+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tech -Memphis Game Thread

Champ tigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant future tigtoo30's Avatar

Re: Tech -Memphis Game Thread

FINAL 67-60 Memphis

Champ LT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the rough

Angry Re: Tech -Memphis Game Thread

Memphis was 10-20 last year, and has already lost to Belmont this year.

Big Dog TBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of light TBDawg01's Avatar

According to Gametracker we shot 25 more field goals than Memphis and made 2 less, that is pathetic.

TB

Varsity Bulldog dawgomatic is on top of his/her gamedawgomatic is on top of his/her gamedawgomatic is on top of his/her gamedawgomatic is on top of his/her gamedawgomatic is on top of his/her gamedawgomatic is on top of his/her gamedawgomatic is on top of his/her gamedawgomatic is on top of his/her gamedawgomatic is on top of his/her gamedawgomatic is on top of his/her gamedawgomatic is on top of his/her game

I was at the game. It was played on campus in a little cracker box of a gym. I was one of 5 or 6 Tech fans. Techsters played very good on defense, but we have tiny players and can't shoot. It looks like it's going to be a very long season and we will be lucky to match last year's wins.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

If we have a bunch of guards on the team, why can't any of them shoot?????

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawgomatic View Post
    we have tiny players and can't shoot..
    Sounds like a recipe for failure. Thanks CL!

HD

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Frown Re: Tech -Memphis Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Horndawgs View Post
    If we have a bunch of guards on the team, why can't any of them shoot?????
    That's been an unanswered question ( one of MANY ) for the CL years. He keeps recruiting midget ( but quick ) guards yet they can't shoot. At least we have some height coming in next season. And lets find the one positive in this game. Our FT shooting got better ( 48% vs UCA but 53% tonight!!! ).

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I was upset, of course, with the shooting. The problem is that we DO have shooters. They had an off night. It was a rough game - sounds like we did everything right except getting the ball in the hole. I won't try to put a positive spin on this one. It was a bad night. Let's just hope that was all it was. We know Johnson can score, but she didn't have but 2 points until the last few minutes. It was a very off night and the coaches will have to figure out how to deal with it before Sunday.

Sometimes, a team needs a game like this to get them going. Let's hope this was that game.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Traveling, so I'm up a bit earlier than usual.

Champ keeps saying we have shooters. It appears though that they can shoot only when not being defended. And I guess one could argue that if we DO have shooters, yet we've not seen them able to SHOOT for more than one game out of every five, then perhaps they are NOT shooters after all.

This is another low. We're in the THIRD REBUILDING YEAR, and already, two games into the season, many are talking about "next year" and how much better it will be. Seriously?

This game and the stats tell the same sad story of the past two seasons. Let's hope Long rights the ship earlier than he was able to for the past two years.

We lost to a very poor team who outplayed the Techsters plain and simple. A very sad, but somewhat predictable, outcome.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by fanfromafar View Post
    Traveling, so I'm up a bit earlier than usual.

Champ keeps saying we have shooters. It appears though that they can shoot only when not being defended. And I guess one could argue that if we DO have shooters, yet we've not seen them able to SHOOT for more than one game out of every five, then perhaps they are NOT shooters after all.

This is another low. We're in the THIRD REBUILDING YEAR, and already, two games into the season, many are talking about "next year" and how much better it will be. Seriously?

This game and the stats tell the same sad story of the past two seasons. Let's hope Long rights the ship earlier than he was able to for the past two years.

We lost to a very poor team who outplayed the Techsters plain and simple. A very sad, but somewhat predictable, outcome.
    When you see the stats from the last game and see them for this one, it shows that the team had an off night shooting. Many of the shots - even LAYUPS - rolled out. Uncontested shots came rimming out last night. We had a poor shooting NIGHT. I hope that is ALL it was.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    When you see the stats from the last game and see them for this one, it shows that the team had an off night shooting. Many of the shots - even LAYUPS - rolled out. Uncontested shots came rimming out last night. We had a poor shooting NIGHT. I hope that is ALL it was.
    You're right about the stats of the first game vs. the second game. What you did not point out is the obvious: Memphis, although a bottom-dweller, is a far better team than the first team we played. The stats were better in the first game, we would have hoped the stats would improve in the second game against what most of us considered a "gimme", but when I look at how poorly the Techsters shot, and how WELL Memphis did against our "stellar defensive effort", I can only hear the drumbeat of the past two seasons in my head.

Yes, it's too early to write this year off as yet ANOTHER rebuilding year. The next ten games will tell us whether or not we've made progress from last season.

Varsity Bulldog dawgomatic is on top of his/her gamedawgomatic is on top of his/her gamedawgomatic is on top of his/her gamedawgomatic is on top of his/her gamedawgomatic is on top of his/her gamedawgomatic is on top of his/her gamedawgomatic is on top of his/her gamedawgomatic is on top of his/her gamedawgomatic is on top of his/her gamedawgomatic is on top of his/her gamedawgomatic is on top of his/her game

The Techsters are very quick on defense and created lots or turnovers, but converted few of them into points. Memphis had a much better inside game. Bendolph was flattened by one of the Memphis big girls. I hope she doesn't have a concussion.

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

The stats bear out the fact that, while CL recruited several HS POY in his tenure, none of them can shoot. At the risk of having Champ tell me ( again ) about how KB left the cupboard bare w/his use of JUCO's, our FG percentage has steadily dropped & actually began under KB's last season. 04/05 was KB's .406% then under CL we went .405%/.390% & last year's .404%. I'm sure that defensive play has improved in WBB but in the previous 12 years ( w/Leon then KB's first 2 seasons ) we averaged .461% from the field ( still couldn't shoot FT's - around 68% but better than this season's starting out ).
    I touched on the use of a sports psycologist in an earlier thread so maybe we REALLY need to consider one now!!

Puppy Wes has turned a few heads around hereWes has turned a few heads around hereWes has turned a few heads around hereWes has turned a few heads around hereWes has turned a few heads around here

I don't think Tech has what I'd consider good shooters. They're good volume shooters and capable scorers. But without a post presence to loosen things up on the perimeter, they're going to have to rely on a drive and kick game. Their guards are going to have to break down defenses off the dribble.

Ironically, they should probably take a cue from Memphis' men's team since Calipari has implemented this system quite well and last year didn't utilize much of a post game (except he had the advantage of agile, active, athletic bigs on the defensive end). Another irony is that Spoon herself implemented this style pretty well in the ABA which kept her team of midgets in games they should have never had a chance to win.

All that said, Tech should not lose to a team like Memphis. This seems like a lack of focus and possibly looking ahead to what's now (wrongfully) considered a vulnerable team in Knoxville as opposed to taking care of business first. Memphis lost to Belmont. Tech is 60 points better than Belmont. Hiccups happen and losing TK is huge, but if Tech wants to improve, they're going to have to beat teams that they're supposed to beat. Ole Miss will probably smack Memphis.

Quote Originally Posted by dawgomatic View Post
    The Techsters are very quick on defense and created lots or turnovers, but converted few of them into points. Memphis had a much better inside game. Bendolph was flattened by one of the Memphis big girls. I hope she doesn't have a concussion.
    Again, read the stats. You can SAY the Techsters played great defense all day long but the percentages of Memphis' shots falling and three-pointers bear out the reality that the Techsters played like a really bad basketball team last night....much the same way they played last season....and the season before.

Just because we THINK the defense is good, doesn't mean it is. And "good" NOW compared to what really WAS good is world's apart.

+ Reply to Thread