+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why can't the bookstore open earlier?

Varsity Bulldog bayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nice

Why can't the bookstore open earlier?

It seems on most mornings there are students waiting outside the bookstore for it to open at 8 am. I presume they need scantrons for their 8 am test. The bookstore people are all inside watching and talking and don't open the doors until 8 am exactly. Why can't they open the doors a few mins early? Let a few employees come in to open the store 15 minutes early and let them end their shift 15 mins early.

My question is this: Does this give the bookstore personnel an ego boost or are they trying to teach the students some responsibility?

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Re: Why can't the bookstore open earlier?

The simplest solution would be for the students to either a) get their scnatrons in advance or b) trot over to Tolliver and get a free scantron.

If I have time I may go one morning at 7:45 and bring some free scantrons I got from Tolliver and sell them to students for $1 each outside the bookstore.

Seriously, though, most retail stores don't open the doors until the posted time. That's just business. Sure, a few "mom and pop" type operations may go out of their way and open the doors early, but that's kind of unusual. I was at Best Buy one morning about 6 minutes before opening time and had to wait outside with about a dozen other people until the exact opening time rolled around. And it wasn't like it was a release date for something or anything like that.

Varsity Bulldog bayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nice

I would think if it's just business, then they are missing out on a prime market with those few minutes before 8 o'clock classes...not counting scantron sales, breakfast items, drinks, gum, fresh batteries for calculators, etc...

Champ TECHLAX is a name known to allTECHLAX is a name known to allTECHLAX is a name known to allTECHLAX is a name known to allTECHLAX is a name known to allTECHLAX is a name known to allTECHLAX is a name known to allTECHLAX is a name known to allTECHLAX is a name known to allTECHLAX is a name known to allTECHLAX is a name known to all TECHLAX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bayouboyz View Post
    It seems on most mornings there are students waiting outside the bookstore for it to open at 8 am. I presume they need scantrons for their 8 am test. The bookstore people are all inside watching and talking and don't open the doors until 8 am exactly. Why can't they open the doors a few mins early? Let a few employees come in to open the store 15 minutes early and let them end their shift 15 mins early.

My question is this: Does this give the bookstore personnel an ego boost or are they trying to teach the students some responsibility?

Because they are government workers and they don't get paid a commission on items sold!!!!

That should tell you all you need to know.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bayouboyz View Post
    I would think if it's just business, then they are missing out on a prime market with those few minutes before 8 o'clock classes...not counting scantron sales, breakfast items, drinks, gum, fresh batteries for calculators, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by TECHLAX View Post
    Because they are government workers and they don't get paid a commission on items sold!!!!

Y'all should try showing up a few minutes before the official opening time at a few national retailers (or any retail store with more than about 5 employees) and see how you get treated. I don't make a regular habit of this, but in my limited experience, I've only been let in early to small, family-owned businesses.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    Y'all should try showing up a few minutes before the official opening time at a few national retailers (or any retail store with more than about 5 employees) and see how you get treated. I don't make a regular habit of this, but in my limited experience, I've only been let in early to small, family-owned businesses.
    So the question becomes, "why doesn't the bookstore have earlier hours?" Best Buy probably wouldn't do much business from 7-8, but the Tech bookstore probably would.

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    So the question becomes, "why doesn't the bookstore have earlier hours?" Best Buy probably wouldn't do much business from 7-8, but the Tech bookstore probably would.
    You think so? That seems highly unlikely. Generally, only gas stations and restaurants do much business that early. Many places that do open really early do so as a courtesy, not because they generate enough business to cover their expenses during that time frame.

There is, after all, a convenience store a few hundred yards away in Tolliver. And free scantrons at that.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

You think so? That seems highly unlikely. Generally, only gas stations and restaurants do much business that early. Many places that do open really early do so as a courtesy, not because they generate enough business to cover their expenses during that time frame.

There is, after all, a convenience store a few hundred yards away in Tolliver. And free scantrons at that.
    That's true. But I bet they would get at least some business. They do gets tons of walk-bys around that time on their way to class. You'd think they'd get what they needed at Tolliver, but who knows.

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Bookstore should open at 7:30 a.m.

Champ dawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by TECHLAX View Post

Techteamshop should start selling scantrons. And maybe some textbooks. Then we could just use that building on campus for something much more useful...indoor practice facility, perhaps?

Champ Poisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the rough Poisso3's Avatar
    Ellisville, MO (30 miles West of St. Louis)

I never understood why the bookstore didn't open earlier either. Hell, why not have an express table in the Student Center that sells blue books, scantrons, etc for those students that need them for their 8am class...

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Gotta put it in terms that they'd understand. How much business would they get from 7:30 - 8:00 vs 4:30 - 5:00??

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Most probably dont want to start down a slippery slope of when they are supposed to open and people trying to abuse it, so they stick to their posted hours. The debate should be rather posted hours should change, not should the bookstore open up earlier than posted hours because people are standing outside.

Varsity Bulldog Bayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to all Bayou Dawg's Avatar

New hours:

Barnes & Noble College Booksellers welcomes you to our Tech Bookstore!! Our current hours are 7:45 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday. We hope you’ll take an opportunity to visit the Bookstore to see what changes have been made. More changes will be made over the next few months that we think you will enjoy!

The Bookstore will be open prior to home football games. You may contact the Bookstore to find out their hours on game days since it may vary, depending on the time of the game.

Any questions about available or needed supplies or merchandise may be directed to Gerald Reeves at
    sm8001@bncollege.com or 257-3066.

Dickie Crawford
    Dean of Student Life/Auxiliary Services

Varsity Bulldog eddawgfan is just really niceeddawgfan is just really niceeddawgfan is just really niceeddawgfan is just really niceeddawgfan is just really niceeddawgfan is just really niceeddawgfan is just really niceeddawgfan is just really niceeddawgfan is just really niceeddawgfan is just really nice eddawgfan's Avatar

Love the new hours! Esp. the open until 6!

+ Reply to Thread