+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Greg Maddux to Retire on Monday

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar

Re: Greg Maddux to Retire on Monday

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    I would take Bob Gibson over Maddux any day.
    I was a Cards and Gibson fan too, but Gibson had the advantage of playing in a day when you could brush back a hitter (or outright throw at his head). And he did it. And I loved it.:icon_wink:
    Go Tech!

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

I'll take Walter Johnson over Bob Gibson. What's the point?

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDawg View Post
    I'll take Walter Johnson over Bob Gibson. What's the point?

You tell me - How many people on BB&B give a damn what MAddux does?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I do! I give a damn!

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I do! I give a damn!

Bob Gibson was probably better than Walter Johnson too.

And anybody can pitch when your strike zone is bigger than everyone elses.

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaDawg View Post
    I was a Cards and Gibson fan too, but Gibson had the advantage of playing in a day when you could brush back a hitter (or outright throw at his head). And he did it. And I loved it.:icon_wink:
    Yea, too many wussies playing today.

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

About 3x as many that give a damn about Bob Gibson.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Me.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Definitely a great pitcher! Fielded his position well too. Could hit sometimes too!

I was (still am, I guess) a big Braves' fan during that 90's run. Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz....tremendous pitching staff. Pitching and defense wins in baseball.

When I was working for that scouting company years ago, I was at a high school baseball tourney and was sitting with a Yankees' scout, discussing the players, etc.. a reporter came into the press box and casually asked the Yank scout "why are you here today?" The scout replied: "I'm looking for the next Greg Maddux."

That speaks volumes about the respect GM has earned in his career. Nough said.
    That's right D80. I forgot to mention that in my intial post. I think he has multiple Gold Gloves as well.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Definitely a great pitcher! Fielded his position well too. Could hit sometimes too!

I was (still am, I guess) a big Braves' fan during that 90's run. Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz....tremendous pitching staff. Pitching and defense wins in baseball.

When I was working for that scouting company years ago, I was at a high school baseball tourney and was sitting with a Yankees' scout, discussing the players, etc.. a reporter came into the press box and casually asked the Yank scout "why are you here today?" The scout replied: "I'm looking for the next Greg Maddux."

That speaks volumes about the respect GM has earned in his career. Nough said.
    You should have seen the guy take BP. Watched him one time at Minute Maid, he hit 4 bombs in a row.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Wow, we have some sour grapes on here or what? Did Maddux still one of your girlfriends?

Champ TulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to behold TulsaPup's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    That's right D80. I forgot to mention that in my intial post. I think he has multiple Gold Gloves as well.
    I'd say. He won 18 gold gloves, most all-time.

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar

I will admit Maddux (and some others) got the outside strike. However, they did not get the upper part of the strike zone, so I think it evens out. Also, some batters get a smaller strike zone than others.
    Go Tech!

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaDawg View Post
    I will admit Maddux (and some others) got the outside strike. However, they did not get the upper part of the strike zone, so I think it evens out. Also, some batters get a smaller strike zone than others.

They also didnt pitch off of a mountain like Gibson and crew did, and Gibson and crew didnt have to deal with the roidhead, ball juicing, home run orgy era.

I really wasn't comparing Maddux to Gibson. I liked em both. Just saying that Maddux did get the outside of the plate, but not the high strike. Yeah, Maddux did have to contend with facing a bunch of players on steroids and a league that condoned it for the sake of the HR.
    Go Tech!

+ Reply to Thread