+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Deer Season?

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

Re: Deer Season?

Quote Originally Posted by Choudawg86 View Post
    not a monster but it'll make some great green onion and garlic sausage :icon_wink:
    do you mix any pork with that.........i would love to put some deer/garlic/green onion sausage on the smoker........never smoked any deer sausage but would be worried about it drying out easily.....

Champ BulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the rough

Did anyone lose a cat?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by faninmonroe View Post
    do you mix any pork with that.........i would love to put some deer/garlic/green onion sausage on the smoker........never smoked any deer sausage but would be worried about it drying out easily.....
    I honestly dont know what they do with it but i would assume they do. Get mine done at Dowlings in Simsboro.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

I honestly dont know what they do with it but i would assume they do. Get mine done at Dowlings in Simsboro.

that is a long drive for me to get a deer processed........

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

A good 80% venison to 20% pork butt or similar fatty cut is about the right mix. A major key to making venison sausage that stays moist during smoking is to mix in a good amount of water before stuffing into casings. As the sausage smokes/grills it releases this excess water keeping the sausage nice and moist. One of my favorite venison sausage recipes has: chopped green onion, sage, crushed red pepper, course ground black pepper, touch of cumin (just enought to let you know it's there), touch of chili powder, course kosher salt (lots), chopped garlic, and file..yep, gumbo file is my secret ingredient. You read it here first!
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    A good 80% venison to 20% pork butt or similar fatty cut is about the right mix. A major key to making venison sausage that stays moist during smoking is to mix in a good amount of water before stuffing into casings. As the sausage smokes/grills it releases this excess water keeping the sausage nice and moist. One of my favorite venison sausage recipes has: chopped green onion, sage, crushed red pepper, course ground black pepper, touch of cumin (just enought to let you know it's there), touch of chili powder, course kosher salt (lots), chopped garlic, and file..yep, gumbo file is my secret ingredient. You read it here first!
    HEE Hee got it now.

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rabiddawg View Post
    HEE Hee got it now.
    now if we can just get the Crabby Patty recipe, we can RULE THE WORLDDDDDD !!!

(oh yeah, its ground up plankton, yuck)

Champ shreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of light shreveportdawg's Avatar

Saw 7 on the 6th. 8 point, 6 point, spike, 2 does and 2 yearlings. Shot the 8 point and one doe. Bucks are starting to scrape pretty heavy. Have a few bucks following does on a couple of stands. About another week and they will be all out rutting at our place. Bienville Parish

I have some deer sausage that will be delivered to me next week - will let you know how the smoking goes........I like marketdawg's recipe for deer sausage - thinking about taking the meat out of the casing and building my own based on his recipe...

also getting some wild ducks - not sure how to tackle those on the smoker - will give it a try but I imagine I will have to grill it after smoking to crisp up the skin......

Yesterday was my boy first "real" duck hunt. I think he's hooked. the count was 9 wood ducks, 2 greys and a teal between the 3 adults. I have never, and i mean NEVER seen as many wood ducks in one hole as what i saw yesterday.

OOPS, this was for the duck hunting section.

Big Dog honker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the rough

Killed a big 8 pt in Downsville last Wednesday after work when that nasty, cold, wet weather was getting over with. I will post a pic later, but he had 10 in G-2s, 15 wide, with great mass

Champ shreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of light shreveportdawg's Avatar

Pic from the 6th
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by shreveportdawg View Post
    Pic from the 6th
    guess they call that "deer'y style"

guess they call that "deer'y style"
    Some might call it that. I call it stacking them like cordwood.

if any of you guys get one of those bucks that isnt quite big enough to do a shoulder mount on, but, is big enough you want it on the wall, you might try this. This is a friend of mine's site. Had one done last year and it looks SHARP.

http://www.camoskull.com/

+ Reply to Thread