+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20% Shooting

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Re: 20% Shooting

Don't get me wrong here. I STILL don't think CL is HC material on the college level &, in my mind, at least, Spoon must prove herself in areas not just limited to the playing court. I THINK she will be able to recruit ( & Karl helps ) but Sharky raises good points. Can she scout or put together solid game plans? How much exposure in these areas is she getting now?
    Leon was ( & is ) a GREAT coach but he had the foresight to surround himself with solid AC's ( Blair, Kim, Fortner, etc ) & those folks have moved on to successful HC spots. Guess we'll need to let this season play out & decide after that if the program is heading in a positive or negative direction. We can clearly see which way it's going now. :bigcry:

Puppy Wes has turned a few heads around hereWes has turned a few heads around hereWes has turned a few heads around hereWes has turned a few heads around hereWes has turned a few heads around here

Sharky does bring up good points, except the idea that Tech was the only option for Spoon and thus there must be something wrong, is not true at all.

Tech was the first option because of Karl's quick thinking.

It's not like Spoon's been sitting around since retirement waiting for the phone to ring with a coaching job. No one even knew Spoon wanted to coach until she turned up in the ABA and people weren't even sure then because it was figured that she was doing it as a favor.

Spoon always seemed more interested in commentating or management and it wasn't a given that she was even going to stick around basketball professionally because she had been actively pursuing business interests as her career wound down. When she retired and started doing ESPN and CSTV stuff while also doing stuff for the Liberty, people figured it was a given that this was the route she was going. Because of the assumption that she was more inclined to be interested in management, the Liberty offered Spoon a 6 figure front office deal with no expiration date and have been doing so for the last 5 years.

When the Liberty did inquire as to Spoon's interest in joining their coaching staff immediately after retirement, she declined to even consider it. The reason she's not in NY is because of who is, not because they didn't try. Sue Wicks, who is coaching at St. Francis, also had no interest in being on their coaching staff.

At a season ticket holder event last year, just a couple of weeks before she took the ABA gig, Spoon came in to talk to Liberty fans. She said she was interested in coaching, but specifically wanted to be an assistant coach for a while so that she could get her feet wet, and in her words, work her way up while learning every aspect of the job such as running practices, game management and advanced scouting. I view this as an asset as opposed to certain former players who think they should be handed something just because of who they are. She views coaching as a completely separate career from her playing days and wanted it to be treated as such.

People less qualified than Spoon get hired for WNBA and college coaching jobs every day. For a lot of people around basketball, April 12, 2008 was the first time any of them had even heard Spoon seriously wanted to pursue coaching and by then it was too late. But now, it's open season. There's a school in the Big East keeping tabs on Spoon's Tech situation right now.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

We should all keep a calm head, which I think most of us are doing, and realize that this was one game. Let's see how it goes from here. No need to overreact to one loss when our shooting was cold and we couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. It was one game.

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Big Grin Re: 20% Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    We should all keep a calm head, which I think most of us are doing, and realize that this was one game. Let's see how it goes from here. No need to overreact to one loss when our shooting was cold and we couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. It was one game.
    Hey, Champ! Can ya believe that I'M one of those leading the "it's ONE bad game" charge!! Don't tell FFA on me!!!!!

MG

Wes - The fact that Spoon mentioned to the Liberty fans that she wanted to be an AC first to "get her feet wet" then grow into a HC spot speaks volumes to the kind of person she is. She prefers to earn her place in life & ( I hope ) these are some of the off-court traits she's teaching the current Techsters.
    Now the question begs how longs she'll remain at Tech. Does she have higher goals than coaching in the college ranks or would she be willing to remain w/us if/when CL is gone? These will be interesting questions to ponder AFTER this season. Let's not give up on THIS one already, folks!!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post
    Hey, Champ! Can ya believe that I'M one of those leading the "it's ONE bad game" charge!! Don't tell FFA on me!!!!!

MG
    I know! It is sort of freaky to me. :icon_wink:

Champ beaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

well as long as we depend on an all guard system, there are always going to be games like this. When they are hot we win, when not we don't. Thats why an inside game is so important. Until we get the big girls in expect more of the same

+ Reply to Thread