+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UTSA to add Football

Big Dog Dawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to behold Dawgbert's Avatar

UTSA to add Football

This will be an up and comer in a few years. I know it is a commuter college but the enrollment is 23k plus. And they will play home games in the Alamo Dome.

RSS | EMAIL | PRINT | SAVE
    By John Whisler and and Jerry Briggs - Express-News

AUSTIN — The University of Texas System Board of Regents today approved UTSA's plan to add a football program.
    The plan calls for UTSA to develop an $84 million athletic complex, to add a Football Championship Subdivision football program and to advance all sports teams to a Football Bowl Subdivision conference.
    Under the plan, UTSA could hire a football coach or a program administrator by February.
    UTSA would sign its first class of recruits in 2010, would sign another class in 2011 and then would kick off as an FCS team at the Alamodome in the fall of that year.
    The school will need to raise $15 million in a capital campaign for the football program.
    Another $62 million is needed to complete the athletic complex.
    UTSA president Ricardo Romo said in a statement that he is mindful of the challenges facing the school in fundraising.
    "I have carefully thought about the resources needed to achieve our goals,'' Romo said. "But we see these endeavors as achievable and complementary efforts and as part of a multi-phase long term program that will allow the university to realize its full potential.''
    The athletics initiative at UTSA directly supports the university's academic mission as outlined in its strategic plan, A Shared Vision 2016, according to a university news release.
    UTSA will fund the initiative through student fees, corporate and private support and other revenue streams that do not draw from the institutional academic budget.
    In September 2007, UTSA students overwhelmingly supported a referendum to expand the athletics program and double the athletic fee over the next five to seven years.
    Currently, UTSA sports teams play in the Southland Conference. The Southland is affiliated with the FCS, formerly Division I-AA.
    Eventually, after several years, UTSA hopes to join a conference in the FBS, formerly Division I-A.
    The Big 12, with Texas and Texas A&M, plays in the FBS. But UTSA isn't in talking about taking its teams to that level. Instead, Conference USA, the Sun Belt and the Western Athletic Conference are being mentioned as potential destinations.
    Texas-based teams in Conference USA include Rice, SMU, Houston and Texas-El Paso.
    The university's intent behind adding football is to engage current students at new levels by providing an enhanced and more complete university experience, according to the news release.
    UTSA also hopes to draw former students and the San Antonio community closer to the university and its continued development towards national research university status.
    Approximately 80 percent of the university's 76,000 alumni continue to live in the immediate area.

Champ Designated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the rough

Re: UTSA to add Football

In a good market and metropolitan area. No big time college there now. Something to keep an eye on.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

No big time colleges but almost as many colleges in San Antonio as in the state of La. and another school starting up football a year before they do. That will make three college football teams near San Antonio competing for players not to mention UT only 90 miles away, A&M a few miles further, Texas State about 60 miles away, then Houston and Rice 4 hours away. Alamo dome is great. It will help pay the bills for the stadium the Henry Cisneros built hopping they would come but didn't. UTSA will no doubt have to pay the city of SA for use of that stadium and if ticket sales aren't good, then it may not be as slam dunk as some people might think for advancement to the high levels of college football. I think that UTSA will find the going a bit rougher than many posting on other message boards are wishfully thinking. I don't think they will be ready for the next big shift in conference realignment. In that case, if they don't, then it might be a nice pickup as a travel partner (about an 8 hour drive which is kind of long for a travel partner) for Tech in the WAC if we are still there. If that is the case, then I will only have to drive a few minutes to see the DAWGS play.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Varsity Bulldog brody191 is on top of his/her gamebrody191 is on top of his/her gamebrody191 is on top of his/her gamebrody191 is on top of his/her gamebrody191 is on top of his/her gamebrody191 is on top of his/her gamebrody191 is on top of his/her gamebrody191 is on top of his/her gamebrody191 is on top of his/her gamebrody191 is on top of his/her gamebrody191 is on top of his/her game

i for one am kinda looking forward to it, since i only make it too 1-2 games a year. UIW which is a smaller private school is starting one up for next fall, Trinity has a great D3 team that is always ranked nationally but to tell you the truth I don't know how well the city follows them.

San Antonio is a lot like Shreveport, no major school located locally and everyone here is either a UT or ATM fan. UTSA is kinda like UNT with a lot of commuter students but they have a hell of a campus with all the trimmings that any student would want.

It will be an uphill struggle for them but they need to make their footprint in this town. ATM is coming in and building a campus here. I am not sure if they going to be adding any sports though.

All the radio stations are saying that UTSA needs to hire an impact coach who will draw the headlines. I hate to say it but I would put money on it that CUSA would take them over TECH just for the same reason they took UTEP, b/c its easy to get in and out of unlike ruston

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Driving home I saw a billboard indicating that Georgia State University in Atlanta is adding football, too. We better get our skeet together soon or these metro schools are gonna sneak up behind us and kick sand in our face. Also need to lock down the Shreveport market ASAP.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brody191 View Post

I hate to say it but I would put money on it that CUSA would take them over TECH just for the same reason they took UTEP, b/c its easy to get in and out of unlike ruston

Then don't say it.

This is one I don't think I've heard yet. "It is easy to get in and out of". It takes approximately 30 minutes to get from MLU to Tech's campus. How long does it take to get from DFW to SMU? Houston airport to Rice or Houston?

We didn't have our ducks in a row for CUSA when they selected UTEP. That is the reason...not the lack of airport, not attendance, not market, not tradition. Our administration thought we deserved it and we had crime scene tape across our track bleachers during the grand tour.

Varsity Bulldog NO2001 is just really niceNO2001 is just really niceNO2001 is just really niceNO2001 is just really niceNO2001 is just really niceNO2001 is just really niceNO2001 is just really niceNO2001 is just really niceNO2001 is just really niceNO2001 is just really niceNO2001 is just really nice

They could be the next South Florida.

Big Dog Dawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to behold Dawgbert's Avatar

Speaking of San Antonio colleges, here is the clip of Trinity University's 15 lateral play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYqGhKl4cxs

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NO2001 View Post
    They could be the next South Florida.

they could/would be next in line for cusa.

wac better jump on them.

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

Yea yea yea. I'm so sick of the "next big thing" threads on this board. Once a month we get another one of these posts and it is a different school every time. Two months ago it was Western Kentucky, then people started freaking out over ULL, now it is UTSA.

Let me save everybody some suspense. There will be a school that rises up that nobody sees coming. All Tech can do is handle its own business and things will work out. If they don't, there is still no need for these "watch out!" threads that we get every month.

Who will it be next month? Wait and see...

Varsity Bulldog brody191 is on top of his/her gamebrody191 is on top of his/her gamebrody191 is on top of his/her gamebrody191 is on top of his/her gamebrody191 is on top of his/her gamebrody191 is on top of his/her gamebrody191 is on top of his/her gamebrody191 is on top of his/her gamebrody191 is on top of his/her gamebrody191 is on top of his/her gamebrody191 is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Then don't say it.

This is one I don't think I've heard yet. "It is easy to get in and out of". It takes approximately 30 minutes to get from MLU to Tech's campus. How long does it take to get from DFW to SMU? Houston airport to Rice or Houston?

We didn't have our ducks in a row for CUSA when they selected UTEP. That is the reason...not the lack of airport, not attendance, not market, not tradition. Our administration thought we deserved it and we had crime scene tape across our track bleachers during the grand tour.
    I agree that we didn't have our ducks in a row for CUSA when that came up but to answer your question. DFW is 40 miles from SMU, but Love field is 5 minutes from the SMU campus. You have to look aside from football who flies charter planes and look at the 12-15 other sports who travel 100 fold over what the football team does in a year. I promise you for what it costs the football team to charter a plane for one game the mens basketball team can fly every player to every game for at least 5+ years. In the world of air travel Shreveport and Monroe are not economical cities to fly into. They cost more and you have to connect in dallas or some other city to get into them. Majority of the C-USA schools have an airport in their city or one within a reasonable distance that a discount carrier like South west flies into.

Take a look at C-USA
    ECU - 80 miles
    UH - minutes from hobby
    Rice - minutes from hobby
    Memphis - unknown
    SMU- minutes from airport
    Tulsa - minutes to airport
    UAB - minutes to the airport
    Tulane - minutes to the airport
    UTEP - Minutes to the airport

basically what i am saying Tech does not provide and economical travel outlet. now i do agree if we were in c-usa the majority of the schools are within driving distance. but thats my two cents.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

I agree that we didn't have our ducks in a row for CUSA when that came up but to answer your question. DFW is 40 miles from SMU, but Love field is 5 minutes from the SMU campus. You have to look aside from football who flies charter planes and look at the 12-15 other sports who travel 100 fold over what the football team does in a year. I promise you for what it costs the football team to charter a plane for one game the mens basketball team can fly every player to every game for at least 5+ years. In the world of air travel Shreveport and Monroe are not economical cities to fly into. They cost more and you have to connect in dallas or some other city to get into them. Majority of the C-USA schools have an airport in their city or one within a reasonable distance that a discount carrier like South west flies into.

Take a look at C-USA
    ECU - 80 miles
    UH - minutes from hobby
    Rice - minutes from hobby
    Memphis - unknown
    SMU- minutes from airport
    Tulsa - minutes to airport
    UAB - minutes to the airport
    Tulane - minutes to the airport
    UTEP - Minutes to the airport

basically what i am saying Tech does not provide and economical travel outlet. now i do agree if we were in c-usa the majority of the schools are within driving distance. but thats my two cents.
    Using this argument, LSU wouldn't be in the CUSA because I have been through Baton Rouge Airport and it is smaller than Shreveport Airport with LESS options in air flight.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Memphis - unknown
    Less than 15 minutes, not including traffic.

Champ NathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond repute NathanDarby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post
    Using this argument, LSU wouldn't be in the CUSA because I have been through Baton Rouge Airport and it is smaller than Shreveport Airport with LESS options in air flight.
    Neither would USM.

+ Reply to Thread