+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: keeping it classy....

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Re: keeping it classy....

First, I am NOT an LSU fan in any way, shape or form. My wife and I wore our Tech stuff last year to the game and took a long stroll through the LSU tailgaters. Of course we got the "Tiger Bait" chants from drunken students. What else would you expect? Otherwise, we had no problems with their fans and had a great time tailgating.

The only bummer was our team committing 5 turnovers and getting hammered by the 2007 National Champions. There are some places I will not go again, but Baton Rouge is not one of them. Looking forward to a much more competitive game next year.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

It's a disgusting place as well as 2/3 of their gameday fans period.

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coop1448 View Post
    I chose to believe that our AD/HC knows and BELIEVES what a win there would mean to our program.

It is easy to look at it as he sold us out. Perhaps he BELIEVES and we should follow his lead. I believe that on any given day, anything can happen! If we go in there top 25, we MUST BELIEVE!

Believe in yourselves and GO DAWGS! I will be there sans the little ones.
    COOP,
    Good luck and best wishes. I respect your opinion and your loyalty, but humbly disagree. We did more to hurt the program the last two times down there then we could help it by winning one, especially with LSU in a down year (which is what they would say if we beat them). We could do more good by having a 6th home game and building a fan base back home. I saw more Tech alumni with purple on than I ever care to remember. I also sat in the Tiger Suites (or what ever they are called) and watched grown-ups dance around like teenage girls to every song the Tiger band played like they were on cue! I would rather sit in the Joe with 20k of my closest friends than travel down there to that cult!!!
    my humble opinion,
    DFiH

Big Dog #1techfan seems to have something between the ears#1techfan seems to have something between the ears#1techfan seems to have something between the ears#1techfan seems to have something between the ears#1techfan seems to have something between the ears#1techfan seems to have something between the ears#1techfan seems to have something between the ears#1techfan seems to have something between the ears #1techfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gcc005 View Post
    I understand your frustration, but fans are like that everywhere, it seems.

The thing about LSU is that every LSU fan knows someone that goes to Tech. Most people have brothers, sisters, good friends at both schools. I found that they treated us respectfully, and most gave us free beer before the game because they felt bad. Meanwhile, a few Hawaii fans tossed beer on us as we walked around this year. Now flash forward 5 years when we are a consistent bowl team, and things get ugly... Not gonna lie, I would love to see a Tech - LSU rivalry sometime in the distant, and I emphasize *distant* future.
    I would definately love to see a rivalry, but do you really think that the state of Louisiana and LSU would allow us to play them on a consistant basis if we began to beat them consistantly. They would definately stop that scheduling as soon as possible if we beat them. I think that as soon as one Louisiana school beats LSU they will be off the schedule and may have some sanctions put on them for doing so. THe state would never let another school pass LSU on any level.

I'm sure that there are some places that are just as bad and I'm sure we got it easy but it's still rediculous not show more sportsmanship to opposing fans.

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by #1techfan View Post
    I would definately love to see a rivalry, but do you really think that the state of Louisiana and LSU would allow us to play them on a consistant basis if we began to beat them consistantly. They would definately stop that scheduling as soon as possible if we beat them. I think that as soon as one Louisiana school beats LSU they will be off the schedule and may have some sanctions put on them for doing so. THe state would never let another school pass LSU on any level.

I'm sure that there are some places that are just as bad and I'm sure we got it easy but it's still rediculous not show more sportsmanship to opposing fans.
    You're right. One win and we'd be done for a while, unless fans called overwhelmingly for the matchup. LSU-Tulane is one of those games so steeped in tradition that they have to play it. But yes, we'd not play them again for a long time.

What Dooley is doing is making a mountain out of the pile of crap left on the bottom of a mole-hill. He doesn't have the funding, the recruiting, or the recognition that LSU has. But the football program is poised to do SO well in the coming years, all Tech needs to do is sustain it. If LA has two upper level FBS teams in the state, its natural that they would need to play. It just has to happen. Make Tech a force on the national stage, and you get consistent matchups with good teams, a la LSU.

Look at the history of the UT- Texas Tech matchup. They used to get no respect from UT, but now that they have prominence, they are developing a very real rivalry.

Big Dog coop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud of coop1448's Avatar

I agree that the last two trips did a lot of damage and what "THEY" would be saying if (when) we do win. But a win is a win, no matter how it comes, no matter who is having a bad day. And it would (will), quite possibly be, one of the greatest days of my life to "politely" smile down at the drunkards - as they lay in the ditches under the magnolias - as we pass through the gates of the flagship, and cross the ponds in our victory route back to Ruston!

Stay positive, focus and BELIEVE!

WE ARE.....BullDawgs.

Big Dog #1techfan seems to have something between the ears#1techfan seems to have something between the ears#1techfan seems to have something between the ears#1techfan seems to have something between the ears#1techfan seems to have something between the ears#1techfan seems to have something between the ears#1techfan seems to have something between the ears#1techfan seems to have something between the ears #1techfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gcc005 View Post
    You're right. One win and we'd be done for a while, unless fans called overwhelmingly for the matchup. LSU-Tulane is one of those games so steeped in tradition that they have to play it. But yes, we'd not play them again for a long time.

What Dooley is doing is making a mountain out of the pile of crap left on the bottom of a mole-hill. He doesn't have the funding, the recruiting, or the recognition that LSU has. But the football program is poised to do SO well in the coming years, all Tech needs to do is sustain it. If LA has two upper level FBS teams in the state, its natural that they would need to play. It just has to happen. Make Tech a force on the national stage, and you get consistent matchups with good teams, a la LSU.

Look at the history of the UT- Texas Tech matchup. They used to get no respect from UT, but now that they have prominence, they are developing a very real rivalry.
    I would love to get there one day. It would be great to be there and I would bask in the wonderful light of the day when we are consistantly a great program and LSU is forced to play us on a regular basis, win or lose.

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar

From my experience in 03 and 07, it all depends which side of hte stadium you are on. My wife and other family went in 03 and none of them returned due to the rudeness of lsu fans. I went with RhythymDawg last year and we parked on the other side of the stadium and had a great experience, fans were nice, inviting us to eat, watch their tvs, and I will go back if hte schedule allows. Just park as near as possible to the Tech Alumni tent and you will have a much better experience. I guess the classy fans are on that side. Stay away from the parade and campus side, bookstore, dorms, etc. Park near the indoor practice field and you will be fine.

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

In all due respect, I will park my rear on my couch and watch the festivities on the tube! That is as close as I want to get to BR!

Champ TulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to behold TulsaPup's Avatar

Every school has obnoxious, drunk, stupid fans. The difference is 90% of LSU fans fall into that category.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Different culuture folks. The problem is that too many of our Tech fans are too timid and clam up when an LSU fan yells their typical little chants. They're used to the Tech tailgates where if there are 1k people tailgaiting 2 hours before kickoff it's considered a party. Some of these people have been out there for a day or two and been cooped up in tents and RVs. Is it any wonder they have alot of energy to let out. Now, that doesn't excuse some of the behavior that we're all familiar with, but that's a very small majority, and if you'll notice, it is from, mostly, the colleged aged kids whether they're in college there or not. Heck, they're probably visiting from one of the other state colleges and trying to "prove" their merit.

I never have any problem with the tailgaters because I know how to and when to give it back. Plus, my final destination for tailgating is with one of the judges from Ascension Parish. Stay away from the young tailgaters, and generally, everything will be fine. When you have nearly 200k fans in that tight of an area, there's the chance for a really good time and most of the fans are gracious. Sure they're loud and boisterous. Boy what I would give for that at Tech. If you stroll through the RV cities, I'd be willing to bet you that you'd have far less confrontations than food and party invitataions. Find the ones that have some sort of entertainment as well-dj, or live bands. I guess it's easy for me as I grew up here as well and was actually friends with quite a few players from the '70s that my mom helped pass class. I'll be back next year if the Lord is willing. Too much good, free food and live entertainment to pass up.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    Different culuture folks. The problem is that too many of our Tech fans are too timid and clam up when an LSU fan yells their typical little chants. They're used to the Tech tailgates where if there are 1k people tailgaiting 2 hours before kickoff it's considered a party. Some of these people have been out there for a day or two and been cooped up in tents and RVs. Is it any wonder they have alot of energy to let out. Now, that doesn't excuse some of the behavior that we're all familiar with, but that's a very small majority, and if you'll notice, it is from, mostly, the colleged aged kids whether they're in college there or not. Heck, they're probably visiting from one of the other state colleges and trying to "prove" their merit.

I never have any problem with the tailgaters because I know how to and when to give it back. Plus, my final destination for tailgating is with one of the judges from Ascension Parish. Stay away from the young tailgaters, and generally, everything will be fine. When you have nearly 200k fans in that tight of an area, there's the chance for a really good time and most of the fans are gracious. Sure they're loud and boisterous. Boy what I would give for that at Tech. If you stroll through the RV cities, I'd be willing to bet you that you'd have far less confrontations than food and party invitataions. Find the ones that have some sort of entertainment as well-dj, or live bands. I guess it's easy for me as I grew up here as well and was actually friends with quite a few players from the '70s that my mom helped pass class. I'll be back next year if the Lord is willing. Too much good, free food and live entertainment to pass up.

Wait, hold on, let me beat DFH to it. With all due respect . . . he's still not going Nov. 14!:icon_wink:
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Wait, hold on, let me beat DFH to it. With all due respect . . . he's still not going Nov. 14!:icon_wink:
    Oh that's fine. I certainly understand that and don't blame him. I guess the main point I'm trying to make is that when 90% of your fan base grow up like I did where you here curse words as often as normal words, you tend to be desensitized by it. Heck, I heard my grandfather call so many people GD bastards that were friends of his, I thought it was a term of endearment until I got old enough to realize what it really meant. But the thing is, he was using it in an endearing fashion, not a negative one. I guess that's why the atmosphere of LSU tailgating never really bothers me. I grew up around it. Heck, you want to see how it originates. Wait til the offseason and take a couple of weekends and travel the backroads until you come across a coupld of "family reunions". Same atmosphere to a certain extent. Try attending many of the festivals down here during festival (not Mardi Gras) season. Same atmosphere. The only difference is that the LSU tailgatings are all these things on steroids.

Champ george is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of light

i promise i am not trying to start a disagreement with anyone. and before you reply with, "i can post whatever i want on here" (which you can as far as i am concerned because i am not a moderator), hear me out.
    i find it sadly and comically ironic how infatuated this board is with lsu. on this board are probably some of the more rabid and intense tech fans. and we constantly complain how we hate seeing tech students or alum with lsu gear on; we dislike being relegated to second status in shreveport behind lsu; and we bemoan the fact that when we have a home game opposite a big lsu game, it might hurt our attendance, or people will choose to stay in the JAS parking lot and watch that game on tv. and yet, every time anything gets posted on this board regarding lsu, good or bad (usually bad), it gets a million hits and replies. i am obviously guilty of that now myself, as i am replying to this thread.
    wouldn't the best response to all things lsu be to give them what they give us? a big dose of ambivalence. who cares if they win or how idiotic their fans are? a week or two before we play them next year, i'll be very into it, talking smack with lsu friends and being excited about the game. and i'll go to the game in blue and i'll probably get cursed at and it is a shame but it is first hand proof of how such a large percentage of their fan base has no perspective.
    but what bothers me most is why do we as tech fans care so much? we are in the wac, not the sec. we are not rivals with lsu like alabama, ole miss, or even tulane are. we don't have a long history of playing them. if you want to make the argument that poor play on the field by lsu equals potential success for tech on the field, i will buy that to a degree. when they were bad in the '90's, we were preety good and there may be a correlation. we aren't going to get all the 4 and 5 star recruits they get, but we could make some in roads to their recruiting base, especially if they go in the tank and we continue to improve. so by all means, go on hating lsu as i am no fan myself, but do we really have to discuss what they do or how they do it on a tech message board? especially now, when we are potentially on the verge of a break through season? go away tigers...go away.

Quote Originally Posted by george View Post
    i promise i am not trying to start a disagreement with anyone. and before you reply with, "i can post whatever i want on here" (which you can as far as i am concerned because i am not a moderator), hear me out.
    i find it sadly and comically ironic how infatuated this board is with lsu. on this board are probably some of the more rabid and intense tech fans. and we constantly complain how we hate seeing tech students or alum with lsu gear on; we dislike being relegated to second status in shreveport behind lsu; and we bemoan the fact that when we have a home game opposite a big lsu game, it might hurt our attendance, or people will choose to stay in the JAS parking lot and watch that game on tv. and yet, every time anything gets posted on this board regarding lsu, good or bad (usually bad), it gets a million hits and replies. i am obviously guilty of that now myself, as i am replying to this thread.
    wouldn't the best response to all things lsu be to give them what they give us? a big dose of ambivalence. who cares if they win or how idiotic their fans are? a week or two before we play them next year, i'll be very into it, talking smack with lsu friends and being excited about the game. and i'll go to the game in blue and i'll probably get cursed at and it is a shame but it is first hand proof of how such a large percentage of their fan base has no perspective.
    but what bothers me most is why do we as tech fans care so much? we are in the wac, not the sec. we are not rivals with lsu like alabama, ole miss, or even tulane are. we don't have a long history of playing them. if you want to make the argument that poor play on the field by lsu equals potential success for tech on the field, i will buy that to a degree. when they were bad in the '90's, we were preety good and there may be a correlation. we aren't going to get all the 4 and 5 star recruits they get, but we could make some in roads to their recruiting base, especially if they go in the tank and we continue to improve. so by all means, go on hating lsu as i am no fan myself, but do we really have to discuss what they do or how they do it on a tech message board? especially now, when we are potentially on the verge of a break through season? go away tigers...go away.
    Good post. I tried using that reasoning in the past and gave up, so now I just post along with everyone else.

+ Reply to Thread