+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone seen True Blood on HBO?

Varsity Bulldog dmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the rough

Has anyone seen True Blood on HBO?

Theres a new vampire show on HBO called True Blood that is supposed to be based in Louisiana. That girl who pays Rogue in the X-Men movies is in it. Besides just being a generally bad show, they can't seem to decide where in Louisiana its based. There are soooo many references to New Orleans, but then they talk about driving over to Monroe or Shreveport. I'm thinking they're supposed to be in the northeastern most corner of LA, but its anyones guess. Anyone else seen it?

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Re: Has anyone seen True Blood on HBO?

It was filmed in Shreveport. I think the town is supposed to be near Monroe.

All TV writers think all of Louisiana is about an hour apart. I've seen shows talking about Voodoo folks in Shreveport.

Champ Poisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the rough Poisso3's Avatar
    Ellisville, MO (30 miles West of St. Louis)

don't you know, New Orleans covers 80% of the state and is only a short drive from any part of the tiny state of Louisiana...

my wife's grandmother thinks that Louisiana is only New Orleans and Mardi Gras. When I said I was from North Louisiana, she asked if that was close to New Orleans. Yeah, she'd 87 and has lived in New York all her life, but it's true of most people in the US that New Orleans is the only city in Louisiana...

Also, a vampire show set in a town outside Monroe? Who's moron that thought that was a good story location? Of course the fictional town is named Bon Temps because all towns in Louisiana are French named. The show is based off a book series from a woman in Tunica, but with out reading the books, I don't know if she is the one that thinks Shreveport is a short drive to NO, or if it is the TV writers who don't know or care.

Champ tigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant future tigtoo30's Avatar

I've watched the first two episodes, and I actually really like it. There is some questionable acting, but love the concept. It does irritate me that they don't know the geography of La very well, but I overlook it it, since they are filming and at least talking about north La towns.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Poisso3 View Post
    Also, a vampire show set in a town outside Monroe?
    Transylvania

Champ Poisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the rough Poisso3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    Transylvania
    point taken

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

don't you know, New Orleans covers 80% of the state and is only a short drive from any part of the tiny state of Louisiana...

my wife's grandmother thinks that Louisiana is only New Orleans and Mardi Gras. When I said I was from North Louisiana, she asked if that was close to New Orleans. Yeah, she'd 87 and has lived in New York all her life, but it's true of most people in the US that New Orleans is the only city in Louisiana...

Also, a vampire show set in a town outside Monroe? Who's moron that thought that was a good story location? Of course the fictional town is named Bon Temps because all towns in Louisiana are French named. The show is based off a book series from a woman in Tunica, but with out reading the books, I don't know if she is the one that thinks Shreveport is a short drive to NO, or if it is the TV writers who don't know or care.
    Most true. They also think Florida is our next door neighbor.

Puppy PearlDawg has turned a few heads around herePearlDawg has turned a few heads around here PearlDawg's Avatar

If you take a look at the beggining episode (it's on Demand if you don't remember) in the very first scene it looks like the couple is driving through cypress tress ( Def. south louisiana)... then you watch a little while longer and it looks like north louisiana and they talk about Monroe and Shreveport... then the acents are all over the place... Cajun Lafayette type Accent and then North Louisiana Twang... I'm trying to figure out what the producers are doing are they just confussed as to what constitutes North and South Louisiana? We all who live here know there is def. a difference. And Murlotts' sounds an awful like like Mulates the resturant in southern Louisiana, just thought I would throw that out there.

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PearlDawg View Post
    If you take a look at the beggining episode (it's on Demand if you don't remember) in the very first scene it looks like the couple is driving through cypress tress ( Def. south louisiana)... then you watch a little while longer and it looks like north louisiana and they talk about Monroe and Shreveport... then the acents are all over the place... Cajun Lafayette type Accent and then North Louisiana Twang... I'm trying to figure out what the producers are doing are they just confussed as to what constitutes North and South Louisiana? We all who live here know there is def. a difference. And Murlotts' sounds an awful like like Mulates the resturant in southern Louisiana, just thought I would throw that out there.
    That's the craziest show I ever saw. One minute they are going to Monroe, next minute they are on a little jaunt down to Baton Rouge, next thing you know they are talking about Shreveport and then they have accident victims on I-49 being rushed to Baylor Medical Center. Honey if I get in an accident on I-49 y'all don't try to take me over to Baylor. I won't make it.

These people don't know come here from sic' em about Louisiana.

Because I was so bemused by this I purchased the first two books in the series just to see what the author knew. She lives in Arkansas now. I don't like vampires, but I do like to check out fictional literature about Louisiana just to see what they have to say. I haven't started reading the first one yet. I'm re-reading Shogun, but Dead before Dusk is next on my list. I'll let y'all know.

That show is something alright. They don't know anything about Louisiana, but they sure know about sex. Sex for days. Whew!

Varsity Bulldog dmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, I watched the third episode a few nights ago and apparently Bon Temp is supposed to be near Marthaville which is by Natchitoches. I guess if you're close to the interstate its easy to get anywhere with in a few hours of there (Monroe, Shreveport, even Baton Rouge) and the fact that its near Natchitoches makes the Cajun thing slightly more believable. That town has more South Louisiana in its one little cobblestone street than the rest of North LA combined, but a lot of the scenes look like they are supposed to be in a swampy area, and that part of the state is not at all swampy. The show is ridiculous, but I'll keep watching just to see if anything I might recognize gets mentioned.

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

The swampy area is just playing to LA stereotypes, just like the VERY poorly done Cajun accent on that one guy Renee. The accents are terrible, the acting is terrible, but the plot is damned interesting.

They reference Monroe quite often.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gcc005 View Post
    The swampy area is just playing to LA stereotypes, just like the VERY poorly done Cajun accent on that one guy Renee. The accents are terrible, the acting is terrible, but the plot is damned interesting.

They reference Monroe quite often.

There is no such thing as a good Cajun accent

ok, how are they saying Monroe? "Mahn-row", "Mun-row", other?

Y'all the show made me crazy so I quit watching it. I did however snag the books and even though I can't stand this vampire crap, these books fascinate me. Ruston is mentioned a million times. A vampire was wearing a Louisiana Tech Bulldog sweatshirt. Louisiana Tech is mentioned over and over. (ULM not once) Arcadia is in the books. Shreveport plays a huge role. Monroe is mentioned least of all. The author nails North Louisiana - and she gets better at it with each book.

Apparently the HBO people don't know diddly about Louisiana, north or south and keep muddling it all together with weird accents and weird references.

Champ tigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant future tigtoo30's Avatar

ok, how are they saying Monroe? "Mahn-row", "Mun-row", other?
    Hooked on the show and they call it "Mun-row". They gave a shout out to Ruston a couple of episodes ago, and last epi, they went to Bunkie.

And I have to admit, the guy who plays Sookie's brother has a good North Louisiana accent, even though he's from Australia.

+ Reply to Thread