+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Increased Insurance Premium for Obese

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Increased Insurance Premium for Obese

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Re: Increased Insurance Premium for Obese

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post

I expect it will be coming everywhere before long. It would certainly be a motivator for a lot of people, but I doubt enough to keep anyone from getting insurance.

Champ daybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time daybreaker2's Avatar

I'd be for it... I'd expect it to piss a lot of people off, but I think if you can display a medical condition that leads to obesity rather than just laziness, overeating, etc, you should get a pass on the increased rates. No fair increasing premiums for someone who is only obese because of a medical condition.
    "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daybreaker2 View Post
    I'd be for it... I'd expect it to piss a lot of people off, but I think if you can display a medical condition that leads to obesity rather than just laziness, overeating, etc, you should get a pass on the increased rates. No fair increasing premiums for someone who is only obese because of a medical condition.
    Yeah, and I also think that is where it would start to get really fuzzy. There are a lot of legitimate medical issues that contribute to obesity, but only a few of them cannot be overcome by diet and exercise.

I think I wouldn't mind seeing incentive-based programs, sort of like auto insurance offers discounts for safe drivers. Not with everything, but with stuff that is very lifestyle-dependent and also a risk factor for expensive conditions, like cholesterol level and its relationship to heart disease. I also think non-drinkers and tobacco non-users should get health insurance discounts, too.

And I still don't understand why health insurers won't pay for weight loss programs. Maybe the increased premiums due to obesity could be waived initially if the person enters a weight loss program, and keep the waiver in place as long as weight is decreasing over time. More of a brainstorm than a thought-out plan, though.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

It is unfortunate that some people have medical conditions, but if you are a health risk you are a health risk. I have a buddy who has kawasaki's Disease, he couldnt help it but he still has to pay through the nose for insurance. They shouldnt discriminate on why you are obese, then everybody will get a note saying that they dont have to pay the 25 dollars for X, Y, and Z. It is just a fact.

I have an eye disease, guess what? I cant get private disability insurance to cover a pre-existing disease (ie, if I were to go blind, my policy wouldnt cover it).

They discriminate against obese people with higher premiums or flat out rejection. You can get covered, you have to pay the piper though.

Big Dog Dawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to behold Dawgbert's Avatar

It took a genius to figure out this:

Physical Activity Can Reverse Effects Of Obesity Gene

http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Physi...ene_23922.html

+ Reply to Thread