+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lady Techsters: '...the measuring stick'

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Re: Lady Techsters: '...the measuring stick'

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I honor Sonja for starting this program right - she is not here now.
    I honor Leon for all he did for the program - he is not here now.
    I honor Kim for what she did as a player and coach - she is not here now.
    I don't bring up Budke, unless others are singing his praises. Did I say Budke anywhere?

I am in the current and excited about what we can build. You are really misunderstanding my posts or you just want to argue.
    Wow.

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

But the Tennessee newpaper article itself references the history of the rivalry so I don't see how we can NOT bring up the past years when we were competitive ( & even beat the Lady Vols - often!! ). Certainly don't want to start up the Kim vs DR/JO soap opera nor the debate over the success ( like it or not - he WON!! ) of KB's tenure because my personal feelings are quite clear on both.
    Just because Leon's not here any longer does NOT lessen what he ( & Sonja ) did. Using that "logic", isn't it then reasonable to expect Florida State to remove the statue of Bobby Bowden once he retires?? Shouldn't UT rename "Peyton Manning Avenue" now that he's graduated?? So why are WE keeping Tim Rattay's name on the FB board??
    I think it's great that we pay tribute to our former alumni in some small way & Leon & Sonja put the name "Lady Techsters" in the forefront of WBB. Any success that his former players or AC's have once they leave us is a feather on Tech's cap - again, IMHO.
    Teresa hasn't turned anything around - YET!! I have high hopes that, GIVEN TIME, she will!! But wait a minute!! Isn't she ALSO from our "past"??? :icon_wink:
    There's room for our "past" to help groom our "present" & set the foundation for our "future".
    Happy Thanksgiving, ALL!!!

Gene

Varsity Bulldog cranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the ears

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post
    But the Tennessee newpaper article itself references the history of the rivalry so I don't see how we can NOT bring up the past years when we were competitive ( & even beat the Lady Vols - often!! ). Certainly don't want to start up the Kim vs DR/JO soap opera nor the debate over the success ( like it or not - he WON!! ) of KB's tenure because my personal feelings are quite clear on both.
    Just because Leon's not here any longer does NOT lessen what he ( & Sonja ) did. Using that "logic", isn't it then reasonable to expect Florida State to remove the statue of Bobby Bowden once he retires?? Shouldn't UT rename "Peyton Manning Avenue" now that he's graduated?? So why are WE keeping Tim Rattay's name on the FB board??
    I think it's great that we pay tribute to our former alumni in some small way & Leon & Sonja put the name "Lady Techsters" in the forefront of WBB. Any success that his former players or AC's have once they leave us is a feather on Tech's cap - again, IMHO.
    Teresa hasn't turned anything around - YET!! I have high hopes that, GIVEN TIME, she will!! But wait a minute!! Isn't she ALSO from our "past"??? :icon_wink:
    There's room for our "past" to help groom our "present" & set the foundation for our "future".
    Happy Thanksgiving, ALL!!!

Gene
    Don't forget to give Dr. FJ Taylor his props for the Lady Techsters!! When he was approached by Sonja Hogg and interested players, he was very supportive!! He and SH got all this started!! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I think MG and Cranberry's post are right on. We are really having two discussions here. One is should we honor those that built and maintained the program for all those years and the other is comparing where we are now to where we were then.

I believe in honoring all the people mentioned. I, also, believe we need to get on with looking forward and not backward.

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Thumbs Up Re: Lady Techsters: '...the measuring stick'

Quote Originally Posted by cranberry View Post
    Don't forget to give Dr. FJ Taylor his props for the Lady Techsters!! When he was approached by Sonja Hogg and interested players, he was very supportive!! He and SH got all this started!! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!
    There was a previous thread about why isn't Dr. Taylor in the WBB HOF & I agree that he should be. I remember seeing him at almost every Techster home game ( & quite a few on the road ). Heck, he'd sit amongst us students & cheer just as hard ( if not harder!! ). I can't recall the last time I saw DR in the TAC!!

MG

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post
    There was a previous thread about why isn't Dr. Taylor in the WBB HOF & I agree that he should be. I remember seeing him at almost every Techster home game ( & quite a few on the road ). Heck, he'd sit amongst us students & cheer just as hard ( if not harder!! ). I can't recall the last time I saw DR in the TAC!!

MG
    Dan and Linda make almost every basketball game.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teatech View Post
    Why is this part of the board named "Leon Barmore"?? I know he is an important part of Techster history but as long he is coaching at another University, his name shouldn't be invoked like it is on this board. Perhaps we should wait until he is finished coaching and just name this part of the board after a famous player. I'm new here so don't everyone go off on me at one time.
    Actually, you bring up a good point. Leon's name probably shouldn't be on this board anymore, at least not as long as he is on the coaching staff of Baylor. Leaving his name up in lights kinda makes us look like lovesick puppies. But that's just my opinion.

The ODU fan brought up some good points too. ODU is proof positive that you don't have to be a "BCS school" with a huge state flagship budget to still compete in women's basketball. Somehow I think we've erroneously convinced ourselves that we can no longer compete with the "big schools". This is obviously not the case at ODU.

It really is about the "coaching". We just need a new one.

HD
    Last edited by HogDawg; 11-27-2008 at 11:47 PM.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    How can you possibly call Kim Mulkey a turncoat? She played her heart out for the Techsters for four years. She brought fame to the program as the little Techster in the braids. She was the poster girl for four years. She then coached her heart out for the Techsters as a assistant coach. She always did it in complete support of her boss, Leon Barmore.

She paid her dues and should have been handed with no hesitation whatsoever the head coaching position upon Leon's retirement. She even got down on her knees in tears in Dan Reneau's office and begged for the only thing she wanted in her life--the head coach of the Lady Techsters. While humilitating herself in doing so, she already had the Baylor job in her purse. It was her's until she rejected it. The AD at Baylor never expected to hear her accept his offer because he never thought that DR and JO could collectively be such dummies. But they were.

There were three people in DR's office when this event occurred. Kim has told her version and to date neither DR nor JO has challenged her. Like the "tar baby" they ain't said nuttin bout dat day.

She begged to stay, so how can you possibly call her a turncoat with a straight face? Even if DR and JO had exercised even average judgement and offered her the job, and she chose to turn them down, she still would not have been a turncoat in my book. The monetary diffference between the compensation and budgets at Baylor versus Tech would have completely justified her decision to go to Baylor IMHO. She won a national championship at Baylor. She has justified her decision even if she never makes the NCAA tournament again, much less win it.

You can call her a turncoat all you want to, but it will never do anything to help the Lady Techster program. However, it will expose a flaw in your character.
    That is a GREAT post. And in my opinion, a very accurate summation of what happened during the Kim Mulkey fiasco. Thanks for posting!

HD

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    A flaw in my character? How so? I'm not the one that changed demands to what I knew couldn't be offered like she did. She wanted more years than she knew she could be given and used that as an excuse to leave because she wanted to build her own program. Begging on her knees and crying to Reneau. That's a freakin' laugh. She probably threw one of her famous temper tantrums like she did when she ran off that recruit who led Duke several years ago. Screw Kim Mulkey and her national championship. She can posture all she wants about how badly she wanted the Tech job. If she wanted it badly enough, she would have accepted the terms given her.
    Say what?

You can do better than that, DirtyDawg. Usually I enjoy your posts...but that post is truly a half-assed effort. You sound like a jilted lover. Never mind the fact that your anger is misdirected. Your anger should be directed at the people responsible for letting us all down.

HD

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgmatic View Post
    I agree. She could have built whatever she wanted here and gotten everything she wanted given time and winning. She left. It was her decision and she made it.
    I expected MORE from you too. Very disappointing.

HD

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Give it a rest HD and all the rest of you mulkey groupies. Screw her! She was offered a four-year contract to be headcoach of the Techsters. She turned down the offer and left and now she acts like boo-hoo me? Down on her knees begging and crying? Stupidest comment in the history of this topic! Yeah I can see that...

pigtails: "please make it a five-year deal."

DR: "well, it's for four years and I'm sure you'll do a great job, the contract will be renewed for some extended period..."

pigtails (interrupting): "NO! it is has to be five years now! I want it now! Now! Give it to me now! Now, I say! I am the great Kim Mulkey! Tech fans, like Hogdawg and others worship me...you'll be sorry."

And now Barmore has turned traitor too. Take down all references at the TAC, unretire his number, which shouldn't have been retired in the first place. There's a big dumpster behind the TAC, fill it up with all crapola related to Barmore and pigtails.

Our trophy case would be pretty empty w/o any of the acolades & awards that LB & KM helped put in there, then. We'll never know exactly what went on between KM & DR/JO but the bottom line is that she's gone & I, for one, wish her well. There's plenty of "what if" out there anyway ( although I'll admit that I tend to be one of the "what if'ers" occasionally ).
    Not sure why U seem to have such a hatred for Leon, though. He built the program & came out of retirement once to try to sustain it ( of course, he TOTALLY blew it w/his recommendation of CL as KB's successor!! ). We can finally say that we've done something like LSU because this situation is almost identical to them & Saban. All that remains is for Saban to win a national title ( might happen this season ) & the story will be complete. Yes, I know NS didn't build the football program @ LSU but he DID resurrect it so there R similarities.
    As Champ & others have said, what's done is done & we need to move on to rebuild/restore what we once had.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Give it a rest HD and all the rest of you mulkey groupies. Screw her! She was offered a four-year contract to be headcoach of the Techsters. She turned down the offer and left and now she acts like boo-hoo me? Down on her knees begging and crying? Stupidest comment in the history of this topic! Yeah I can see that....
    Those are foolish things to say, Dawg80 (no surprise here). The problem is, you are one of those people that just hasn't learned from your mistakes.

Between Mulkey's national championship, her current 9-0 record, her fantastic signing class, her outstanding coaching staff, her big time multimillion dollar contract, and her extremely bright future, she ain't even THINKING about you or little 'ole Louisiana Tech. She just laughs at people like you.

You and your ilk STILL haven't figured out that we needed Mulkey ALLOT worse than she needed us. That's the same mistake Oakes and Reneau made. When WILL you people learn?

HD

HD - So true that we needed her MUCH worse than she needed us. The disappointing thing was that she wanted to remain HERE but the clash of egos ( hers included as I played co-ed softball w/her & Randy for several seasons & she was ULTRA competitive & brash BUT she could back it up ( & is continuing to do so at BU )) didn't allow that to come to pass. Somehow I just don't see here staying awake at nights wondering what might have been had she remained at Tech although some of us ( liike me!! :icon_wink: ) have. Well, not staying awake but wondering - I digress, though.
    Again, this is turning into another KM love/hate-fest & the OP was about the ending of the Techster-UT rivalry so I'll TRY to stay back OT. I'd love to see Spoon get things turned around in the next 2 seasons to the point where Pat would consider putting us back on her OOC schedule. Only way that'll happen is if we can become competitive & relevant in the WBB world - again. Hope it happens & soon!! Now let's focus on WKU.

MG

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    she ain't even THINKING about you or little 'ole Louisiana Tech. She just laughs at people like you.

HD
    Yep, she NEVER thought about Tech fans or "little 'ole Louisiana Tech." I agree. Laughs at us? Maybe. But, I'd expect that from a classless bitch like her.

That's the point, HD (fool that you are). By YOUR words, she LAUGHS at Tech, she NEVER thought what her actions would do to Tech (and never cared) yet!, through all of that revelation, YOU still blame DR/JO for not keeping that bitch. Amazing.

By all evidence, if she had gotten her precious 5-year deal, in short order she would have made more demands. Then what? Would DR/JO bend over again and take it up the goola???? Probably, they would have drawn a line and she would have bolted to Baylor or elsewhere anyway!

Now, she has corrupted Barmore too. Good riddance to them both.

+ Reply to Thread