+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Good ole Tulane Stadium

Champ parisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond repute parisdog's Avatar

Re: Good ole Tulane Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Tulane became an independent after leaving the SEC. They did not join the Metro Conf for many years later, and the Metro was NOT a football league, just hoops, baseball, etc. Tulane remained an Independent in FB until, well, CUSA, I guess.

Tulane left the SEC for academic reasons. As did Ga. Tech. Vanderbilt, which also had reasons to question the academic prowess of its fellow SEC institutions had enough sense to recognize who buttered their bread. GTU has made up for it by getting into a "major" conference again, but Tulane, woe! big mistake, big mistake.
    So Tulane and GaTech left the SEC because they thought their academics were suffering from being in the conference? Wow, what a mistake! I wonder if Tulane had never voluntarily left the SEC, if they would still be in it. I guess Vandy had better sense to stay in the conference.

Champ DQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to behold

Tulane became an independent after leaving the SEC. They did not join the Metro Conf for many years later, and the Metro was NOT a football league, just hoops, baseball, etc. Tulane remained an Independent in FB until, well, CUSA, I guess.

Tulane left the SEC for academic reasons. As did Ga. Tech. Vanderbilt, which also had reasons to question the academic prowess of its fellow SEC institutions had enough sense to recognize who buttered their bread. GTU has made up for it by getting into a "major" conference again, but Tulane, woe! big mistake, big mistake.
    In the "old days", Tulane didn't have academic programs that most schools have to help student athletes that are prone to grade problems. We started in 1960 with 55 freshmen on the freshman team (no varsity play for freshmen in those days), and by the end of our sophomore year, we were down to 22.

Still a stupid, stupid move to leave the SEC. Look at what Vandy has done with their program. The Greenies just had (and still have) a serious commitment problem when it comes to athletics. And a "second" 62 - 0 in 1962 at the hands of the LlllSSSPoo crowd didn't help. Leadership just wanted out.

Thus, that's when La Tech stepped into my life. What a great change!!

IMHO

Champ DQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Italian View Post
    As a Tulane Alum I would urge all to take this lesson from the Tulane experience:

Never voluntarily step down in conference classification!

I was there on that ever glorious December 1st, let me tell you it was interesting to see. Before the game LSU alumni groups had produced coins celebrating 25th anniversary of no defeats by Tulane. By the end of the game it was hard to find an LSU fan in New Orleans.

I attended that one too with a lot of guys that were there in the early 60's. We didn't draw a sober breath for about 3 or 4 days.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Somebody please tell me why we have a thread in the football section about Tulane. This whole thread should be deleted just like my post was deleted yesterday. I've never been to Tulane or their old stadium and have no urge to go.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Yeah, my bad. The Metro wasn't formed until 1975. Ga.Tech only stayed in for three years and then joined the ACC. Looking back there were some very strong independents in those days, so being a football independent wasn't that bad until the late 70s/early 80s.

Our own AD ( Paul Miller) was instrumental in forming CUSA back then. The Metro merged with CUSA. Oh well. Miller was fired, Stovall was hired, and he thought the Big West would be the bomb instead of CUSA. We know how that one turned out.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Yeah, my bad. The Metro wasn't formed until 1975. Ga.Tech only stayed in for three years and then joined the ACC. Looking back there were some very strong independents in those days, so being a football independent wasn't that bad until the late 70s/early 80s.

Our own AD ( Paul Miller) was instrumental in forming CUSA back then. The Metro merged with CUSA. Oh well. Miller was fired, Stovall was hired, and he thought the Big West would be the bomb instead of CUSA. We know how that one turned out.
    How could or why would Miller help form CUSA when he was at Tech and we could not get in it? Miller was nothing but a smartass that thought he was too good for Tech. Is this the same Miller that took our football games off 107.5 and put them on KPCH, a station that you couldn't hear outside of the Ruston city limits?

Quote Originally Posted by DONW View Post
    Somebody please tell me why we have a thread in the football section about Tulane. This whole thread should be deleted just like my post was deleted yesterday. I've never been to Tulane or their old stadium and have no urge to go.

DW, you're right about this one. We all need to get Win #8. Us old farts are just getting sentimental. BUT you can't go to their old stadium, it's GONE.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

How could or why would Miller help form CUSA when he was at Tech and we could not get in it? Miller was nothing but a smartass that thought he was too good for Tech. Is this the same Miller that took our football games off 107.5 and put them on KPCH, a station that you couldn't hear outside of the Ruston city limits?
    I figured I'd get a rise out of you when I posted something about Miller.

Several stories are told about the CUSA deal back in the day, but the most consistent is that Miller ruffled the wrong feathers in Ruston and obviously some in Arkansas too.:icon_wink: The radio deal upset many folks (including me) because many of the stations in the "network" would place lsu over a Tech game. I remember the Tallulah station actually cutting away from a Tech game in progress one time.

Anyway, as the story goes, the CUSA deal was almost done when Stovall was hired. Stovall didn't see the benefit of CUSA and pushed hard for the Big West deal. There is one particular poster on this board who worked at Tech during that time period who has confirmed this story. There are probably others. If he wants to chime it he can.

I figured I'd get a rise out of you when I posted something about Miller.

Several stories are told about the CUSA deal back in the day, but the most consistent is that Miller ruffled the wrong feathers in Ruston and obviously some in Arkansas too.:icon_wink: The radio deal upset many folks (including me) because many of the stations in the "network" would place lsu over a Tech game. I remember the Tallulah station actually cutting away from a Tech game in progress one time.

Anyway, as the story goes, the CUSA deal was almost done when Stovall was hired. Stovall didn't see the benefit of CUSA and pushed hard for the Big West deal. There is one particular poster on this board who worked at Tech during that time period who has confirmed this story. There are probably others. If he wants to chime it he can.
    I heard Ed at one of the BB&B tailgates one time telling about a guy up in Arkansas calling him and was pissed off about the games being taken off 107.5. Ed went on to tell about this guy would sit in his van on top of one of the mountains in Ark. and listen to the Tech games. That crazy La Tech Fanatic was me. I also called Miller and he wouldn't even talk to me about it. One of the biggest ASSHOLES I ever met in my life. So, the CUSA story does not make sense unless he was doing it for another school where he thought he might get another job. Him downgrading Tech's football broadcast also didn't make sense and this is a known fact.

Yes the move away from KXKZ was a big blunder, but he tried to sell the Tech games several small stations around the state. I have no idea what the stations were except for KPCH and the one in Tallulah that I was able to pick up.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Yes the move away from KXKZ was a big blunder, but he tried to sell the Tech games several small stations around the state. I have no idea what the stations were except for KPCH and the one in Tallulah that I was able to pick up.
    At that time we had 15 stations state wide instead of 1 station that could only cover NCLA -

Alot of folks thought it was a very wise move...

I still say if Miller was left alone we would be in CUSA right now -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    At that time we had 15 stations state wide instead of 1 station that could only cover NCLA -

Alot of folks thought it was a very wise move...

I still say if Miller was left alone we would be in CUSA right now -
    Dwayne, If Miller had been left alone, there would only be 3 people in our stadium watching a game. Miller in the middle and you and Monty on each side. He would have pissed everybody else off and they would have left. I will never forget what he said about the radio deal. He said we had gone "BIG TIME" and we needed the "EXTRA" money for our program and he said it real sarcastically and I thought "HOW IN THE HELL DID THIS GUY GET TO BE OUR AD"? By the way, Conway is 165 miles north of the La. state line and I could pick up 107.5. You just had to get in the right place. I can also pick it up at my trailer on the north side of Lake Ouachita.

http://www.stadiumsofnfl.com/past/tulanemain.jpg

Gawd! what memories. Went to Tulane games on Saturdays and Saints games on Sunday, and to the Sugar Bowl too! (never missed a Sugar Bowl there from 1967-1974). Dome opened in '75.
    I think I have an aerial view of the old Tech stadium. I'll see if I can scan it tonight and start a thread on it tomorrow. There were some pretty good football players that played there. Probably not many of you youngsters ever sat in it and saw the Dogs play. Last season was 1967.

I think I have an aerial view of the old Tech stadium. I'll see if I can scan it tonight and start a thread on it tomorrow. There were some pretty good football players that played there. Probably not many of you youngsters ever sat in it and saw the Dogs play. Last season was 1967.
    You mean the field where AE Phillips school is now?? You could spit from the stands and hit the field!! I was John Pennel come to a track meet at Tech, and he was pole vaulting so high, the crossbar had to be raised higher using coke boxes under the support poles. Dr. Jay T. was so upset that he had the track remodeled before the old Gulf States Conf. track meet in Ruston. "14" ought to come in for a comment on this one.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

I heard Ed at one of the BB&B tailgates one time telling about a guy up in Arkansas calling him and was pissed off about the games being taken off 107.5. Ed went on to tell about this guy would sit in his van on top of one of the mountains in Ark. and listen to the Tech games. That crazy La Tech Fanatic was me.
    That was me, too, on the listening part at least.
    When I'd go home to HS and Tech was out of town, I'd go up on West Mountain and listen to the broadcast. Then, for awhile we were on WWL-AM and I'd listen to it there, too.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

+ Reply to Thread