+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greg Maddux to Retire on Monday

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Greg Maddux to Retire on Monday

Greatness.

Best control and movement I have ever seen. I saw on ESPN that one year he had 19 wins and only 20 walks, .......THE WHOLE YEAR!! Could place the ball EXACTLY where he wanted to. His fastball had the movement of other pitchers sliders. Threw a lot harder earlier in his career than many give him credit for hitting 93-94 on the gun on a regular basis. My favorite pitcher of the last 20 years.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: Greg Maddux to Retire on Monday

So long Professor...it's been fun.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

We will miss you Maddux.

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar

Nothing but class, on and off the field. My favorite pitcher of the last 20 years too.
    Go Tech!

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

My favorite pitcher of all time and the man single-handedly responsible for doing away with live on-the-field microphone during the playoffs.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

I may be wrong -

But I think we will NEVER see a pitcher have a run again like he had in the late 80's and 90's -

The question now is Braves hat or CUBS hat in the HOF ...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ TulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to behold TulsaPup's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    I may be wrong -

But I think we will NEVER see a pitcher have a run again like he had in the late 80's and 90's -

The question now is Braves hat or CUBS hat in the HOF ...
    Has to be a Braves hat;

Braves: 11 years, 194-88 record, 2.63 era, 61 Complete games, 21 Shutouts, 10 division titles, 3 NL pennants, 1 World Series Championship, 3 Cy Youngs.

Cubs: 8 years, 133-112 record, 3.61 era, 47 complete games, 14 shutouts, 1 playoff appearance, 1 Cy Young.

Besides the numbers, Maddux played the majority of his career in Atlanta and will always be remembered for making up 1/3 of one of the best rotations of all-time.

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    or CUBS hat in the HOF ...
    Ha ha - in your dreams.
    Go Tech!

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

My heart would want him in a Braves hat, but he did two different stints with the Cubbies including the start of his career. Which one got him a World Series ring, though?

Varsity Bulldog ProfStudent158 seems to have something between the earsProfStudent158 seems to have something between the earsProfStudent158 seems to have something between the earsProfStudent158 seems to have something between the earsProfStudent158 seems to have something between the earsProfStudent158 seems to have something between the earsProfStudent158 seems to have something between the earsProfStudent158 seems to have something between the ears

Definitely going to miss seeing the Professor take the mound this year. There had been speculation a few weeks back that he, Glavine, and Smoltz may all retire at the same time, making them eligible for HOF induction on the same ballot. While that would have been cool, I'm glad Smoltz is in for another year.

Thanks Greg!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Definitely a great pitcher! Fielded his position well too. Could hit sometimes too!

I was (still am, I guess) a big Braves' fan during that 90's run. Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz....tremendous pitching staff. Pitching and defense wins in baseball.

When I was working for that scouting company years ago, I was at a high school baseball tourney and was sitting with a Yankees' scout, discussing the players, etc.. a reporter came into the press box and casually asked the Yank scout "why are you here today?" The scout replied: "I'm looking for the next Greg Maddux."

That speaks volumes about the respect GM has earned in his career. Nough said.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

I would take Bob Gibson over Maddux any day.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    I would take Bob Gibson over Maddux any day.
    Gee wiz! Let's talk Nolan Ryan, Sandy Koufax, etc...all the Hall of Fame greats from eons gone by. How about this, I'll take Gibson, Maddux, Jim Palmer, and Nolan Ryan as my starting rotation. Just off the top of my head....

Yo! Maddux is the one who just announced his retirement and it is fitting and proper to talk about him, not Gibson or any other great pitcher from the past. Sheeesh!

Big Dog TechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her game TechSupporter11's Avatar

My favorite pitcher of all time and a huge role-model for me when I was playing baseball in my teens...in fact the only piece of baseball memorabilia I have left is my 1995 world series baseball signed by Greg Maddux...and will never let it go...

Champ TulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to behold TulsaPup's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Definitely a great pitcher! Fielded his position well too. Could hit sometimes too!

I was (still am, I guess) a big Braves' fan during that 90's run. Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz....tremendous pitching staff. Pitching and defense wins in baseball.

When I was working for that scouting company years ago, I was at a high school baseball tourney and was sitting with a Yankees' scout, discussing the players, etc.. a reporter came into the press box and casually asked the Yank scout "why are you here today?" The scout replied: "I'm looking for the next Greg Maddux."

That speaks volumes about the respect GM has earned in his career. Nough said.
    Yeah he could hit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLECMCargd8

+ Reply to Thread