+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leon's Influence @ Baylor

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Question Leon's Influence @ Baylor

Holy crap!! I'm just wondering if Leon's work @ Baylor had anything to do with them demolishing Stanford today? Don't get me wrong - I wish him well ( except when/if they play us ) but Stanford was the preseason #2 or #3 in almost every poll ( behind UConn ) yet they got hammered by the Lady Bears by 16 points!!
    Guess there's some parity in WBB 'cause UConn was played close by Georgia Tech ( won by 9 ) & LSU got beaten by Notre Dame.
    I watched the LSU game on ESPN2 & I'm not so sure that we can't play with them. Originally I pencilled that game in as an "L" for us but if we can pick up our guard play to match Johnson & Dowdell, I think we have a good shot!!

Gene
    Last edited by Mean Gene; 11-16-2008 at 04:42 PM. Reason: add comment

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Re: Leon's Influence @ Baylor

First up, big congrats to Kim and Leon for a great win.

Next, the LSU loss to Notre Dame isn't that surprising. LSU lost everything they had from last season. I, like you, had originally penciled in our game with them as a loss. I agree that it may be a better game than I'd originally thought. That said, I'm waiting until I see the Techsters play against teams that are competitive before I make any more comments about this season.

So far, we've seen signs of hope, but we'd seen the same thing at this point last season as well. It does sound like we have more depth (even though less height) and from what I've read on this board, it also sounds like some of the new players are bringing much-needed emotion. That, combined with the addition of Spoon, HAS to help what was a lackluster effort for the past two years.

Memphis should tell us a little more about this team, and Tennessee will tell us a lot.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Welcome back, my friend! Yep, I made the first half of Friday's game & the biggest thing that jumped out to me was the emotion & hustle with which the Ladies played. We all know that comes from Spoon but I even saw CL get a little animated so perhaps she's rubbing off on him as well!!
    U said that we'd seen signs of hope at this point of last season but I recall the radio announcers saying that we'd lost the opening home game of the past 3 seasons. Geez!! Remind me again who's been the HC the past 3 seasons?? OK, so that'll be my only shot @ CL in this thread - maybe!! I remember the days when we were almost unbeatable in the TAC regardless of whom we played ( think the Cheryl Miller-led USC team handed us our first loss after we moved from Memorial Gym ).
    Anyway, U're right about LSU losing all their starters ( forgot about that ) but they're still taller than us ( have six players 6'2" or taller but five are true freshmen so they may not get much court time ). Memphis should provide a better barometer for how far we've come.

Tyler - Thanks for the post! I figured that Leon's influence is probably more during practice & developing game plans rather than coaching off the bench. I think he wouldn't want to step on KM's toes & besides, if LB really wanted to get back into coaching full time, WE'D be his first choice!! If that had come to pass, don't worry about CL. The woods around Ruston can hide a body for a LONG time!! :icon_wink:
    Last edited by Mean Gene; 11-16-2008 at 06:10 PM. Reason: add comment

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Big difference between this years Baylor/Stanford and last year's game was the play of Baylor's inside players. Last year they were irrelevant. This year they controlled the game. Maybe Stanford just isn't as good without Wiggins, but the Baylor post players apparently were a lot better this year (last year the posts were quite good against bad teams but disappeared against good teams).

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc View Post
    Big difference between this years Baylor/Stanford and last year's game was the play of Baylor's inside players. Last year they were irrelevant. This year they controlled the game. Maybe Stanford just isn't as good without Wiggins, but the Baylor post players apparently were a lot better this year (last year the posts were quite good against bad teams but disappeared against good teams).
    And that is LB's expertise.

I was thinking the EXACT same thing!! Leon developed Pam & Janice as well as others while here & it's almost frightening to see what he'll be able to do w/the 6' 8" young lady ( Griner ) coming in next season since she can already dunk & dribble behind her back/between her legs!!
    Supposedly CL worked w/Cheryl ( under Budke ) so maybe he can do something w/the taller recruits I see WE have coming in next year!!

MG
    Last edited by Mean Gene; 11-18-2008 at 10:48 PM. Reason: add comment

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc View Post
    And Baylor will be a force for years to come. Kim Mulkey just signed the top post player in the country, 6'8" Brittney Griner, of Houston (TX) Nimitz. Griner averaged almost 25 pts, 12 rebounds and 5.9 blocked shots per game as a junior. She also shot 64% from the field.

http://baylorbears.cstv.com/sports/w...111208aaa.html

HD

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post
    I was thinking the EXACT same thing!! Leon developed Pam & Janice as well as others while here & it's almost frightening to see what he'll be able to do w/the 6' 8" young lady ( Griner ) coming in next season since she can already dunk & dribble behind her back/between her legs!!
    I've often wondered just how good Cheryl Miller might have been if she'd played for Leon (not that she was a slouch as it was). Now, Leon gets a chance to coach a game-changing player of that caliber. If Griner stays healthy, Baylor is going to be a top 2-3 team for the next four years. Kim has proven she can coach. With that kind of talent and with Leon to make her the best she can be in the post, Baylor will be scary-good. I'm looking forward to it.

What's the chance LB is:

1) At Baylor 1 year getting his feet wet again
    2) Giving CL some space, by being out of town this year, to get his act together or be fired
    3) Then coming back to TECH next year as HC with TSpoon as Asst HC and traveling HC (so LB doesn't have to fly)
    until he retires for good.
    4) At that point in time, TSpoon gets the new HC job.

Thumbs Up Re: Leon's Influence @ Baylor

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    What's the chance LB is:

2) Giving CL some space, by being out of town this year, to get his act together or be fired
    3) Then coming back to TECH next year as HC with TSpoon as Asst HC and traveling HC (so LB doesn't have to fly)
    Tyler - WOW!! That's the BEST scenario I've seen spelled out here & actually makes sense. How can we make it happen?????????

Dawg - Yep, it might be frightening w/Kim & leon as a tag team. With Kim working w/the guards & Leon w/the posts- GOOD GAWD!!!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    What's the chance LB is:

All we know is his quote in my signature.

Champ latech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond repute

It is pretty sad that we have no positive thing to make a new thread about our team - we have to talk about Baylor :bigcry: this shows how far the Techster program has fallen.
    ________
    IOLITE VAPORIZER MOISTURE CONDENSER
    Last edited by latech; 04-29-2011 at 11:18 PM.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by latech View Post
    It is pretty sad that we have no positive thing to make a new thread about our team - we have to talk about Baylor :bigcry: this shows how far the Techster program has fallen.
    One game does not a season make. There are a LOT of positive things going on. We need to look to the future and not the past now. This could be very exciting, but we have a ways to go.

+ Reply to Thread