+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruston (blue laws)

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Ruston (blue laws)

There have BOUND to be enough people in Ruston to overturn this antiquated law. It would be nice to see downtown Ruston connect to the campus and a party atmosphere all in between.

When I was there, we went to Shreveport and Monroe to drink (other than what was in our apartment). Had a blast and made VERY poor decisions about driving home.

I remember (oh God, I sound like my Dad now on memory lane) once going to Shreveport and letting another guy drive. I didn't know this other guy too well, but I was already buzzed. He was too and was driving my car. We got pulled over close to Minden at about 8pm on the way to the bars. As the cop was walking up to the window, he told me that he didn't have a driver's license. So, he ended up going to jail for a while. The cop had no problem with me driving the car after that, though, so I drove on to the bar. I knew the bartender and he cashed a check for me to get this guy out of jail. So (after a couple of more drinks), I drove to the jail and got him out. We ended up back at the bar around 1am and, I think, we had a great time till closing.

How is that for memory lane? Of course, back then, DWI's were not as serious as now and I now consider this one of those really stupid things I did. So, that is my disclaimer.

By the way, there was a cool bar in Shreveport back then. It was downtown and was an old theater that was converted to a big bar. They played videos and clips from old movies/cartoons on the screen and the dance floor was below it. They converted the seats into different levels with big booths and tables. Barmaids came around and took your order or you could go up to the bar. What was that place? Now, I really sound old.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

I thought about that bar night before last as I was dozing off. I think there were a couple of raised stages for people to dance on that would hold maybe 2 people. Wasn't it called The Rave or something like that? It'll come to me eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    There have BOUND to be enough people in Ruston to overturn this antiquated law. It would be nice to see downtown Ruston connect to the campus and a party atmosphere all in between.

When I was there, we went to Shreveport and Monroe to drink (other than what was in our apartment). Had a blast and made VERY poor decisions about driving home.

I remember (oh God, I sound like my Dad now on memory lane) once going to Shreveport and letting another guy drive. I didn't know this other guy too well, but I was already buzzed. He was too and was driving my car. We got pulled over close to Minden at about 8pm on the way to the bars. As the cop was walking up to the window, he told me that he didn't have a driver's license. So, he ended up going to jail for a while. The cop had no problem with me driving the car after that, though, so I drove on to the bar. I knew the bartender and he cashed a check for me to get this guy out of jail. So (after a couple of more drinks), I drove to the jail and got him out. We ended up back at the bar around 1am and, I think, we had a great time till closing.

How is that for memory lane? Of course, back then, DWI's were not as serious as now and I now consider this one of those really stupid things I did. So, that is my disclaimer.

By the way, there was a cool bar in Shreveport back then. It was downtown and was an old theater that was converted to a big bar. They played videos and clips from old movies/cartoons on the screen and the dance floor was below it. They converted the seats into different levels with big booths and tables. Barmaids came around and took your order or you could go up to the bar. What was that place? Now, I really sound old.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg03 View Post
    It really could make no difference to me. I had just as much fun during college as I have here in New Orleans. To be honest, if the bars had stayed open later, I'd be a lot poorer.
    It's about creating a vibrant active downtown. The area has potential. When you pass through downtown Ruston at night, it's dead (even at 8 pm). You'll have to walk over to Ponchatoulas/Sundown to find some sort of activity going on down there.

I imagine if we did away with the blue law, more restaurants/pubs/stores would fill some of those empty buildings.

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt that law will change for a while. There really isn't a lot of desire to change it from what I see.

The 12AM barhop is done by a lot of people, but I have to say the RPD has curbed a lot of drunk driving. People know that if you drink and drive, your gonna get caught. But I found one thing that may change.

If you are driving with a student parking decal for any reason around the interstate area on a weekend after 11PM, don't put a tire on the yellow line because your getting pulled over. There's a reason LSU uses hanging cards on the rearview for student parking...

Champ Reckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud of Reckless Abandon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    It's about creating a vibrant active downtown. The area has potential. When you pass through downtown Ruston at night, it's dead (even at 8 pm). You'll have to walk over to Ponchatoulas/Sundown to find some sort of activity going on down there.

I imagine if we did away with the blue law, more restaurants/pubs/stores would fill some of those empty buildings.
    I agree completely. A downtown that has a college town feel would do wonders for Ruston and Tech, and ours has so much potential. We would see a large increase in enrollment I believe. The major comment I hear about Ruston from outsiders is that it is dead and boring. This reputation kills Tech's potential to recruit students because other similar towns like college station, oxford, etc. are very active and attractive to students. But also, I think that as the law is right now, you can only serve hard alcohol if 75% of your income is from food. That allows restaurants like Chili's and Applebee's to come, but prevents people from opening bars that don't necessarilly serve food. So I think that needs to change as well.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    I thought about that bar night before last as I was dozing off. I think there were a couple of raised stages for people to dance on that would hold maybe 2 people. Wasn't it called The Rave or something like that? It'll come to me eventually.
    Yeah, there were some raised stages. It was a cool place. Bars come and go. I guess the "in" places change a lot and that one lost its edge. It used to be packed. My cousin from Houston was visiting with his girlfriend one time and I took them there. They had a blast and said that (at the time) it was better than anything they had been to in Houston. I have no clue where the "in" place is now in Shreveport or anywhere else. When I go to New Orleans, I head to my old neighborhood bars. Just about the same crowd there now as when I was younger. A good bar now for me is a bar with stools and good conversation (with a little eye candy) thrown in. :icon_wink:

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gcc005 View Post
    If you are driving with a student parking decal for any reason around the interstate area on a weekend after 11PM, don't put a tire on the yellow line because your getting pulled over. There's a reason LSU uses hanging cards on the rearview for student parking...
    I'm not sure I totally understand. Are you saying that a student is more likely to be pulled over if you swerve a little to see if you are drunk?

Big Dog Tech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really nice Tech09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post

Taking a guess here, was it The Capri?

Quote Originally Posted by Tech09 View Post
    That sounds familiar. Was it downtown in an old theater? Just down from the Strand, I think.

Big Dog Tech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really nice Tech09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    That sounds familiar. Was it downtown in an old theater? Just down from the Strand, I think.
    It may have been. Seems like it was on Milam St. Again, I may be mistaken.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech09 View Post
    You got it. The Capri. Boy was I off. You would think as often as I was there that name would be etched in my mind.

It does look familiar:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mojavegirl1216/2262027369/

Been a long time ago, though. Great place when it was alive. Sounds like they are working on it. Didn't know it became an XXX Video store at some point, though.

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Ahhh! Club Capri..first time I ever saw real-life lesbians making out in public. If Ruston would ever change it's drinking regs then I would move my store there in a heartbeat.
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    Ahhh! Club Capri..first time I ever saw real-life lesbians making out in public. If Ruston would ever change it's drinking regs then I would move my store there in a heartbeat.
    X was a factor in a lot of things that happened there. :icon_wink: I can tell you, though, everyone got along and was just having a great time.

+ Reply to Thread