+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Good ole Tulane Stadium

Champ louisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the rough

Re: Good ole Tulane Stadium

I think there is a plaque that shows where dempsey kicked that field goal on tulane's campus. I hear it is near their newer apartments next to the parking garage and rec center. Even though the stadium is gone, the facilities they have in place of it are really nice. The soccer field in the middle of all that is artificial turf, really nice.

Champ TechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant future

I was there for the first Saints game on my 14th birthday. If you want to get a feel of the steel stands, go to St. Charles Catholic in LaPlace. The home stands are a section moved from Tulane stadium. I don't know if any other pieces survive, but you can get some of that "stomp on steel" drumming it used to be known for.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechDAG View Post
    I was there for the first Saints game on my 14th birthday. If you want to get a feel of the steel stands, go to St. Charles Catholic in LaPlace. The home stands are a section moved from Tulane stadium. I don't know if any other pieces survive, but you can get some of that "stomp on steel" drumming it used to be known for.

I was at a game at SCC a couple of years ago.....their fans were proud to point out the stadium was part of the old tulane stadium.........was not sure if they were pulling my leg or not......

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    Did it ever host a Super Bowl?
    The final game ever at the stadium was Super Bowl IX in January 1975.

HD

Big Dog DogDawg is a jewel in the roughDogDawg is a jewel in the roughDogDawg is a jewel in the roughDogDawg is a jewel in the roughDogDawg is a jewel in the roughDogDawg is a jewel in the roughDogDawg is a jewel in the roughDogDawg is a jewel in the roughDogDawg is a jewel in the roughDogDawg is a jewel in the roughDogDawg is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by beefcakes View Post
    About 82,000. My 1st pro game, the Steelers at Saints. What was the name of that Steeler QB? :icon_wink:
    My only trip there was as a young (very young) kid to see Fran Tarkington and the 'purple people eaters' Vikes play the Saints. Midway into the game they replaced Ed Hargett (sp) with a rookie, Archie Manning, at QB. Saints still lost.....but man what a memory. DD
    Last edited by DogDawg; 11-24-2008 at 10:01 PM.

Champ BuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant future BuzDawg73's Avatar

I made one visit to Tulane stadium about 1970 during Mardi Gras. Had no place to stay and they were letting people sleep under the bleachers. Tulane students were handing out blankets. It reminded me of the leper cave in the movie Ben Hur. Will never forget how absolutely disgusting the restrooms were. But, a very fun memory of my Tech years.

Big Dog DogDawg is a jewel in the roughDogDawg is a jewel in the roughDogDawg is a jewel in the roughDogDawg is a jewel in the roughDogDawg is a jewel in the roughDogDawg is a jewel in the roughDogDawg is a jewel in the roughDogDawg is a jewel in the roughDogDawg is a jewel in the roughDogDawg is a jewel in the roughDogDawg is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by TechDAG View Post
    I recall the whole stands shaking when the fans were stomping on the metal stands at Tulane stadium. Very similar to the feeling I had at The Citadel at the 1-AA championship game in '84, although I think the adult refreshments may have made a difference in '84. DD

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by faninmonroe View Post
    wow - what a neat looking - packed stadium...........how did tulane go from 80,000 fans to a bottom feeder?
    Tulane left the SEC in 1966 to join the Metro Conference. They were following their former SEC and elite conference mate Ga.Tech which had left the SEC in 1964.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    The final game ever at the stadium was Super Bowl IX in January 1975.

HD
    Also 1970 (Chiefs/Vikings) and 1972 (Cowboys/Dolphins).

HD, you are quite a bit older than me :icon_wink:, so maybe you remember this. Wasn't the 1975 Superbowl scheduled to be played in the Superdome, but had to be played in Tulane Stadium because the Superdome hadn't been completed?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Tulane left the SEC in 1966 to join the Metro Conference. They were following their former SEC and elite conference mate Ga.Tech which had left the SEC in 1964.
    Tulane became an independent after leaving the SEC. They did not join the Metro Conf for many years later, and the Metro was NOT a football league, just hoops, baseball, etc. Tulane remained an Independent in FB until, well, CUSA, I guess.

Tulane left the SEC for academic reasons. As did Ga. Tech. Vanderbilt, which also had reasons to question the academic prowess of its fellow SEC institutions had enough sense to recognize who buttered their bread. GTU has made up for it by getting into a "major" conference again, but Tulane, woe! big mistake, big mistake.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Also 1970 (Chiefs/Vikings) and 1972 (Cowboys/Dolphins).

HD, you are quite a bit older than me :icon_wink:, so maybe you remember this. Wasn't the 1975 Superbowl scheduled to be played in the Superdome, but had to be played in Tulane Stadium because the Superdome hadn't been completed?
    You are correct -

It was originally scheduled to open for the 1974 season...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Varsity Bulldog Mad Italian is a jewel in the roughMad Italian is a jewel in the roughMad Italian is a jewel in the roughMad Italian is a jewel in the roughMad Italian is a jewel in the roughMad Italian is a jewel in the roughMad Italian is a jewel in the roughMad Italian is a jewel in the roughMad Italian is a jewel in the roughMad Italian is a jewel in the roughMad Italian is a jewel in the rough Mad Italian's Avatar

As a Tulane Alum I would urge all to take this lesson from the Tulane experience:

Never voluntarily step down in conference classification!

I was there on that ever glorious December 1st, let me tell you it was interesting to see. Before the game LSU alumni groups had produced coins celebrating 25th anniversary of no defeats by Tulane. By the end of the game it was hard to find an LSU fan in New Orleans.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting discussion. Just wondering what prompted it.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by detltu View Post
    Interesting discussion. Just wondering what prompted it.
    and why it's in the Tech football folder when it has nothing to do with Tech football. Shouldn't it be moved to general sports?

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    How bad must it suck to be a Tulane alumnus? Most schools are trying to get to where they were 60 years ago.
    I am a Tulane alumnus, but a Tech alumnus first and foremost. I don't regret being a Tulane alumnus - at least I didn't go to law school at LSU.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

+ Reply to Thread