+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I feel kind of sorry for the QBs

Varsity Bulldog Dawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her game Dawgyinmiami's Avatar

I feel kind of sorry for the QBs

It's bad enough when you can't hit the broad side of a barn, but when you do and the ball is consistently dropped, the situation just has to feel hopeless. I really don't understand why our receivers can't catch a cold. I mean seriously, why were they recruited in the first place? Obviously, someone watched film on thes guys and saw them catching the ball, otherwise they wouldn't be at this level. How long has it been since we've had someone who could consistently catch a ball? How frustrating is it to watch the other team consistently toss 25+ yard passes out there that get hauled in, but you have NO ONE who can do it on your team?

Probably even more so, I feel sorry for the defense. Take away the miscues, 3 & outs and fumbles perpetrated by the offense and our defense looks stellar tonight. I swear, every time we got to 3rd down tonight, I said to myself, "Here comes another dropped pass." and our offense didn't disappoint.

Geesh, I'm not asking for perfection because I know that's impossible with this team, but please, for the love of God, at least look like you belong out there.

Somebody wake me for next season, because this one is done. I will be SHOCKED if we win another game this season.

Dawgyinmiami

Champ louisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the rough

Re: I feel kind of sorry for the QBs

I said somewhere earlier about going to watch those intramural flag football games, you do not see that many drops to guys where the ball is thrown decently.

Vegas should start a new line with how many drops we will have a game....I would bet against our te's.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I posted after the Missy State game that Bennett (and any other guy pretending to be a QB) and the receivers should spend hours playing PITCH and CATCH. Of course, some geniuses on this board laughed at that notion. One poster even called me stupid, I recall, for some reason.

Part of the problem is probably because the only time our guys touch a football is during formal practices. They don't, and probably have never, done anything on their own time.

This is part a generational phenononum (sp?). Too much text messaging and other silly stuff and not enough just playing sports, like we did in our youth.

When I was playing soccer for Tech we were walking by the football team, specifically the QBs and WRs (Beightol was coach at that time...) and there was a football sitting by itself. I picked it up and yelled toward the FB players to throw them the ball. One of our WRs, standing about 30 yds away, said thanks throw it, and he started walking toward me....I got pissed, as if I couldn't reach him. So, I said, no, go long and waved him away from me. He grinned and jogged VERY slowly, as if not to create too great a distance, I got more pissed, so I threw the ball about 70 yards over his head.

I played QB for a flag-FB team and grew up playing every sport under the sun, hours a day, every day. That's all we did. We developed skills, like throwing and catching a frickin' FB, because we did it for hours everyday. It's that simple, fellows.

Bulldog checkerboard is just really nicecheckerboard is just really nicecheckerboard is just really nicecheckerboard is just really nicecheckerboard is just really nicecheckerboard is just really nicecheckerboard is just really nicecheckerboard is just really nicecheckerboard is just really nicecheckerboard is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I posted after the Missy State game that Bennett (and any other guy pretending to be a QB) and the receivers should spend hours playing PITCH and CATCH. Of course, some geniuses on this board laughed at that notion. One poster even called me stupid, I recall, for some reason.

Part of the problem is probably because the only time our guys touch a football is during formal practices. They don't, and probably have never, done anything on their own time.

This is part a generational phenononum (sp?). Too much text messaging and other silly stuff and not enough just playing sports, like we did in our youth.

When I was playing soccer for Tech we were walking by the football team, specifically the QBs and WRs (Beightol was coach at that time...) and there was a football sitting by itself. I picked it up and yelled toward the FB players to throw them the ball. One of our WRs, standing about 30 yds away, said thanks throw it, and he started walking toward me....I got pissed, as if I couldn't reach him. So, I said, no, go long and waved him away from me. He grinned and jogged VERY slowly, as if not to create too great a distance, I got more pissed, so I threw the ball about 70 yards over his head.

I played QB for a flag-FB team and grew up playing every sport under the sun, hours a day, every day. That's all we did. We developed skills, like throwing and catching a frickin' FB, because we did it for hours everyday. It's that simple, fellows.
    I am assuming you have some evidence that they never put in extra time? Saying these types of things are probably why someone called you something. You have no idea the work our players put in...I don't either but I am not the one saying they never do anything.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by checkerboard View Post
    I am assuming you have some evidence that they never put in extra time? Saying these types of things are probably why someone called you something. You have no idea the work our players put in...I don't either but I am not the one saying they never do anything.
    First, let me say this, if our QBs and WRs ARE putting in extra time and this is the results....then, someone needs to get a megaphone and say to them:

"put down the footballs and slowly back away....."

But, I did post, quoting:

Please note the use of the word "probably."

One more thing, checkerboard, in another post you take to task someone blaming the coaches for the current offensive problems. I presumed, although you did not state it, you were saying the players are responsible because they are not executing. Now, you seem to think the players are not at fault either

I get it! It's the fans' fault.

Now, I'm gonna call you something.....

Big Dog Easydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the rough Easydawg's Avatar

One more thing, checkerboard, in another post you take to task someone blaming the coaches for the current offensive problems. I presumed, although you did not state it, you were saying the players are responsible because they are not executing. Now, you seem to think the players are not at fault either

The Head Coach must take the responsibily of the team, regardless of how good or bad. I think Dooley did that last week in his press conference but the problem is that it appears nothing was done to change the outcome.

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

Someone mentioned last week that they bumped into Bennett and another player at the golf course and they didn't mention them having a football in their hands.

Big Dog sharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nice

It doesn't matter how much Taylor Bennett pratices. He is as good as he is ever going to be. After all, he has been playing D-IA football for five years. While at GT he never completed 50% of his passes in a single season (used bold type to keep some dummie from bringing up the Southeastern game again). His record is still perfect thus far at LT.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

I am assuming you have some evidence that they never put in extra time?
    Yes...it's called the SCOREBOARD!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

HD

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

I think it all comes down to rythm and confidence. The O line needs to get their assignments down and be relentless about protection. The offense and specificly the passing game can't get their rythm and timing down when the QB is running for his life on every play. That messes up the routes and forces the QB to have to reassess where is receivers are and the receivers have to move differently. When we ran the no huddle, and used plays where the QB could get rid of the ball quickly in the rythm the plays were designed for, we moved the ball down the field. We need to play to what we have to work with. After we establish a quick rythm and the opposition defense starts to react, then we will make more time for the QB to go longer.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Bulldog checkerboard is just really nicecheckerboard is just really nicecheckerboard is just really nicecheckerboard is just really nicecheckerboard is just really nicecheckerboard is just really nicecheckerboard is just really nicecheckerboard is just really nicecheckerboard is just really nicecheckerboard is just really nice

I did say in another post the players need to execute. My point to you was the simple fact that you have no idea what players do/don't do. I am sorry I have not done a history search of your posts to see general thoughts on issues.

After reading this post again...I regret that I wasted my time replying to you. Sorry.

It is a generational thing. At least, partly. Kids nowadays simply do not spend hours playing sports, from the sheer joy of it, like we did. It was never our intention to develop skills (not on purpose), but rather simply to have fun. Developing skills was a result of the many, many hours of doing it. A good, unintentional consequence!

I hear it from high school coaches and little league coaches in all sports today. They all say the same thing, the only practice kids get is in formal practices. Very little on their own time. Also, kids don't have a feel for the sports, like we developed. The "field awareness" or "court awareness" from playing for hours daily. The "smarts" of sports.

Of course, I know I am generalizing and there are always exceptions. But, getting back to the original point made many months ago: it is clear that Tech's QBs and WRs need to play more pitch and catch together. Learn each other's subtle tendencies and develop some confidence that they can get this done on Saturdays!

Even though Tech is 0-2 in the WAC, it comes from two tough road trips, @ Boazy and @ Hawaii, which are always tough places to get a "W." So, the table is set for a nice run.

+ Reply to Thread