+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Race Card

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

The Race Card

It is a time-honored tradition in American politics to pick your VP based largely on the weightier of two considerations: 1) He or she represents a constituency in which the candidate does not poll well and/ or 2) he or she represents a constituency in which the opponent polls well (in order to offset that effect). A great example of this is JFK's choice of LBJ as running mate to get a piece of the southern and protestant vote.

Clearly Obama has a distinct advantage over McCain on both of the factors above, so this is obviously a situation in which one would want to try to equalize that effect. The tricky bit is that the factor in question is race. This raises the question: Can McCain choose an African American running mate?

It seems to me to be a classic "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. It certainly seems in McCain's best interest to attempt to loosen the opponent's death grip on that 12-14% of the population, and help to bring the "issues" to the fore. On the other hand, if McCain chooses a black running mate it will almost certainly be loudly decried as "playing the race card," and technically that would be true.

Discuss.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Re: The Race Card

Blacks are not in play in this election - unless Obama goes all-Whitey all of a sudden.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Blacks are not in play in this election - unless Obama goes all-Whitey all of a sudden.
    But what if McCain picked Charles Barkley for his running mate. Don't you think that would loosen some things up?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

What?

Okay.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ daybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time daybreaker2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    But what if McCain picked Charles Barkley for his running mate. Don't you think that would loosen some things up?
    That would be turrible, just turrible
    "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt

Champ tigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant future tigtoo30's Avatar

It would be to McCain's advantage to get a perceived young and dynamic up and comer as a VP in order to galvanize the younger voters who are enamoured with BHO. On the other hand, it would be smart for BHO to get a older, more established, and yes I believe white, VP candidate.

If McCain get's anyone near his age, it's his nail in the coffin, and if BHO grabs a young minority, I think it could sink him as well.

You need a broad range of voters to win an election.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Here go the LIBS/DEMS with their race baiting again.

LINK

Howard Dean Calls GOP The 'White Party'...

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Here go the LIBS/DEMS with their race baiting again.
    Amazing they would pull this kind of stuff.

The current administration has had more "people of color" in real decision-making positions than any other administration I can think of. Nobody talks about it much, because unlike the dems/libs, they are not used as "tokens" by the Republican party.

When they're Republican, we seem to be able to look past their skin color.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DawgyNWindow View Post
    Amazing they would pull this kind of stuff.

The current administration has had more "people of color" in real decision-making positions than any other administration I can think of. Nobody talks about it much, because unlike the dems/libs, they are not used as "tokens" by the Republican party.

When they're Republican, we seem to be able to look past their skin color.
    don't fool yourself. they're tokens. they may be highly qualified, but you can bet they were chosen at least partly based on their skin color.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

for what it's worth, i think there's still a pretty decent chance that obama may not be the democratic nominee. look for the clinton machine to make one last attempt to snatch the nomination in the next 9 days.

(my apologies if this has already been discussed at length. i have not payed much attention to the election news or to the pawlitics board in quite a while)

Champ DogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond repute DogtorEvil's Avatar

played again:

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...says-mcca.html

Obama Says McCain Campaign Comment on this Being an Election Not About Issues Means False Attacks on Him

September 05, 2008 1:28 PM

DURYEA, Pa. -- "I know that I’m not your typical presidential candidate," Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., told executives and employees of the Schott glass company Friday afternoon, "and I just want to be honest with you. I know that."

"And I know that the temptation is to say, 'You know what? …The guy hasn’t been there that long in Washington.,' You know, 'he’s got funny name,' You know, 'we’re not sure about him,'" Obama continued. "And that’s what the Republicans, when they say, 'This isn’t about issues, it’s about personalities,' what they’re really saying is, 'We’re going to try to scare people about Barack. So we’re going to say that you know, maybe he’s got Muslim connections or we’re going to say that, you know, he hangs out with radicals or he’s not patriotic.'

"Just making stuff up," Obama said, "or that he never’s gotten anything done even though over the last 20 years I’ve given health care to kids who didn’t have it."

Champ daybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time daybreaker2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DogtorEvil View Post
    played again:

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...says-mcca.html

Obama Says McCain Campaign Comment on this Being an Election Not About Issues Means False Attacks on Him

September 05, 2008 1:28 PM

DURYEA, Pa. -- "I know that I’m not your typical presidential candidate," Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., told executives and employees of the Schott glass company Friday afternoon, "and I just want to be honest with you. I know that."

"And I know that the temptation is to say, 'You know what? …The guy hasn’t been there that long in Washington.,' You know, 'he’s got funny name,' You know, 'we’re not sure about him,'" Obama continued. "And that’s what the Republicans, when they say, 'This isn’t about issues, it’s about personalities,' what they’re really saying is, 'We’re going to try to scare people about Barack. So we’re going to say that you know, maybe he’s got Muslim connections or we’re going to say that, you know, he hangs out with radicals or he’s not patriotic.'

"Just making stuff up," Obama said, "or that he never’s gotten anything done even though over the last 20 years I’ve given health care to kids who didn’t have it."
    And? Show me where Republicans *havent* tried scaring people based on his name, the fact he went to Indonesia when 6 (oooh, he must be a muslim... even though I personally cant remember anything from when I was 6), being "unpatriotic" (the whole lapel pin thing... I mean really?), and the Ayers thing (even though Ayers has been nothing but an upstanding citizen for the last 30 years)
    "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt

Champ DogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond repute DogtorEvil's Avatar

Obama played the race card again. Admit it. It's all he has in his deck.

and for a guy who keeps crying about wanting to talk the issues, he sure does what he can to avoid talking about them,

Chickening out of the toown hall meetings that he agreed to

+ Reply to Thread