+ Reply to Thread

Thread: $1,000 & an Idea

Hybrid View

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

$1,000 & an Idea

A new book about how one man took on the AT&T monopoly to build a highway for computers. Later he and his brother sold their Sterling Software and Sterling Commerce businesses for $8 billion (yes, billion).

That man - Sam Wyly, a LA Tech graduate.

Of course I had heard of Charles and Sam Wyly but after seeing the ad for Sam's new book in the WSJ I googled them - it is amazing all they have achieved.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Re: $1,000 & an Idea

They also owned Bonaza Steakhouses and Michael's at one point, and they currently have interest in Green Mountain Energy.
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    A new book about how one man took on the AT&T monopoly to build a highway for computers. Later he and his brother sold their Sterling Software and Sterling Commerce businesses for $8 billion (yes, billion).

That man - Sam Wyly, a LA Tech graduate.

Of course I had heard of Charles and Sam Wyly but after seeing the ad for Sam's new book in the WSJ I googled them - it is amazing all they have achieved.
    They started in Dallas with University Computing and the rest was history. Sam is quite a maverick stirring up boards of companies he buys into. Charles, an old Tech football player, is quite the philantropist.

They have been mighty good to Tech, but I sure wish they had the T. Boone Pickens bug and remodel our stadium like T. Boone did for OSU.

Not bad for a couple of Delhi kids!!

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amos Moses View Post
    They have been mighty good to Tech, but I sure wish they had the T. Boone Pickens bug and remodel our stadium like T. Boone did for OSU.!
    Ain't that the truth! Relatively speaking, they could have a bigger impact on Tech sports than Pickens did at OSU and for less money.
    Go Tech!

Champ NathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond repute NathanDarby's Avatar

Man, if I had 8 bil sitting in my pocket I would donate about two of those billion to Tech to establish a huge athletic endowment, and then another 500 million or so and build the most ridiculously badass 45000 seat stadium on the planet.

I mean, what can you buy with 8 billion that you can't buy with 5? I don't think I'd ever even miss the 3 or so I gave to Tech.

Of course, it is always easy to spend imaginary money, and easier still to spend other people's money!
    Last edited by EJ; 09-06-2008 at 10:06 PM. Reason: million, billion, whatever

Varsity Bulldog techfreak is just really nicetechfreak is just really nicetechfreak is just really nicetechfreak is just really nicetechfreak is just really nicetechfreak is just really nicetechfreak is just really nicetechfreak is just really nicetechfreak is just really nicetechfreak is just really nicetechfreak is just really nice techfreak's Avatar

The new performing arts center in downtown Dallas will bear the name of Charles and Dee Wyly. Philantropy indeed! I'm sure a nice amount of money was donated to get that honor. The building is designed by one of the best architects in the world. It's going up right next to the new opera house. Here is a link:

http://www.dallasperformingarts.org/...lytheatre.aspx

+ Reply to Thread