+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some "SECOND" thoughts......

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

Some "SECOND" thoughts......

Regarding......
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.""

1st thought......
    I trust that the gentlemen whom we commonly refer to as the "founding fathers", took great pains to thoroughly debate and cautiously author the documents they intended to be the fabric of their contemporary society, and all future American democracy.

2nd thought......
    I know they were swimming and struggling in relatively unchartered historical waters, but I also know their collective energy and intellect encompassed a healthy spectrum of 18th century experience and knowledge. Despite their often extreme economic and philosophical differences, they were able to compromise when necessary to create a noble nation plan for every rebel at their table.

3rd thought......
    I doubt these fervent fellows surrendered so much as a short sentence, or even a wee word choice, without a healthy examination of what they were ALL about to commit to paper posterity with their ideological ink.
    Ergo...... I believe PRECISENESS, and not AMBIGUITY, was both their needed seed and their intended fruit.

4th thought......
    I realize our "founding fathers" lived and died in a world that could not even imagine what their rebellion might eventually reap, or how different our world would be from their world.
    But I laud them for anticipating future realities, and for providing a rational and legal means to amend their ancestral aplomb.

to be continued......
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

Re: Some "SECOND" thoughts......

5th thought......
    If our founding fathers were understandably watching each other like hungry hawks......
    And PRECISENESS was indeed necessary for compromise and/or to conclude every agreed upon written word in their pact......
    Can there be any doubt that "the right of the people to keep and bear arms" MEANS EXACTLY what it states.

While there may be an historical argument for "the people" referred to meaning only free white males......
    "to keep and bear arms" is ever so simple to understand......
    AND it was clearly intended as an absolute RIGHT.

Is there any ambiguity about what "to keep" means?
    Is there any ambiguity about what "to bear" means?

So why do not ALL free white males (at minimum) no longer have the RIGHT to bear (carry) arms......
    As many as they like......
    Whenever they like......
    Wherever they like......
    However they like (openly or concealed)......
    ANYWHERE in America?

to be continued......
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

6th thought......
    "shall not be infringed"

Is it possible for ANY American with sufficient intelligence to obtain an 8th grade diploma from even a mediocre school......
    To not easily understand what "shall not be infringed" means?

If so......
    Allow me to leave "to bear" momentarily in thought #5......
    And pose a few "to keep" questions.

By what superior authority does my state government demand that I must qualify for, pay for, and subsequently possess a valid FOID card, if I wish to purchase or otherwise have a gun...... Or even ONE BULLET?

By what superior authority are convicted felons denied the RIGHT "to keep and bear arms"?

By what superior authority is ANY American denied the RIGHT to own/have/keep ANY TYPE OF GUN......
    Or ANY other "arm"/weapon?

to be continued......

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

You are advocating and supporting the 2nd Amendment?

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Very well thought out statements Spin. I've never bought the argument that the founding fathers could not imagine the world we live in today. I'm sure they knew that their world was much more advanced than that of their fore bearers and without much thought at all would have reckoned that advancement in technology and weaponry would continue. As you said they would have considered that the words they used had to be chosen carefully so as not to be misconstrued. However I suggest that they would not have had the forethought to consider that we might have a sitting president that would argue the meaning of the word "is". If there were ever a more compelling argument against a living constitution than the meaning of the word is, is debatable than I don't know what is.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    You are advocating and supporting the 2nd Amendment?
    I advocate and support......
    EVERY word in the United States Constitution, from the Preamble to the 27th Amendment.

I equally advocate and support our Costitution's provision for a LEGAL and orderly method to alter any atricle or amendment, when a representative majority of living American citizens elects to do so...... Regardless of any minority Sacred Cow(s).

As for this thread......
    I authered it only for THOUHGTS on a topic that interests me.

Cheers.

Champ TechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud of TechsasDawg's Avatar

Question Re: Some "SECOND" thoughts......

Quote Originally Posted by Spinoza View Post
    Costitution's
    atricle
    authered
    THOUHGTS ...

??? Too much sauce???

TD

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoDawg View Post
    Very well thought out statements Spin. I've never bought the argument that the founding fathers could not imagine the world we live in today. I'm sure they knew that their world was much more advanced than that of their fore bearers and without much thought at all would have reckoned that advancement in technology and weaponry would continue. As you said they would have considered that the words they used had to be chosen carefully so as not to be misconstrued. However I suggest that they would not have had the forethought to consider that we might have a sitting president that would argue the meaning of the word "is". If there were ever a more compelling argument against a living constitution than the meaning of the word is, is debatable than I don't know what is.
    IMNHO......
    I think they would have laughed themselves Willie Silly over the "IS" poppycock, and then immediately ordered and enjoyed another round of strong ale.

However......
    I seriously doubt the "IS" issue would have made their TOP 100 list of Constitutional crimes against America.
    Just MNHO!

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by TechsasDawg View Post
    ??? Too much sauce???

TD
    Damn......
    You may be right!
    Is this the end of Rocco?
    Are my drinking dawg nights near (or at) their end?

While I realize you probably meant no serious harm......
    I doubt you understand my prior gratification in my seeming ability (pretend ability?) to navigate this board with many chilled bottles of beer in hand, and why this has meant so much to whatever remains of my rapidly aging little grey cells.

While I could easily attempt to fool others with excuses like HASTE and DISTRACTION......
    I have no such convenient way to fool myself after FOUR such glaring authored errors.

I shall need to give this matter some serious thought.

Until later, perhaps......
    Cheers.

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Damn......
    You may be right!

I doubt you understand my prior gratification in my seeming ability (pretend ability?) to navigate this board with many chilled bottles of beer in hand, and why this has meant so much to whatever remains of my rapidly aging little grey cells.

While I could easily attempt to fool others with excuses like HASTE and DISTRACTION......
    I have no such convenient way to fool myself after FOUR such glaring authored errors.

Cheers.
    Merry Christmas, Spin. Be of good Cheer! :icon_wink:

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Damn......
    You may be right!

Cheers.
    It was a fluke. Stilleth me thinks thou art sharp as a tack.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

IMNHO......
    I think they would have laughed themselves Willie Silly over the "IS" poppycock, and then immediately ordered and enjoyed another round of strong ale.

However......
    I seriously doubt the "IS" issue would have made their TOP 100 list of Constitutional crimes against America.
    Just MNHO!

Cheers.
    You are damn right that "is" would not make the list. My point was that if the definition of the word is is up for debate then what else can we see as a grey issue? This is why the rules/constitution must be black and white. I would hate to play poker with an activist judge, they would probably tell you their interpretation is a pair beats a straight.

Damn......
    You may be right!

Cheers.
    After some considerable thought......
    I have concluded that the positive benefits of exercising my little grey cells in this forum, outweigh the personal disgust I feel due to my prior proofreading negligence...... Or worse.

I have also concluded that I may soon (or already) lack the necessary patience and/or skill to adequately review/spell check my missives prior to pressing the send button.
    I have decided to try "to live with" any such inadequacy......
    And hopefully, TechasDawg will keep me informed of any such missteps along my future posting path.

However......
    When the night comes......
    (and it will if I continue to haunt our tiny planet much longer)
    When I feel I am no longer able to offer an interesting comment or a creative idea in this missive milieu......
    I shall try to be an honest old soldier of rhetoric and fade very quickly away.

Until then......

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoDawg View Post
    You are damn right that "is" would not make the list. My point was that if the definition of the word is is up for debate then what else can we see as a grey issue? This is why the rules/constitution must be black and white. I would hate to play poker with an activist judge, they would probably tell you their interpretation is a pair beats a straight.
    Point taken, Gonzo......
    And understood.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgmatic View Post
    Merry Christmas, Spin. Be of good Cheer! :icon_wink:
    Thank you, Fair lady......
    I consider myself to be a fellow of "good Cheer" during all 365 days of every year.
    But I have not paid any special attention to December 25th since 1967.

I ceased any "traditional" celebration of December 25th when I realized it had become $ANTA'$ day...... Rather than Christ's day.

In advance of the 1968 XMA$ shopping day$......
    I advised ALL of my family and friends that I would no longer GIVE or ACCEPT any XMA$ poppycock present$. I have remained true to my word ever since.

ANYONE who knows me......
    Knows they may rely on my generosity 364 days out of every year......
    But NEVER on December 25th!

It pleases me that December 25, 2008 was a $$$$$$ BUST for christian merchants and christian consumers.
    Unfortunately...... It was a $$$$$$ BUST for all the wrong reasons IMNHO!

Just one philosophical voice murmuring from the wilderness.

Cheers and good night.

+ Reply to Thread