+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soda, Coke, or Pop?

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Re: Soda, Coke, or Pop?

i pimp slap people who say pop.

i've lived in illinois. i'm serious.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9701Dawg View Post
    Do you Xerox or copy?
    50/50 on that one, but I almost grab a bandaid - that might be another brand of adhesive bandage.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDawg View Post
    Danged if they didn't find the only yankee that lives in Catahoula Parish!
    Nah, they probably said "sodie pop" and the pollsters couldn't figure out what sodie meant.:icon_wink:

Heard "sodie pop" my whole life along with "light bread". Lunch was called dinner and dinner was called supper.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Nah, they probably said "sodie pop" and the pollsters couldn't figure out what sodie meant.:icon_wink:

Heard "sodie pop" my whole life along with "light bread". Lunch was called dinner and dinner was called supper.

They call Lunch Dinner and the evening meal Supper in cajun country to, I was confused as hell when one of our operators said he was going to go grab dinner at 12:30 in the afternoon.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    As someone who does IP work for a very large beverage company in Atlanta, I am compelled to tell you that Coke is a brand name for a particular line of beverages in the product genus of "carbonated soft drinks" and is not a generic name for the product genus itself.
    If that's so, memo your marketing department and ask why the hell they can't market any more dollars in north Louisiana, i.e. north central Louisiana, i.e. Joe Aillet Stadium and Thomas Assembly Center in Ruston, La.
    Let them know there's more to Louisiana than New Orleans.
    Besides, there are other carbonated soft drinks who use the predominant color of blue.:icon_wink:
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post

How about "sweet milk"?

Big Dog Dawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to behold Dawgbert's Avatar

A Southerner Test

Do you know southern culture?

Scoring:

Yankees only get a few right.

Questions:
    1. How many Vienna Sausages are in a can?
    2. What was the number or color of Richard Petty's cars?
    3. What is a Scalawag?
    4. Why is Tennessee the "Volunteer state"?
    5. Where did Herschel Walker play college football?
    6. After boiling peanuts for an hour you have what?
    7. In cubic inches, how big is the smallest 1966 GM small-block V8?
    8. A Cajun is likely to speak what furrin' language?
    9. What is a chigger?
    10. Where is "The Redneck Riviera"?
    11. What's that fuzzy stuff hanging off the oak trees?
    12. What follows logically? Johnson, Mercury,
    13. What's the common name for a bowfin?
    14. If you mated a heifer and a steer, what would you get?
    15. Who sang "Your Cheatin' Heart"?
    16. What are grits made out of?
    17. Who was nicknamed "The Bear"
    18. Why is the Blue Ridge blue?
    19. What are the radio station call letters that carries "The Grand Ol' Opry"?
    20. Where would you find Vidalia County?
    21. What sport requires 3 legs and a rope?
    22. How many strings are there on a banjo?
    23. When you argue with a fool, what is he doing?
    24. Do you want the goats to get into the kudzu?
    25. Why do you want to eat "high on the hog"?
    26. What color is a John Deere?
    27. What do you call the offspring of a mule?
    28. What instrument did Bill Monroe play? (typically)
    29. What will you harvest when you plant "shade"?
    30. What is the largest 'Bandit' Trans Am engine?
    31. Name two models of Harley-Davidson motorcycle.
    32. What special name is a top-of-the-line Camaro called?
    33. What baseball team did Dale Murphy play for?
    34. What's in a Mint Julep?
    35. What are the two types of tea served in a Southern restaurant?
    36. What two states does the Okefenokee swamp extends into?
    37. What do any two of the three numbers in "442" stand for on a Cutlass 442?
    38. Monument Avenue in Richmond, Virginia, has monuments of what?
    39. What is the longest knife you can legally carry?
    40. Hot dogs would make good bait for ocean fishing what creature?
    41. What edible crustacean is found in Southern streams?
    42. If your occupation is "framer," what do you do?
    43. What is a '30-odd-6'?
    44. Youth in the rural south sneak into cowfields and do what (other than drink)? (two possible answers)
    45. What is the significance of the Jim Bowie's 'Bowie knife'?
    46. Name three historically black colleges.
    47. Where is Coke's corporate HQ?
    48. What is a Carpetbagger?
    49. Name a Southern euphemysm for The War Between The States? (many possible answers)
    50. What is special about Vidalia county onions?
    51. In what state was William Faulkner born and raised?
    52. What are the two makes of car that usually win NASCAR races?
    53. In what state is Clemson U.? Auburn U.?
    54. How is okra usally cooked?
    55. What are chitlins?
    56. What is the difference between bourbon and whiskey?
    57. Who is the greatest Southern general of all time?
    58. What is a "Skoal Bandit"?
    59. What's the difference between dip and chew/chaw? Which wears a round hole in your back pocket?
    60. What's the common name for the Dixie or Rebel flag, the battle flag of the army of northern virginia?
    61. Where can you get hash browns scattered, smothered, and covered?
    62. What is "Gullah" and where can you find it?
    63. When is Mardi Gras?
    64. What are two (of the three) standard bluegrass instruments other than guitar, bass, and drums?

Answers:
    1. 7
    2. 43, red and blue
    3. scalawag: a white Southerner who acted in support of the Reconstruction (generally by joining he Republican party) after the Civil War.
    4. from the 30,000 Tennesseans who volunteered to fight in the Mexican/American War (1846-7); only 3000 had been sought.
    5. University of Georgia
    6. Hard peanuts
    7. 283
    8. French
    9. A red bug (small parasite)
    10. the Gulf Coast from (roughly) Panama City/Destin Florida to Alabama
    11. Spanish moss
    12. Evinrude
    13. Mudfish
    14. trick question! Nothing. A steer has been castrated.
    15. Hank Williams
    16. Corn, soaked in lye so the kernels swell up and turn white (hominy), then ground up.
    17. Paul Bryant
    18. Because of the pollen
    19. WSM
    20. Georgia
    21. Calf roping
    22. 5
    23. The same thing
    24. Yes
    25. Because that's where the better cuts of meat are. Rich folks live high on the hog.
    26. Green
    27. trick question. Mules are generally sterile.
    28. mandolin
    29. Tobacco
    30. 7.2 liter (6.6 is standard)
    31. fat boy, dyna wide glide, low rider, sportster, softail, electra glide, ...
    32. depends on the year: SS, IROC Z-28, ...
    33. Atlanta Braves
    34. bourbon, ice, sugar, mint
    35. sweet and unsweet
    36. Florida and Georgia
    37. 4-barrel carb, four on the floor (gears), two exhaust pipes. also acceptable: 400 cubic inch displacement; 4 valves; 2 camshafts
    38. Confederates (and Arthur Ashe, too.)
    39. 6 inches
    40. crabs
    41. crawfish
    42. build houses (put 2x4s together as skeletons of the walls)
    43. .30-06 = "30 aught 6." a shell, or a rifle that uses that shell. The Springfield '03 Rifle "U.S. Rifle, Caliber .30, Model of 1903," had its .30-caliber cartridge modified in 1906 (designated the "M1906 Cartridge"); it became widely known as the .30-06; this cartridge was the standard U.S. rifle and machine gun cartridge for the next fifty years. Any gun that uses it is often simply called a .30-06.
    44. cow-tipping, or, looking for psychedelic mushrooms growing on cow patties
    45. It has a cross piece separating the blade from the handle
    46. Morehouse, Spelman, Tuskegee, Morris Brown, Marshall, Howard, Wilberforce, Clark, Atlanta U, Ala A&M, Ala state, Bethune-Cookman, Florida A&M, Grambling, Southern, Hampton, NC A&T, etc....
    47. Atlanta. Extra credit if you said "Who cares! I drink RC Cola."
    48. carpetbagger: northerner in the south
    49. The Great Lost Cause, or, the War of Northern Agression, or, the War for Southern Independence, ...
    50. they're very big (and/or tasty)
    51. Mississippi (Oxford)
    52. ford and chevy
    53. Clemson is in South Carolina, Auburn is in Alabama.
    54. fried
    55. pig intestines (aka chitterlings)
    56. Bourbon is corn-mash whiskey that originated in/around Bourbon county, Kentucky, aged in charred oak barrels for a minimum of 4 years.
    57. Robert E. Lee
    58. snuff tobacco encapsulated in its own little pouch. you suck on the whole thing. made by Skoal.
    59. dip is snuff, like Skoal or Copenhagen; chaw/chew is long cut, like Red Man. Dip comes in round cans that wear a hole in your packet. (chew comes in pouches.)
    60. The stars and bars
    61. the Waffle House - scattered on the grill, smothered with onions, covered with cheese. mmmmm mmmm good.
    62. A slave dialect that has become it's own language. It's spoken only on Dufuskie island off the South Carolina coast. It's often studied by linguists.
    63. The Tuesday before the start of lent which is the first tuesday 40 days before easter. (easter is the first sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox, so this gets complicated)
    64. banjo, mandolin, fiddle (violin)

Big Dog metrydawg is on top of his/her gamemetrydawg is on top of his/her gamemetrydawg is on top of his/her gamemetrydawg is on top of his/her gamemetrydawg is on top of his/her gamemetrydawg is on top of his/her gamemetrydawg is on top of his/her gamemetrydawg is on top of his/her gamemetrydawg is on top of his/her gamemetrydawg is on top of his/her gamemetrydawg is on top of his/her game metrydawg's Avatar

Coke is it. I drink coke...so I go with my wife, kids, and my daughter's friend to a place to eat. I order a coke instead of iced tea for the first time at this certain place that we've eaten at many times. My daughter's friend orders a Barqs. The drinks arrive and I take my first sip. This tastes stale to me...maybe it's the ice. My daughter's friend says her Barqs rootbeer tastes weird. I ask the waitress whats up with our coke and barqs. I found out that I was served RC and the little girl was served some other brand than barqs root beer. If a place doesn't serve Coke products, I will not order another type of cola and I will go with beer or iced tea. I can tell coke from the first taste and so could my daughter's friend concerning barqs root beer. If I order coke, I want a coke...not an RC cola and the waitress should tell me they don't serve coke so I can make another choice of beverage. Talk about the generic use of the word coke to mean any cola. Coke means cola even if you pay what Cokes cost and get a store brand at the same price. It's just like paying for a premium label of booze and getting a house brand for the same price. So..beware when ordering a coke and you want a coke...that they don't bring you another brand because they think that they can bring just any cola to you. Just any cola will not do. It has to be THE REAL THING...COCA COLA!!!

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbert View Post
    A Southerner Test

Scoring:

Questions:
    3. What is a Scalawag?
    9. What is a chigger?
    44. Youth in the rural south sneak into cowfields and do what (other than drink)? (two possible answers)
    49. Name a Southern euphemysm for The War Between The States? (many possible answers)
    55. What are chitlins?
    59. What's the difference between dip and chew/chaw? Which wears a round hole in your back pocket?
    60. What's the common name for the Dixie or Rebel flag, the battle flag of the army of northern virginia?
    63. When is Mardi Gras?
    64. What are two (of the three) standard bluegrass instruments other than guitar, bass, and drums?
    Answers:
    1. 7
    2. 43, red and blue
    3. scalawag: a white Southerner who acted in support of the Reconstruction (generally by joining he Republican party) after the Civil War.
    4. from the 30,000 Tennesseans who volunteered to fight in the Mexican/American War (1846-7); only 3000 had been sought.
    5. University of Georgia
    6. Hard peanuts
    7. 283
    8. French
    11. Spanish moss
    12. Evinrude
    13. Mudfish
    15. Hank Williams
    16. Corn, soaked in lye so the kernels swell up and turn white (hominy), then ground up.
    17. Paul Bryant
    19. WSM
    20. Georgia
    21. Calf roping
    22. 5
    23. The same thing
    24. Yes
    25. Because that's where the better cuts of meat are. Rich folks live high on the hog.
    26. Green
    28. mandolin
    29. Tobacco
    33. Atlanta Braves
    35. sweet and unsweet
    36. Florida and Georgia
    37. 4-barrel carb, four on the floor (gears), two exhaust pipes. also acceptable: 400 cubic inch displacement; 4 valves; 2 camshafts
    39. 6 inches
    40. crabs
    41. crawfish
    43. .30-06 = "30 aught 6." a shell, or a rifle that uses that shell. The Springfield '03 Rifle "U.S. Rifle, Caliber .30, Model of 1903," had its .30-caliber cartridge modified in 1906 (designated the "M1906 Cartridge"); it became widely known as the .30-06; this cartridge was the standard U.S. rifle and machine gun cartridge for the next fifty years. Any gun that uses it is often simply called a .30-06.
    46. Morehouse, Spelman, Tuskegee, Morris Brown, Marshall, Howard, Wilberforce, Clark, Atlanta U, Ala A&M, Ala state, Bethune-Cookman, Florida A&M, Grambling, Southern, Hampton, NC A&T, etc....
    49. The Great Lost Cause, or, the War of Northern Agression, or, the War for Southern Independence, ...
    51. Mississippi (Oxford)
    52. ford and chevy
    54. fried
    56. Bourbon is corn-mash whiskey that originated in/around Bourbon county, Kentucky, aged in charred oak barrels for a minimum of 4 years.
    57. Robert E. Lee
    58. snuff tobacco encapsulated in its own little pouch. you suck on the whole thing. made by Skoal.
    59. dip is snuff, like Skoal or Copenhagen; chaw/chew is long cut, like Red Man. Dip comes in round cans that wear a hole in your packet. (chew comes in pouches.)
    60. The stars and bars
    61. the Waffle House - scattered on the grill, smothered with onions, covered with cheese. mmmmm mmmm good.
    62. A slave dialect that has become it's own language. It's spoken only on Dufuskie island off the South Carolina coast. It's often studied by linguists.
    63. The Tuesday before the start of lent which is the first tuesday 40 days before easter. (easter is the first sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox, so this gets complicated)

I was hoping you wouldn't provide the answers. While I would dispute a few being truly Southern, ie John Deere(their headquarters is in Illinois) as Jerome Tobachic would say "it's a fair test".

Champ mildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond repute mildawg's Avatar

It's all coke, even if it's Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew, Pepsi, Sprite, or Coca Cola. "What kind of coke do you want?" "Pepsi."

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbert View Post
    A Southerner Test

Scoring:

Questions:
    3. What is a Scalawag?
    9. What is a chigger?
    55. What are chitlins?
    63. When is Mardi Gras?

Answers:
    1. 7
    2. 43, red and blue
    5. University of Georgia
    6. Hard peanuts
    7. 283
    8. French
    11. Spanish moss
    12. Evinrude
    13. Mudfish
    15. Hank Williams
    17. Paul Bryant
    19. WSM
    20. Georgia
    21. Calf roping
    22. 5
    23. The same thing
    24. Yes
    26. Green
    28. mandolin
    29. Tobacco
    33. Atlanta Braves
    35. sweet and unsweet
    36. Florida and Georgia
    39. 6 inches
    40. crabs
    41. crawfish
    51. Mississippi (Oxford)
    52. ford and chevy
    54. fried
    57. Robert E. Lee
    60. The stars and bars
    I would charge that #50 should include their unique sweetness as a defining characteristic. And I've been on Daufuskie Island many, many times. It is only accessible by boat, but it is not the only place that Gullah is spoken (and I'm not really sure there are any Gullahs left there anymore). :icon_wink:

+ Reply to Thread