+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: hawaii game thoughts

Champ mildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond repute mildawg's Avatar

Re: hawaii game thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    the ol has struggled, but we've had sustained drives. there are ways to make the best of the personnel you have. we did that a little last night, but then stopped. apparently a fumble at the goal line is a good reason to change offensive philosophy?
    Made no sense. By throwing quick like we did, we completely took their rushers out of the equation. Then we fumble, and everything goes back to the way it was. Flabbergasted.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog_in_baton_rouge View Post
    That is kinda what was thinking...it really doesn't matter who is calling the plays if the players cannot execute. So far this season, we have had a substantial amount of trouble with the basics...THE BASICS...
    This brings to mind Coach Vince Lombardi's famous team meeting after his (would be) World Champion Packers lost a game badly in the 1960's.

As many of you older guys know, Lombardo walked into his team meeting after a loss the previous day and said: "You guys (the Packers) were so bad yesterday, it's obvious we need to start from the beginning".

So, holding up a football up to his face for emphasis, Lombardi boomed......"GENTLEMEN, THIS IS A FOOTBALL." He then proceeded to describe the basics of how the game is REALLY played. (e.g., "The ball is tossed in an overhand fashion to the WR and you're supposed to CATCH it", etc.....)

This story brought allot of laughs to the Packer players, but it also served as a catalyst for them to review the basics of their blocking, tackling, catching, etc....The Packers then proceeded to go out and win another World Championship.

I'm almost certain that NONE of our current players have ever heard this story (from ancient history, ha!), so Dooley should do something very similar with our Dawgs Monday morning. Clearly, they've forgotten the basics.

HD

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

I thought playcalling was ok in this game. It was our players that let us down, big time.

Big Dog Easydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the rough Easydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Horndawgs View Post
    I thought playcalling was ok in this game. It was our players that let us down, big time.
    We scored 2 touchdowns against an average team. By now our coaches should know what plays our team can and can not excute. Why keep calling plays that we can not execute and give up opportunities to score.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Easydawg View Post
    By now our coaches should know what plays our team can and can not excute. Why keep calling plays that we can not execute and give up opportunities to score.
    I don't see any alternatives.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Big Dog Easydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the rough Easydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    I don't see any alternatives.
    Run only 3 plays in practice all week. Run them every minute of every practice and then just run those three plays all game long. Everybody that could possibly play will know their assignment on each and every play no matter what the defense. Any player who does not know what to do by the end of the week does not get to dress out for the game.

Okay maybe 6 plays.

Big Dog TruDawg is a jewel in the roughTruDawg is a jewel in the roughTruDawg is a jewel in the roughTruDawg is a jewel in the roughTruDawg is a jewel in the roughTruDawg is a jewel in the roughTruDawg is a jewel in the roughTruDawg is a jewel in the roughTruDawg is a jewel in the roughTruDawg is a jewel in the roughTruDawg is a jewel in the rough TruDawg's Avatar

Playing like this, no way we make a bowl game. We have to make some changes quickly. My thoughts are:
    1. Our quarterback is terrible, I cannot believe that he started at Georgia Tech and did well. He cannot hit the receivers anywhere on the field.
    2. Penalties killed us, we had way too many big plays called back because of stupid penalties. If you are not clearly better than the other team, you have to play smarter than them. We did not play smart at all.
    3. Play calling was better, our players did not execute them, but the ones they did were good.
    4. Our kicker did so good in the Miss. St game and missed a easy field goal that ended a very good drive in nothing.
    5. Turnovers were another thing that we have normally been good at, but we were horrible at last night. Two interceptions by our sub-par quarterback, and two fumbles. One fumble led to an easy Hawaii score and the other kept us from scoring and tying the game.
    6. We did not capitalize off of their mistakes. Especially the blocked punt. We had the ball inside their 40 and threw a pick.

Overall, I thought that we would be 1-4 at this point and still make a bowl game. I really hope that we can win 3 of our 4 home games and win 2 of the away games to end up going 7-5. Just don't give up hope, yet.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris29 View Post
    The most retarded thing I've read on this board in a while.
    by the way, it's called overstatement.

i'm considerably less frustrated today than i was last night, but i still think scelfo needs to move on. we probably would not have beaten boise or kansas even with gary crowton calling plays with the execution problems we've had, but connie hines could have called the right plays to make the hawaii game close.

Varsity Bulldog East Coast Dawg seems to have something between the earsEast Coast Dawg seems to have something between the earsEast Coast Dawg seems to have something between the earsEast Coast Dawg seems to have something between the earsEast Coast Dawg seems to have something between the earsEast Coast Dawg seems to have something between the earsEast Coast Dawg seems to have something between the earsEast Coast Dawg seems to have something between the ears East Coast Dawg's Avatar

I am really disappointed, frustrated, and puzzled after the effort last night, especdially staying up until almot 4 am to listen to those results. I dont think that it is a manner of being 'out-talented' in these games. I think that we have comparable talent to our competetion. I am so tired of talent that is the same and in some cases less than our making us look bad. Average size quaterbacks that are elusive, avoid blitizs and are accurate, receivers and other 'skill' people that catch most catachable balls and hang on to the ball when they do get it. It puzzles me that in the days of Coachs Lambright, Williams, Brewer, etc along with assts Coah Mick, Lewis, Collins, Patterson, Torbush, Merrit,etc that we only had talent comparable to our competition at that time but we had in most cases extremely good execution. From this reasoning I can only draw the conclusion that our current coaches are not able to develope our players to the same skill level as that of other schools current staffs or as well as some of our past staffs. What is the answer?

I honestly dont know but as some one said earlier in this thread, a return to basics may be the place to start.

Just my opnion. This and a dollar and quater will get you a cup of coffee.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

by the way, it's called overstatement.

i'm considerably less frustrated today than i was last night, but i still think scelfo needs to move on. we probably would not have beaten boise or kansas even with gary crowton calling plays with the execution problems we've had, but connie hines could have called the right plays to make the hawaii game close.
    Connie needs to focus on teaching his receivers how to catch the damn ball.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    Connie needs to focus on teaching his receivers how to catch the damn ball.
    Dooley needs to find Connie a position like he did Ed Jackson. Hines has never been a top notch recruiter and his coaching is questionable at best. I seem to remember someone posting last year or so that he was friends with one of the receivers the last time Hines was wr coach. That receiver, who happened to be one of the best in Tech's history, said if it weren't for the coaching from previous coaches they wouldn't have known crap. He said Hines was terrible.

I know this post sounds like I'm bashing Conroy, and I guess in reality I am, but it's not meant to be that way. I really think that Conroy is an asset to our team and we need to keep him involved, but in a different role. I believe in doing what it takes to win regardless of hurting feelings, but I also believe in rewarding loyalty and no one's been more Tech than Conroy. He just needs to be in a different position where he coaches less and mentors more.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    Dooley needs to find Connie a position like he did Ed Jackson. Hines has never been a top notch recruiter and his coaching is questionable at best. I seem to remember someone posting last year or so that he was friends with one of the receivers the last time Hines was wr coach. That receiver, who happened to be one of the best in Tech's history, said if it weren't for the coaching from previous coaches they wouldn't have known crap. He said Hines was terrible.

I know this post sounds like I'm bashing Conroy, and I guess in reality I am, but it's not meant to be that way. I really think that Conroy is an asset to our team and we need to keep him involved, but in a different role. I believe in doing what it takes to win regardless of hurting feelings, but I also believe in rewarding loyalty and no one's been more Tech than Conroy. He just needs to be in a different position where he coaches less and mentors more.
    I think you are right and according to many on the board he is an asset because he is the guy that keeps track of theplayers grades and has done a good job in the past in helping to keep them motivated and to put it bluntly, eligible. I am 100% on board with your post.

Big Dog SundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to behold SundayJam's Avatar

pitiful. just pitiful.

the hawaii tv announcers were the absolute dumbest people i have ever listened to for three hours. based on my observations including the aloha stadium fans, the brilliant posters on the hawaii message board, and the "professional" tv commentators, i believe i have enough information to make a judgment on the collective intelligence of the people of hawaii. but i'm affraid it won't do me any good to comment further.
    I won't generalize about techies, Lousianians, or BB&Bers. Your the idiot, Bob...just you.

Champ DogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond repute DogtorEvil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SundayJam View Post
    I won't generalize about techies, Lousianians, or BB&Bers. Your the idiot, Bob...just you.
    Why is it that you see this so often when someone is attempting to call someone else an idiot?

My thought...it takes one to know one; thus, idiocy comes out during the typing.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SundayJam View Post
    sorry to generalize, sundayjam. i know there are people of adequate intelligence in hawaii, and i am sure you are of at least average intelligence. but the most frustrating thing for me watching that nonsense last night was having to listen to the announcers. as much as i hate losing, i would not have gone to bed with heartburn last night if i could have listened to dave nitz while watching the game. it was truly the most nausiating combination of ignorance and arrogance i have come accross in a while. i was typing out of that frustration, and once again, i apologize.

+ Reply to Thread