+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bolt

Big Dog jlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the rough jlam's Avatar

Re: Bolt

Quote Originally Posted by NathanDarby View Post
    Wonder if any NFL team will throw a few million his way to let them try to teach him to catch a football. At 6'6" and with that speed he would be near impossible to cover. I don't know what kind of money a person can make being a track star, but I would think NFL dollars would be much higher. Of course, we all know that raw speed does not a reciever make.
    Well whatever would give you that impression?

Champ MICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by Luminaire View Post
    Someone somewhere said 30mph

If that's as fast as he ran, I would put HD up against him any day of the week!

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

He is without a question the most amazing sprinter this world has ever seen. Next to HD of course.

Champ latech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by JAY View Post
    Bolt just won the 200 meters in 10.30, beating michael johnsons mark of 10.32.

im no math expert, but i tried to convert his 10.69 in the 100m to a 40 yard dash.

i came up with 3.91
    Jay, he ran 9.69 for 100m not 10.69. That may make the difference between your calculation and the sportcenter's calculation
    ________
    Ship Sale
    Last edited by latech; 04-29-2011 at 11:08 PM.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by NathanDarby View Post
    Wonder if any NFL team will throw a few million his way to let them try to teach him to catch a football. At 6'6" and with that speed he would be near impossible to cover. I don't know what kind of money a person can make being a track star, but I would think NFL dollars would be much higher. Of course, we all know that raw speed does not a reciever make.
    The other question is how quickly he can get up to speed. Short distances are much more important than long in the NFL. Doesn't matter how fast he goes 100 since no one's throwing the ball 100 yards. If he can't beat the DB in about 25-40, it doesn't matter much.

Great NFL speed has more to do with how fast someone goes 10 yards.

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by latech View Post
    Jay, he ran 9.69 for 100m not 10.69. That may make the difference between your calculation and the sportcenter's calculation

oooooooooooh yeah!

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by JAY View Post
    Bolt just won the 200 meters in 10.30, beating michael johnsons mark of 10.32.

im no math expert, but i tried to convert his 10.69 in the 100m to a 40 yard dash.

i came up with 3.91
    Jay, try 19.30 for his 200 time. I can't believe nobody caught that.

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DONW View Post
    Jay, try 19.30 for his 200 time. I can't believe nobody caught that.

man, i am done posting in this thread.

i cant get any of my numbers right!

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

200 meters=218.8 yards

X/40=19.3/218.8

X=3.528 sec. for 40 yards

100 meters=109.4 yards

X/40=9.68/109.4

x=3.539 sec. for 40 yards

As you can see his numbers converted to 40 yards using his 200 time and his 100 time are very close. Or the margin of victory for Michael Phelps in the butterfly.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

200 meters=218.8 yards

X/40=19.3/218.8

X=3.528 sec. for 40 yards

100 meters=109.4 yards

X/40=9.68/109.4

x=3.539 sec. for 40 yards

As you can see his numbers converted to 40 yards using his 200 time and his 100 time are very close. Or the margin of victory for Michael Phelps in the butterfly.
    that conversion doesn't work because at least 2/3 of the first 40 is acceleration. i bet he'd run at worst a 4.4, though. at his size, that's amazing.

Big Dog jlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the rough jlam's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    that conversion doesn't work because at least 2/3 of the first 40 is acceleration. i bet he'd run at worst a 4.4, though. at his size, that's amazing.
    If done in the same way as the NFL combine guys run it, I think you'd be about right.

I've seen a couple of people around the web mentioning that his 40 meter split was timed at 4.65 seconds when he was running the 100m race. Converting that to yards (which is rough, admittedly) you get about 4.25 seconds.

Then there's a couple of things that haven't been mentioned yet. First, he wouldn't have the benefit of starting blocks if running at an NFL combine-like setup. Second, the times are measured completely differently since at the combine, the clock starts at the athlete's first movement. At the Olympics (and at all track meets in general), the clock starts at the gun. So the combine setup completely eliminates the human reaction time element, which is at least a tenth of a second (more for most people).

Now I'm not even going to attempt to figure out, quantitatively, what all that comes out to, but suffice it to say that he'd probably be between 4.3 and mid 4.4s. Like AB said above, that's still a phenomenal time for a guy his size, especially considering the next gear he possesses after 40 yards.

This is all assuming that he would even run the 40 with the same strategy as he started his 100 meter run, which he likely wouldn't. So basically it's all moot.

40 times are overrated anyway. You'd have to double team Bolt every time he went long because he's going to have a running start and he's going to fly by the DB.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

40 times are overrated anyway. You'd have to double team Bolt every time he went long because he's going to have a running start and he's going to fly by the DB.
    . . . and use his 6-5 height to jump and make the catch.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Varsity Bulldog digidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the ears digidawg87's Avatar

Not all guys with speed can take or even want to get hit.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by digidawg87 View Post
    Not all guys with speed can take or even want to get hit.
    Kinda like HD -

He has blinding speed, but I heard he is scared to go across the middle...

:icon_wink:
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

+ Reply to Thread