+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: THIS Season!!

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

THIS Season!!

Gang - OK, we've ( including/especially ME!! ) done enough bitching about how poorly this season has gone so far. As tough as it is for me to say, let's even keep the "fire CL" cries until after this season ( then I'LL lead them!! :icon_wink: ).
    We all know how pitiful the WAC is so there does exist a chance to semi-salvage this season by winning that weak-azz conference. The problem is - HOW DO WE CORRECT THINGS NOW???
    Again, I'm looking for some positive suggestions to think about. I know I'm gonna get the "fire CL/DD/DR" suggestions but I'm not certain that a change of coaching in mid-season is the answer. However, I'm open to listen to that & any other ideas.
    The only one I have is to hire a sports psychologist to work with whatever mental block our "shooters" have. Our low budget will probably eliminate that option but it's out there.
    Next????

BTW - ya'll can keep bitching ( I know I will! ) but just restrict it to the other threads that are open right now.

Gene
    Last edited by Mean Gene; 12-17-2008 at 07:58 AM.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: THIS Season!!

I hope that having UALR is a good thing for us coming up. They are a tough team, but we have them at the TAC. Our players need a confidence boost right now. They all know that there are 3 games this season that they should have won, but didn't. Getting beat by lsu really hurts emotionally for many of them.

IF they can get their emotions in check again and come out fighting mad at the same time, we can take this one.

I am as tired of "turning point" games as anyone right now, but maybe THIS one was it.

I know that if they can beat UALR, it will show them just how good they can be.

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Question Re: THIS Season!!

Champ - So what makes this a turning point game to indicate to us how "good we can be"? Other than Okie State, UALR hasn't really played anyone. They ( like us ) beat SHS by about the same amount but while we blew Grambling out they squeaked out a W by 1 point. Then they've played Rice, SAU & USM ( hardly powers ). No, I'd certainly not like to compare ourselves to Tennessee but maybe WKU? THAT'S one we definitely should have taken!!!
    It would be a chance to get back some of the momentum we lost after last night's game. A win against UALR could set us up for a decent showing in the Virginia tourney. One game at a time, I guess.
    When we getting Wysinger back?

MG

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post
    Champ - So what makes this a turning point game to indicate to us how "good we can be"? Other than Okie State, UALR hasn't really played anyone. They ( like us ) beat SHS by about the same amount but while we blew Grambling out they squeaked out a W by 1 point. Then they've played Rice, SAU & USM ( hardly powers ). No, I'd certainly not like to compare ourselves to Tennessee but maybe WKU? THAT'S one we definitely should have taken!!!
    It would be a chance to get back some of the momentum we lost after last night's game. A win against UALR could set us up for a decent showing in the Virginia tourney. One game at a time, I guess.
    When we getting Wysinger back?

MG
    Beating a team with a winning record could give them some confidence. However, like I stated, I am tired of thinking of every game as a "turning point". We need to TURN, DANG IT! UALR is going to be tough - no tougher than lsu, though. We have to hit our shots - it is that simple right now.

We have energy, we have defense, we have intensity, and the ability to fight back when down. We just can't hit the shots - hot or cold - no in between.

Wysinger should be back by the first conference game. She should be able to play, anyway. I have never seen anyone come back full speed, though. It is going to take her some time to get in the rythm and able to make her moves.

Question Re: THIS Season!!

OK, but if the team we manage to beat has a winning record because they defeated a bunch of patsies, is that really a good indicator of where WE are?
    Regardless, I have seen much of what U mentioned in your reply, Champ. There's effort, ebergy & intensity plus I actually enjoyed seeing the girls fight their way back ( almost ) into the LSU game by using a swarming defense & boxing out better for rebounds. Now why CL & Spoon can't seem to get these girls to execute those most basic of techniques from the opening tip, I have NO idea!
    The answer to our shooting woes might take Dr. Phil ( or maybe just OUR Phil(garris) )!!

MG

OK, but if the team we manage to beat has a winning record because they defeated a bunch of patsies, is that really a good indicator of where WE are?
    Regardless, I have seen much of what U mentioned in your reply, Champ. There's effort, ebergy & intensity plus I actually enjoyed seeing the girls fight their way back ( almost ) into the LSU game by using a swarming defense & boxing out better for rebounds. Now why CL & Spoon can't seem to get these girls to execute those most basic of techniques from the opening tip, I have NO idea!
    The answer to our shooting woes might take Dr. Phil ( or maybe just OUR Phil(garris) )!!

MG
    Now are you really going to state that Budke's top 20 team was a patsy? :icon_wink:

Anyway, I have noticed a marked difference in our shooting in the TAC vs. on the road (which also shows in our w/l record). Maybe it is road jitters. lsu may have had the right idea with their young team by having all home games to start out with before conference.

FG% Home games:

Away games

The only home game where we matched an away game low was against WKU, which is the only home game that we have lost.

Big Grin No Spin!!

OK, Champ - the gloves are off now!!! :icon_wink: Go back 2 posts of mine & I said that "Other than Okie State, UALR hasn't really played anyone" Yep, I saw your wink ( hope ya see mine!! ).
    Went back over our shooting stats & they are spot on ( except for the WKU game @ the TAC where we didn't shoot well ) so perhaps LSU is onto something with the home games & their young lineup. Could be a lesson in there for our future scheduling.
    Another interesting thing I noticed was that our players ( with the exception of Whitney ) took more shots at home than on the road so there's gotta be a comfort correlation there.
    Last edited by Mean Gene; 12-17-2008 at 02:37 PM. Reason: add comment

Re: No Spin!!

OK, Champ - the gloves are off now!!! :icon_wink: Go back 2 posts of mine & I said that "Other than Okie State, UALR hasn't really played anyone" Yep, I saw your wink ( hope ya see mine!! ).
    Went back over our shooting stats & they are spot on ( except for the WKU game @ the TAC where we didn't shoot well ) so perhaps LSU is onto something with the home games & their young lineup. Could be a lesson in there for our future scheduling.
    Another interesting thing I noticed was that our players ( with the exception of Whitney ) took more shots at home than on the road so there's gotta be a comfort correlation there.
    I see your wink and raise you one.

Yeah, the number of shots taken does show that we are road shy. There are things that can ease that some. One is to leave a day earlier and have practice the day before at their place. Also, the Techsters could take a note out of Dooley's book and do the hotel stays before home games, as well. Makes things more consistent.

In any case, these girls have got to learn not to be shy to shoot the ball. On the road, it seems like they wait on Whitney and Dowdell to carry them.

Re: No Spin!!

The WAC road games worry me because of the above. We start out at Nevada, which will be no pushover on their home court. We REALLY need to start out with a win.

Champ tigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant future tigtoo30's Avatar

Well, in order for this team to beat UALR, one thing will have to happen....I will need to be there in person! If the Lord's willing, I'll be there for the double header. Last time I was at a Techster game was the Iowa game a couple of years ago to see us come from 18 behind and win in OT. Then I watched Paul dismantle Tugaloo.

Can't wait to see the Techsters and Dawgs in person.

MG, you're rubbing off on me.:icon_wink:

PS - if I'm not posting scores Monday, I'm at the game!

Quote Originally Posted by tigtoo30 View Post
    Well, in order for this team to beat UALR, one thing will have to happen....I will need to be there in person! If the Lord's willing, I'll be there for the double header. Last time I was at a Techster game was the Iowa game a couple of years ago to see us come from 18 behind and win in OT. Then I watched Paul dismantle Tugaloo.

Man, I remember that Iowa game. I was in Ruston and driving back home to Texas. I got to Shreveport and we were making a comeback. I knew I was going to lose the radio signal soon, so I sat in the parking lot of Pier Bossier Mall for about an hour yelling my head off. Thank goodness someone was in the car with me or, I think, the police would have picked me up. One of the most exciting comebacks in Techster history - not the most important, but the most exciting. ARAYYYYYY

Big Grin Re: THIS Season!!

Quote Originally Posted by tigtoo30 View Post

Tig - U better hope NOT!!! :icon_wink: Gonna take a LOT more emoticons to reach my "elite" level!!!
    The Techsters are 1-1 in games I attended. We beat UCA but lost that heart-breaker w/WKU & I was at both games. Does watching the LSU game on TV count against me??? :icon_wink:
    U can do what I did at the WKU game & use a laptop to post scores!!! I'll be working so don't look for much outta me that night.

MG

Big Dog BullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the rough BullPupN'46's Avatar

MG Why don't you submit your resume and apply for the postion?????

Champ tigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant future tigtoo30's Avatar

Tig - U better hope NOT!!! :icon_wink: Gonna take a LOT more emoticons to reach my "elite" level!!!
    The Techsters are 1-1 in games I attended. We beat UCA but lost that heart-breaker w/WKU & I was at both games. Does watching the LSU game on TV count against me??? :icon_wink:
    U can do what I did at the WKU game & use a laptop to post scores!!! I'll be working so don't look for much outta me that night.

MG
    No laptop here...but you'll hear me yelling... Last game I was horse for 3 days....

Voice is all I have left, well and grey hairs (still I'm told I look young for my age)

And Champ I yell so hard, the "blue hairs" gave me dirty looks.

But we made it through, and got the W. Even got to shoot the half time shots (didn't win though, my FT's were REALLY bad...

Tugaloo...well that was an easy one,but TCU I'm really looking forward to.

+ Reply to Thread