didnt. Now, I have a lot of honesty and integrity, but the temptation to take peak must be great for those who havent studied at all. Of course, most of our tests are open book anyway.
    Cool man. Rice is on the short-list of universities I'm looking at setting up shop as a professor at (and the interest is mutual!) in a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminaire View Post
    Cool man. Rice is on the short-list of universities I'm looking at setting up shop as a professor at (and the interest is mutual!) in a couple of years.
    In the business school, it seems like we have a lot of guys who have real world experience, with a few true academic types. I guess you would be in engineering, but the mba school has a large proportion of engineering students (good combo). Our strategy guy is a former engineer, so if you have some management experience plus an engineering background, you could have two options at Rice if you are interested in teaching business classes.

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    In the business school, it seems like we have a lot of guys who have real world experience, with a few true academic types. I guess you would be in engineering, but the mba school has a large proportion of engineering students (good combo). Our strategy guy is a former engineer, so if you have some management experience plus an engineering background, you could have two options at Rice if you are interested in teaching business classes.
    Pretty spot on. Its software project management / life cycle type stuff. Was my expertise in industry (though I've shifted to more forward-reaching stuff like supercomputing since my return to school).

Not quite sure if its what I want to do (I'd honestly rather teach super-fringe stuff like computing theory and AI, but options are limited there), but its an awesome school with a lovely campus. Been there many times.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Here is another college ranking list Tech didn’t make. Newsweek has listed the top 25 gay friendly schools. In addition to Rice, Brown and Duke made the list.

It looks like Northeast is finally in the top 25 of a college ranking, while at the same time we are in the bottom ten:

The Top 25 Sexually Healthy Colleges are:
    1. Columbia
    2. Michigan State
    3. Ohio State
    4. Michigan
    5. Brown
    6. Iowa
    7. Orgeon
    8. Princeton
    9. Rutgers
    10. Minnesota
    11. Western Michigan
    12. Cornell
    13. Yale
    14. Penn State
    15. West Virginia
    16. Harvard
    17. Florida
    18. Florida Atlantic
    19. Purdue
    20. Louisiana-Monroe
    21. Pittsburgh
    22. Texas
    23. UConn
    24. Rice
    25. Kansas
    The 10 Sexually Unhealthiest Colleges are:

141. Idaho
    140. BYU
    139. DePaul
    138. Marshall
    137. Chicago State
    136. Auburn
    135. Alabama
    134. Louisiana-Lafayette
    133. Louisiana Tech
    132. Notre Dame

We second to the bottom, only ahead of a Catholic university. We are worse than USL. Anybody want to posit a theory as to why we and USL are so low?
    Last edited by Soonerdawg; 10-08-2010 at 09:11 AM.

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    It looks like Northeast is finally in the top 25 of a college ranking, while at the same time we are in the bottom ten:

The Top 25 Sexually Healthy Colleges are:
    1. Columbia
    2. Michigan State
    3. Ohio State
    4. Michigan
    5. Brown
    6. Iowa
    7. Orgeon
    8. Princeton
    9. Rutgers
    10. Minnesota
    11. Western Michigan
    12. Cornell
    13. Yale
    14. Penn State
    15. West Virginia
    16. Harvard
    17. Florida
    18. Florida Atlantic
    19. Purdue
    20. Louisiana-Monroe
    21. Pittsburgh
    22. Texas
    23. UConn
    24. Rice
    25. Kansas
    The 10 Sexually Unhealthiest Colleges are:

141. Idaho
    140. BYU
    139. DePaul
    138. Marshall
    137. Chicago State
    136. Auburn
    135. Alabama
    134. Louisiana-Lafayette
    133. Louisiana Tech
    132. Notre Dame

We second to the bottom, only ahead of a Catholic university. We are worse than USL. Anybody want to posit a theory as to why we and USL are so low?

Sexual Health Report Card Categories:
    1. Health center hours of operation
    2. Availability of patient drop-in vs. appointment only
    3. Availability of separate sexual awareness program
    4. Contraceptive availability and cost
    5. Condom availability and cost
    6. HIV testing, cost and locality (on- vs. off-campus)
    7. Other STI testing, cost and locality (on- vs. off-campus)
    8. Availability of anonymous advice via email / newspaper column
    9. Existence of lecture / outreach programs
    10. Existence of student peer groups
    11. Availability of sexual assault programs
    12. Website usability and functionality
    It looks like the schools are scored on the availability of programs and materials, not on the actual sexual health of the student body (STDs among the students, sexual behaviors of the students). If Tech doesn't have much resources on its campus, then that would explain the low ranking.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TechAlum05 View Post
    Sexual Health Report Card Categories:
    1. Health center hours of operation
    2. Availability of patient drop-in vs. appointment only
    3. Availability of separate sexual awareness program
    4. Contraceptive availability and cost
    5. Condom availability and cost
    6. HIV testing, cost and locality (on- vs. off-campus)
    7. Other STI testing, cost and locality (on- vs. off-campus)
    8. Availability of anonymous advice via email / newspaper column
    9. Existence of lecture / outreach programs
    10. Existence of student peer groups
    11. Availability of sexual assault programs
    12. Website usability and functionality
    It looks like the schools are scored on the availability of programs and materials, not on the actual sexual health of the student body (STDs among the students, sexual behaviors of the students). If Tech doesn't have much resources on its campus, then that would explain the low ranking.

We don't need as much of that stuff since our students dont have all of the STDs that ULMs have.

+ Reply to Thread