+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Charlie Frye > Tim Rattay??

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Re: Charlie Frye > Tim Rattay??

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    I havent looked at what they are paying people, but it would seem hard to pay both Roy Williams (especially when one is terrible), TO, Romo's new contract, that ridiculous O-line, Newman, Barber (not sure of his contract though), Ware, Spears, and company. I can see a couple of busts/underperformers taht are probably making good money, not to mention the money they have to pay superstars. I was just wondering if they had some payment structures giong that could bone them down the road (a la 49ers a decade ago).
    A lot of the guys on defense are still on their original contracts, they are going to come up soon though.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    A couple more things to remember - some of those guys came relatively cheaply because they were such risks they didn't have that many options. I doubt Tank or Pacman were making market value, but I could be wrong.

The other thing is that a lot of those contracts are pushed back to 2010. JJ seems to be banking on the fact that the salary cap may go away. Peter King points this out in MMQB today.

I hope not. I think that is why people love the NFL, "any given Sunday". It would get rid of that. No one wants a Yankees of the NFL, especially the 72 Dolphins. Oh wait, I have found some silver lining, we could finally shut those guys up. Anyway, the salary cap forces an equal playing field where overall strategy of an organization is huge (a la Patriots). Being libertarian, I am totally against this in the "real" business world, but different rules apply when you are talking about sports.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

I hope not. I think that is why people love the NFL, "any given Sunday". It would get rid of that. No one wants a Yankees of the NFL, especially the 72 Dolphins. Oh wait, I have found some silver lining, we could finally shut those guys up. Anyway, the salary cap forces an equal playing field where overall strategy of an organization is huge (a la Patriots). Being libertarian, I am totally against this in the "real" business world, but different rules apply when you are talking about sports.
    Yeah, I like the salary cap. Maybe our boy Matt Stover can get elected head of the union and get a contract done and save it.

But I think King makes a good point that some owners (including Jones) are dishing out contracts that look like they don't expect one. Of course, pro-sports owners have been known to morgage the future before. And it does partly answer your question about how the 'Boys have so many stars.

Puppy EndlessDennis has turned a few heads around hereEndlessDennis has turned a few heads around here

The Chiefs talked to Culpepper and theyve had Bruce Gradkowski and Quinn Grey in for workouts, any word if Rattay is in on the mix? Mick would probably know

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessDennis View Post
    The Chiefs talked to Culpepper and theyve had Bruce Gradkowski and Quinn Grey in for workouts, any word if Rattay is in on the mix? Mick would probably know
    Thank you for redirecting. I was very disappointed to see a thread about Tim hi-jacked for 2 pages. The post count gave me false hope that there was some news about Tim.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    Thank you for redirecting. I was very disappointed to see a thread about Tim hi-jacked for 2 pages. The post count gave me false hope that there was some news about Tim.

Oh but it wasnt, we were basically talking about how such and such QBs blow ass and we dont understand how Tim isnt getting a shot. This isnt a Tim Rattay news thread anyway, the title is Charlie Frye>>>Tim Rattay, which prompts itself to listing QBs that have no biz being in the League over Tim.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

"A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it." - Everlasting Man, 1925
    I might start peppering any highjacks I am a participant in with Chesterton quotes. In honor of the allusion that wasn't a highjack afterall.

Champ MICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessDennis View Post
    Tim is not in the mix. He did not impress the Chiefs in his workout with them several weeks ago when they hired the guy from the Titans practice squad---Ingle Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by MICKEYS14 View Post
    Tim is not in the mix. He did not impress the Chiefs in his workout with them several weeks ago when they hired the guy from the Titans practice squad---Ingle Martin.
    My amazement that our boy is not in the league grows every week. How many teams would be looking at an instant upgrade with Tim starting this week playbook or not?

Seattle? K.C.? Dallas? Detroit? Minnesota? S.F.? Baltimore? Cinncinati? New England?

You'd have to think about it in at least those organizations, wouldn't you?

Puppy EndlessDennis has turned a few heads around hereEndlessDennis has turned a few heads around here

News on Tim:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...im_rattay.html

The Detroit Lions have confirmed that quarterback Tim Rattay was at Allen Park today for a workout. It's not unusual for NFL clubs to bring in free agents on Tuesdays to compile their "short list'' in case of future injuries. A signing is not imminent.
    Rattay, an eight-year veteran who has 18 career starts, was with the Arizona Cardinals in 2007. Over his career, Rattay has completed 60.5 percent of his passes, has thrown 31 touchdowns and 23 interceptions and has a passer efficiency rating of 81.9.
    It's possible that the Lions could eventually add a veteran quarterback to their roster because No. 3 QB Drew Henson still has practice squad eligibility.
    Keeping tabs on former Lions -- tackle Jonathan Scott worked out for the Houston Texans today while safety Terrance Holt worked out for the Seattle Seahawks.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Oh but it wasnt, we were basically talking about how such and such QBs blow ass and we dont understand how Tim isnt getting a shot. This isnt a Tim Rattay news thread anyway, the title is Charlie Frye>>>Tim Rattay, which prompts itself to listing QBs that have no biz being in the League over Tim.
    So it wasn't really two pages--just 12 posts about Dallas with little or no mention of QBs. But, it still gave me false hope.

As much as I'd like to see Tim on a roster again, not sure how I feel about the Detroit thing. On the flip side, it keeps his name in circulation. But to flip it again, how many times can he work out and NOT get picked up before that by itself works against him (e.g., Jerry Jones thinks to himself, "Hell, the damn Chiefs didn't even want this guy, why would I want to give him a workout?").

So it wasn't really two pages--just 12 posts about Dallas with little or no mention of QBs. But, it still gave me false hope.

As much as I'd like to see Tim on a roster again, not sure how I feel about the Detroit thing. On the flip side, it keeps his name in circulation. But to flip it again, how many times can he work out and NOT get picked up before that by itself works against him (e.g., Jerry Jones thinks to himself, "Hell, the damn Chiefs didn't even want this guy, why would I want to give him a workout?").
    Good point about the multiple workouts, but the Lions do have some good skill position players at WR and Orlovsky has been unimpressive. If he went there, I think he could start if they are open-minded about it.

Good point about the multiple workouts, but the Lions do have some good skill position players at WR and Orlovsky has been unimpressive. If he went there, I think he could start if they are open-minded about it.
    I think their coach is on record as saying that the best player will start regardless of draft position or salary. Easier to say than do, but with new management maybe he can actually coach this way. So if Tim does sign there, that is good news.

"Some of you guys sit up in the bleachers all day eating popcorn, looking down. I'm in the middle of the arena, in a team meeting, and if I'm 0-5 or 5-0, I look at those men with the same consistent message. The guy who's playing well is gonna play. That respects our game. Do you understand what respect of this game is? And the way you hurt high draft picks in the past here is, 'Hey, it's yours. C'mon, yours. You can mess up all you want. You can gain weight. You can do anything you want and you're going to still play. That insults this game, now. That insults it.''
    -- Detroit coach Rod Marinelli, on first-round pick Gosder Cherilus, who has failed to earn the starting right tackle job despite being the 17th overall pick in the 2008 draft.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...0/week7/1.html

That was just a small tangent, B, come on.

Looks like the Lions are gonna wait until one of their QBs (they only have two as far as I know) get hurt before they sign Tim. If that happens, he's going to end up playing when he only knows 10 plays again (like with Arizona last season)

You would think teams would be lined up to have Tim as a backup after what he did in 06 with the Buccaneers. I think the Titans ruined him by releasing him after training camp.

+ Reply to Thread