+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MNF.... what NOT to do

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

MNF.... what NOT to do

in a Football game with play-calling and time management.

I know that Mike Singletary is trying to install a tough mentality in his team, but running the ball into the pile on 2nd, and 4th down is just DUMB.

You have 3 chances to THROW for a TD and don't have to worry about picking your linemen up and spiking the ball and crap. THROW the ball and you have 3 chances to score....

Running the ball gave you only 2 chances AND, once again, you have to fight the clock in getting your linemen up, getting the ball to the Official, and lining up right for the spike hopefully with enough time to run another play.

Oh, and then on 4th and Goal from the 2, you put in your second string RB, pack in the defense with 7 on the LOS and run it into the middle of the pile and don't even get close.

That's just CRAZY... I hope that Mike learns from this and puts the ball in his QB's hands in future situations.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Re: MNF.... what NOT to do

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    in a Football game with play-calling and time management.

I know that Mike Singletary is trying to install a tough mentality in his team, but running the ball into the pile on 2nd, and 4th down is just DUMB.

You have 3 chances to THROW for a TD and don't have to worry about picking your linemen up and spiking the ball and crap. THROW the ball and you have 3 chances to score....

Running the ball gave you only 2 chances AND, once again, you have to fight the clock in getting your linemen up, getting the ball to the Official, and lining up right for the spike hopefully with enough time to run another play.

Oh, and then on 4th and Goal from the 2, you put in your second string RB, pack in the defense with 7 on the LOS and run it into the middle of the pile and don't even get close.

That's just CRAZY... I hope that Mike learns from this and puts the ball in his QB's hands in future situations.
    Yep that last call was the worst in history I believe. And what the hell happened when it took them 10 seconds to spike the ball when they got down to the 2?

Champ DogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond repute DogtorEvil's Avatar

racists

;P

Champ DogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond repute DogtorEvil's Avatar

seriously though, I was surprised at the final call. Made little sense.

Warner looks like the Warner of 'the greatest show on turf' again

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

I don't want to blame anything on Singletary, because I'm afraid that he might hunt me down and stare me to death.

But, the arguments between him and Martz on the sideline make it obvious that communication isn't great in SF.

The thing I had trouble with was how the QB handled it. With about 30 seconds to go, he was directing traffic and made Isaac Bruce move from the right halfback position to the left halfback position before hiking the ball and snapping it. Why does it matter if he's on the left or right, as long as he is in the backfield? And, that wasted about 5-7 seconds by itself. The coaches deserve some of the blame, but I thought the QB handled it very badly.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Don't recall the play, but I would say that he was sliding protection.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

It was the spike play, no need to slide protection. He just panicked and lost his head for 10 seconds.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Doc,

My bad. My previous post said, "before hiking the ball and snapping it" when it should have said, "before hiking the ball and spiking it". Sorry for the confusion. Bud, dhuss is right, it was a spike play so I don't understand why he wasted that much time before spiking the ball. The QB didn't handle clock management well in the last minute, but maybe that goes back to your point about coaching. They should have him prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    Doc,

My bad. My previous post said, "before hiking the ball and snapping it" when it should have said, "before hiking the ball and spiking it". Sorry for the confusion. Bud, dhuss is right, it was a spike play so I don't understand why he wasted that much time before spiking the ball. The QB didn't handle clock management well in the last minute, but maybe that goes back to your point about coaching. They should have him prepared.

I dont think it has to do with coaching, IMO, not for the spike play at least. Any QB from HS on up should understand the spike play. The only way coaching could be involved is if they didnt tell everybody where they needed to line up beforehand, which might have been the case. Miscommunication could lead to not enough men on the line of scrimmage, the coach's job might be to make sure that people know where to line up. As far as making Ike Bruce shift in the backfield, that was just dumb. He was off the line of scrimmage regardless, so it didnt matter.

Big Dog bdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the rough

there was a bit on sportcenter last night and the coaches were talking about how the spot and challenge screwed them up....they called the FB dive play cause the ball was spotted on the 1 yard line....then they review it and they say its on the 2.5 yd line and the clock will start on the ref's signal....that is Mike Martz's excuse anyway.

Yeah, I can see that, but he's also blaming the refs. It's never a good idea to pass the buck, and this might get him fined.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8785114?MSNHPHMA

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    I dont think it has to do with coaching, IMO, not for the spike play at least. Any QB from HS on up should understand the spike play. The only way coaching could be involved is if they didnt tell everybody where they needed to line up beforehand, which might have been the case. Miscommunication could lead to not enough men on the line of scrimmage, the coach's job might be to make sure that people know where to line up. As far as making Ike Bruce shift in the backfield, that was just dumb. He was off the line of scrimmage regardless, so it didnt matter.

I know where they can find a better QB.:icon_wink:

+ Reply to Thread