+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to give up the ghost

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Time to give up the ghost

Actually, it's two years past the time.

Champ Russdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Time to give up the ghost

BULL PLOP!!

With the quality of girls we have and our talent level we have the base to compete well in the WAC this year, get into the NCAA (with a WAC tournament win) or WNIT this year and be even stronger in the future. I have every expectation of the LADY TECHSTERS returning to top 25 status soon with our current team and next years recruits and Spoon's contribution. This CAN happen. We have the players. This years team will have to regroup and retool after losing Wysinger but it can be done, and there must be post season play this year or the big change at the top MUST made. We should accept nothing less. No exceptions, no excuses.

We will be fine and return to the top 25 with Spoon!! We'll be a tough, coming-after-you team with a respected name that everyone will dread playing. Elite? Maybe, maybe not. Solid, top 25, tough as nails? You bet.

dawg80 is a poster I always enjoy, but the title of this post bothers me if it refers to our program. If it refers to the H/C job, this season must tell. 20 wins, post season, or make the change.

I'll be there Wednesday and Sunday cheering for the Techsters.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post
    BULL PLOP!!

With the quality of girls we have and our talent level we have the base to compete well in the WAC this year, get into the NCAA (with a WAC tournament win) or WNIT this year and be even stronger in the future. I have every expectation of the LADY TECHSTERS returning to top 25 status soon with our current team and next years recruits and Spoon's contribution. This CAN happen. We have the players. This years team will have to regroup and retool after losing Wysinger but it can be done, and there must be post season play this year or the big change at the top MUST made. We should accept nothing less. No exceptions, no excuses.

We will be fine and return to the top 25 with Spoon!!

dawg80 is a poster I always enjoy, but the title of this post bothers me if it refers to our program. If it refers to the H/C job, this season must tell. 20 wins, post season, or make the change.

Actually, it refers to the "ghost of Techsters' past."

It does refer to the program. The past 2+ years do not in any way resemble the true Techsters. That is why, last year or the year before, I advocated a change to wearing royal blue and changing the name to Lady Bulldogs.

Too late now. The "Techster" name and legend have been forever tarnished. So, now that I think about it, there is no need for such changes. In fact, I hope they can regain some respectability for the image that has been wrecked.

Here's my original point, (changed now): the recent WBB teams at Louisiana Tech do not deserve the honor of being called Techsters. So, what should have been done is this:

Sorry, Coach Long, girls...y'all suck. You are NOT Lady Techsters. The Techsters win bunches of games, go to the NCAAs every year and are nationally ranked. So, you will wear royal blue and be called Bulldogs. You are the official WBB team at Louisiana Tech, but you are not Techsters.

The above is what I advocated two years ago.

Now, it is too late. The WBB program at Louisiana Tech must climb its way out of this hole and restore honor and prestige to the name Lady Techsters. But, this bunch and certainly that moron Chris Long won't get it done.

More changes are needed.

Varsity Bulldog cranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the ears

Quote Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post
    BULL PLOP!!

We will be fine and return to the top 25 with Spoon!! We'll be a tough, coming-after-you team with a respected name that everyone will dread playing. Elite? Maybe, maybe not. Solid, top 25, tough as nails? You bet.

Quit drinking the juice!! I am growing weary of all the "talent and great shooters" that are currently on board, with not much production!! Some have been here for 2 years and not much yet, IMO. I am so puzzled!!!!!

Puppy Wes has turned a few heads around hereWes has turned a few heads around hereWes has turned a few heads around hereWes has turned a few heads around hereWes has turned a few heads around here

The point has been made that Spoon lacks coaching experience. Point well taken. However, the Techsters have recruiting issues as in, their players either aren't very good or their players don't compliment each other. While Spoon alone wouldn't guarantee top 25 recruiting talent (facilities, academics, a better conference, tv time, etc. would) I think her name alone would get you better than what you have. Add her personality and way with people, and you might get a few players that may never have considered Tech in the past. Lenita Sanford and even being on CeCe Harper's list were enough to prove that to me.

You can debate coaching until the cows come home. A coach is only as good as the minimum of the talent surrounding him/her. What that coach does with that talent to take it to the next level is where the separation occurs. But you can't convince me that every top 40 program has a coach that knows everything and is on the level of a Barmore, Larry, Ryan, Summitt, Auriema, Vanderveer, Landers, Stringer, McGraw or Goestenkors. There are a lot of young coaches with a good knack for recruiting who improve their overall coaching ability on the job. That's why the UCLA's, Syracuse's, Louisville's, Cal's, Penn State's, South Carolina's, Marquette's, Pitt's, etc's of the world, are making good headway and making the NCAA more competitive.

Champ killerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nice killerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    The past 2+ years do not in any way resemble the true Techsters. That is why, last year or the year before, I advocated a change to wearing royal blue and changing the name to Lady Bulldogs.

Too late now. The "Techster" name and legend have been forever tarnished. So, now that I think about it, there is no need for such changes.
    They lost the Techsters name when Long took over. We should have been leery when Mulkey congratulated us on a "great hire"

And, thank you, Pat. You have done us and the Lady Vols a big favor by not scheduling us EVER AGAIN.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I will continue to have faith. I think there are some good points made above about Spoon and our ability to recruit. We are SHORT and we KNOW we are short. For those of you that did not watch the game yesterday, you may not realize just how good we played in the first half. Every UT player had like 2 inches on us, but we blocked out, rebounded, and stayed with them. The problem was that we didn't have the size inside to compete. Tenn. was able to draw fouls and get our best players out of the game just after half time. We kept fighting, but it was all uphill from there. We won't face another team like UT this season. We need to do what we can with the players we have. Next year, we have size coming in FINALLY. That will take the pressure off the guards having to do all the work.

There are a million excuses and there are several valid reasons we are where we are right now. For those of you that want to believe, there is hope. For those of you that don't, there is none. That is the simple matter of it.

Regardless of the score yesterday, for the last 3 years, we have NOT competed against the Vols. Yesterday, we did. We just couldn't do it for a full game. And, for those of you that think that Tenn. is in a down year, you are very mistaken. They will be a top 5 team. They are just young and inconsistent right now.

My goal for this year remains the same. WIN the WAC and WIN the WAC TOURNAMENT! Everything else right now is just preparing for that.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Well, I will continue to have faith. I think there are some good points made above about Spoon and our ability to recruit. We are SHORT and we KNOW we are short. For those of you that did not watch the game yesterday, you may not realize just how good we played in the first half. Every UT player had like 2 inches on us, but we blocked out, rebounded, and stayed with them. The problem was that we didn't have the size inside to compete. Tenn. was able to draw fouls and get our best players out of the game just after half time. We kept fighting, but it was all uphill from there. We won't face another team like UT this season. We need to do what we can with the players we have. Next year, we have size coming in FINALLY. That will take the pressure off the guards having to do all the work.

There are a million excuses and there are several valid reasons we are where we are right now. For those of you that want to believe, there is hope. For those of you that don't, there is none. That is the simple matter of it.

Regardless of the score yesterday, for the last 3 years, we have NOT competed against the Vols. Yesterday, we did. We just couldn't do it for a full game. And, for those of you that think that Tenn. is in a down year, you are very mistaken. They will be a top 5 team. They are just young and inconsistent right now.

My goal for this year remains the same. WIN the WAC and WIN the WAC TOURNAMENT! Everything else right now is just preparing for that.
    More conjecture. Tennessee has shown NOTHING to say they will be a "top 5 team" this season. And even if they DO become a top 5 team, they are NOT playing like one now. Regardless, you consistently miss the point in your analysis that you are comparing this year's game to the games of the past three seasons when we were playing against Parker and Co. THERE IS NO COMPARISON CHAMP. ATTEMPTS TO KEEP MAKING A COMPARISON ARE FUTILE.

Yes, we stayed with them through the first half. Big freaking deal. We stayed with them in the SECOND HALF of last season's game and a HUGE DEAL was made out of that on this board. One half does not win a game.

The next three games will be interesting to watch. Does this group come together and find a way to win? The Nicholls State game (which should be a HUGE blowout) won't tell us much, but the WKU game should tell us a little about this team. Although I am convinced that Long is the wrong person for the job, I will still cheer the Techsters AND complain as well. That's what fans do.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by fanfromafar View Post
    That's what fans do.
    That is not what ALL fans do.

Look, I don't care if you complain. It is not my place to say you can or cannot do anything. I CAN give my opinion, though - same as you.

I have faith that this team will improve as the season goes on and do what I was hoping it would do this year - win the WAC and win the WAC tournament. Yes, that is a lower standard that 6 years ago, but it is where we are right now. Next year, I will want more - until we get back to where we belong.

We are both fans. I just choose not to whine about every loss. I have to get up the next day and get on with things. I want the team to do the same thing. If you have to complain to make your life work, that is fine with me.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Look, I don't care if you complain. It is not my place to say you can or cannot do anything. I CAN give my opinion, though - same as you.

You back up what you say with LTAC donations. Still there are no members from Los Angeles.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

I have faith that this team will improve as the season goes on and do what I was hoping it would do this year - win the WAC and win the WAC tournament. Yes, that is a lower standard that 6 years ago, but it is where we are right now. Next year, I will want more - until we get back to where we belong.

We are both fans. I just choose not to whine about every loss. I have to get up the next day and get on with things. I want the team to do the same thing. If you have to complain to make your life work, that is fine with me.
    Yet again, the point has been missed. I accept responsibility for that. I NEVER said you cannot express your opinion. You jumped to the place you always jump to on this topic.

I simply pointed out the flawed logic of comparing this loss as somehow "better" than the losses of the past three seasons.

You say I'm "whining." Well, if you're going to throw around criticisms like that then be prepared to take them as well. I may "whine about every loss" while you "blindly cheer on a dead horse." You are right though, we're both fans. And finally, as far as my "complaining to make my life work," well, I'm as guilty of that as you are of not looking at life realistically.

And p.s. (not to Champ)....it's really nice to have learned how to ignore other posters. Cool Hand Clyde made (what I assume to be a comment about me) in the prior posting but fortunately I don't ever have to read his drivel again.

Quote Originally Posted by fanfromafar View Post
    Yet again, the point has been missed. I accept responsibility for that. I NEVER said you cannot express your opinion. You jumped to the place you always jump to on this topic.

I simply pointed out the flawed logic of comparing this loss as somehow "better" than the losses of the past three seasons.

You say I'm "whining." Well, if you're going to throw around criticisms like that then be prepared to take them as well. I may "whine about every loss" while you "blindly cheer on a dead horse." You are right though, we're both fans. And finally, as far as my "complaining to make my life work," well, I'm as guilty of that as you are of not looking at life realistically.

And p.s. (not to Champ)....it's really nice to have learned how to ignore other posters. Cool Hand Clyde made (what I assume to be a comment about me) in the prior posting but fortunately I don't ever have to read his drivel again.
    I see things much more clear than you would ever believe. I wouldn't be in the position I am in now, if I didn't. That comes with the job. It is all a choice on how you view things and sometimes one can view things realistically but choose to look at the positives.

As for the game, did you watch it or listen to it? There is no way you could not have seen the difference in our team from last year to this year, if you had watched it - no way.

Anyway, now we move forward. Hopefully, we demolish Nichols (they are catching us at a VERY bad time) and beat WKU (the real measuring stick for where we stand right now).

I see things much more clear than you would ever believe. I wouldn't be in the position I am in now, if I didn't. That comes with the job. It is all a choice on how you view things and sometimes one can view things realistically but choose to look at the positives.

As for the game, did you watch it or listen to it? There is no way you could not have seen the difference in our team from last year to this year, if you had watched it - no way.

Anyway, now we move forward. Hopefully, we demolish Nichols (they are catching us at a VERY bad time) and beat WKU (the real measuring stick for where we stand right now).
    I watched it. And yes, there is a way. I didn't see what you did. Plain and simple.

Finally, you missed the twist in the last phrase of my comment. I said I was "as guilty" of your assumptions of me as you were of not looking at things realistically. That meant I'm not guilty of what you say just like you're not guilty of looking at things unrealistically. I guess in your heat of the response, you missed what was being said. I'm not EVER referencing your work, job, etc. or how you live your life. I honestly don't care about those things. I'm talking about how you view the GAME. For you, those seem to be intertwined. For me, they are not. And now, like you said, I'm moving on.

Champ Russdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    You back up what you say with LTAC donations. Still there are no members from Los Angeles.
    OUTSTANDING POINT!!

It's one thing to criticize and hold accountable while doing what we can to support Tech athletics. It's quite another to be a congenital complainer. Like my preacher says, "Any dumb hound dog can bay at the moon and say 'I'm agin' it, I'm agin' it.' What we need around here are solutions." Joining LTAC ought to be the minimum.

I have no problems with those who say "Long is not the one" or that the team must dig out of a hole and prove themselves or that results are not acceptable. That shows passion for TECH and a desire to win: I hope we're all coming from that passion!! Sometimes it's really hard to tell.

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

WOW!! Don't know where to start w/THIS thread!!! First of all, Dawg80, these girls may not put up the results of our past Techster teams but they cared enough to come to Tech & try to "right the ship" so they ARE Lady Techsters ( at least in my book )!!!
    Wes - I agree with almost every one of previous posts but if the coach is, in your words, "only as good as the minimum of the talent surrounding him/her" then doesn't CL bear 90%+ of the responsibility of our current lineup since he's been the coach for 4 years?? Everyone's saying how much taller the UT players are but if CL only recruits midget guards then who's fault is that?? Granted, having Spoon onbaord now DOES give us some name recognition that we haven't had before & it's already paid off in the signing of at least two 6' 2" recuits ( might be another that I can't recall - I'm old ). Still, all the CL supporters of the past 3 years have been telling we naysayers to "wait 'til next year" when all the KB JUCO's will be out of the picture and/or the current ladies will have learned CL's system ( whatever the Hell that might be!! ).
    Guess we're just tired of waiting.
    FFA & Champ - NEVER thought I'd be trying to play peacemaker but I suppose that I'M also in the "whining" camp I donate to LTAC & buy my tickets so, IMHO, I DO have the right as a fan to complain about the product put before me on the court since it's not changed for the better ( in fact, it's gotten worse since CL took the reins ). I cheered loudly in the 2 games I've attended at the TAC & I'll boo just as loudly if they play like crap at the next game I'm at. There's a balance here for all of us & while FFA & myself may come across as eternal pessimists ( & with some truth to that!! ) Champ is the eternal optimist.
    I'm still holding out for a recovery to this lousy start & managing to be respectable for the WAC schedule. Right now, I AIN'T really hopeful!!

MG

+ Reply to Thread