+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UMBC

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

UMBC

This is a team that we SHOULD take care of but it depends on our shooting percentage ( as usual ). They average almost 77 ppg but only shoot 41.8% themselves. Their leading scorer is their team captain ( guard ) Cassidy who's hitting 24.9 ppg & another 5' 9" guard ( Kurowski ) throws in 16.2. They don't have much height ( only one starter is 6' 0" - Colabella & she leads them w/6.6 rpg ) so AJ & Dowdell should dominate the paint. They shoot FT's well ( 71% ), though, so we need to keep them off the line.
    They haven't played anyone I'd consider a "power" ( both Georges - Washington & Mason ) plus Towson & Coppin State & they're 7-4 ( 0-3 away from home, though but we kinda suck away from the TAC as well! ). At least we should be a little more battle tested based on our schedule ( UT; LSU; MSU & WKU - unfortunately, all losses :bigcry.
    Guess we'll see tomorrow afternoon. I can't find a webcast but it's available on Internet Audio on the Peach @1 CST. -

http://radio.securenetsystems.net//r...nCallSign=KPCH

MG
    Last edited by Mean Gene; 12-27-2008 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Correct spelling

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: UMBC

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post
    This is a team that we SHOULD take care of but it depends on our shooting percentage ( as usual ). They average almost 77 ppg but only shoot 41.8% themselves. Their leading scorer is their team captain ( guard ) Cassidy who's hitting 24.9 ppg & another 5' 9" guard ( Kurowski ) throws in 16.2. They don't have much height ( only one starter is 6' 0" - Colabella & she leads them w/6.6 rpg ) so AJ & Dowdell should dominate the paint. They shoot FT's well ( 71% ), though, so we need to keep them off the line.
    They haven't played anyone I'd consider a "power" ( both Georges - Washington & Mason ) plus Towson & Coppin State & they're 7-4 ( 0-3 away from home, though but we kinda suck away from the TAC as well! ). At least we should be a little more battle tested based on our schedule ( UT; LSU; MSU & WKU - unfortunately, all losses :bigcry.
    Guess we'll see tomorrow afternoon. I can't find a webcast but it's available on Internet Audio on the Peach @1 CST. -

http://radio.securenetsystems.net//r...nCallSign=KPCH

MG
    Thanks MG
    Didn't know much about them and haven't had time to really research them. I will be in Shreveport for the I-Bowl tomorrow, but will bring my laptop and listen in. On second thought, I bet I can get it on the actual radio there.

We just need to go in and take care of business. We are a better team, if we don't come out flat. We will see what this lay off between games produces. I imagine that we will be pounding it in the paint all night long. Put Pringle on that top scorer and we will be fine - if she can stay out of foul trouble.

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Thumbs Up Re: UMBC

We did fairly well following the 7 days off after the LSU loss ( against UALR ) so I'm a little more worried about our poor road record ( 0-4 ). Still, UMBC plays equally bad away from their own home court so perhaps it'll balance out.
    I'm not like Phil ( couldn't put together a game plan if my life depended on it ) but I agree that we should pound the paint w/AJ & Shanavia. Still, we'll need some outside shots to drop to keep their D from sagging down on our inside players.
    Good luck to the Techsters & 'Dawgs tomorrow!! I'll be at work so I'll be watching the I-Bowl on ESPN tomorrow night. Let's make it a sweep of Tech games!!!

MG
    Last edited by Mean Gene; 12-27-2008 at 02:20 PM. Reason: add comment

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post
    We did fairly well following the 7 days off after the LSU loss ( against UALR ) so I'm a little more worried about our poor road record ( 0-4 ). Still, UMBC plays equally bad away from their own home court so perhaps it'll balance out.
    I'm not like Phil ( couldn't put together a game plan if my life depended on it ) but I agree that we should pound the paint w/AJ & Shanavia. Still, we'll need some outside shots to drop to keep their D from sagging down on our inside players.
    Good luck to the Techsters & 'Dawgs tomorrow!! I'll be at work so I'll be watching the I-Bowl on ESPN tomorrow night. Let's make it a sweep of Tech games!!!

MG
    We DO need those outside shots to hit. That always helps our inside game, however, I think they will have no defense that can cover AJ and Dowdell. WE just have to cover their offense. We aren't too good at our outside defense, but have improved. Pringle is KEY in our defense. Her and Whitney hopefully will hold down their two top girls.

Champ TechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud of TechsasDawg's Avatar

Question Re: UMBC

Who is UMBC? I have scratched my brain, and can't think of who in the world that is. Thanks for any info.

TD

Varsity Bulldog PTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the rough PTDAWG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechsasDawg View Post
    Who is UMBC? I have scratched my brain, and can't think of who in the world that is. Thanks for any info.

TD

University of Maryland, Baltimore County.

I had never heard of them either. Looks like they were able to recruit a heck of an offensive player or two, though. Don't know how they did that, but stats can be very deceiving when against a weak schedule.

We should take this one big - no less than a 20 pt. victory. Tomorrow, though, we are going to have to play our best game of the year in order to beat Virginia on their home court. That is VERY TALL order for our team. That is, assumming Virginia is the opponent.

Shouldn't get ahead of ourselves but, assuming we beat UMBC, Virginia will be arguably our toughest game of the season. Normally I'd say UT would be but since the Lady Cavs beat the Lady Vols AT Thompson-Bowling Arena earlier this year, they might be a LITTLE better ( although catching Pat's girls early in the season was probably a key to beating them ). Granted, Virginia lost to ODU ( ranked #24 @ that time ) & Gonzaga (??) to be 9-2 but they're the home team & they're also 5-0 on their home court.
    They boast a very tall lineup ( as Champ stated ) w/a 6' 3" center plus forwards who are 6' 4" & 6' 1" starting plus three other players they can bring off the bench who are 6' 1" or taller. Their guard leads the team w/almost 23 ppg so we won't be able to double down on the inside players.
    Got the potential to be really ugly if we don't shoot at least 45% plus AJ & Shanavia will be tested all game long in the paint.
    Let's get past UMBC first then worry about Virginia. Go, Techsters!!

MG
    Last edited by Mean Gene; 12-28-2008 at 10:07 AM. Reason: add comment

Champ TechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud of TechsasDawg's Avatar

Wink Re: UMBC

Quote Originally Posted by PTDAWG View Post
    University of Maryland, Baltimore County.

Thanks, PTDAWG!

TD

Champ BlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud of

Well, seems that Mr. Bulter will not be doing the play by play for us! let's just hope he's more exciting than the guest host from Tenn. was!
    Go Techsters...

Puppy longtimetechsterfan seems to have something between the earslongtimetechsterfan seems to have something between the earslongtimetechsterfan seems to have something between the earslongtimetechsterfan seems to have something between the earslongtimetechsterfan seems to have something between the earslongtimetechsterfan seems to have something between the earslongtimetechsterfan seems to have something between the ears

uva will be our toughest opponent by far. we will have very tough time matching up with them. i don't expect us to win but it will be a good test to see where we are right before conference play. i wonder if spoon's relationship with jeff house the uva assistant is what got us in this tournament. it's my recollection that the two were very close friends when they were in new york and house was one of the assistants on the new york liberty. someone on a wnba board said spoon's relationship with house was part of the reason why they got one of their top recruits coming in next year because spoon was a mentor to the young lady and put in a good word for house. that type of thing is usually reciprocated nicely. it's great to have someone well respected by the basketball community on our staff again.

Warning Re: UMBC

Quote Originally Posted by longtimetechsterfan View Post
    uva will be our toughest opponent by far. we will have very tough time matching up with them. i don't expect us to win but it will be a good test to see where we are right before conference play. i wonder if spoon's relationship with jeff house the uva assistant is what got us in this tournament. it's my recollection that the two were very close friends when they were in new york and house was one of the assistants on the new york liberty. someone on a wnba board said spoon's relationship with house was part of the reason why they got one of their top recruits coming in next year because spoon was a mentor to the young lady and put in a good word for house. that type of thing is usually reciprocated nicely. it's great to have someone well respected by the basketball community on our staff again.
    Makes sense to me that we'd enter a tourney so far from home & over the holidays. Given the other 2 "guest" teams, it's hardly a powerhouse lineup ( including us ).
    Honestly, if we stay within 15 points of UVA & play w/some controlled aggression then I'll feel much better about our chances in WAC play. I just think they're too big for us to handle BUT if Whitney stays hot from the outside, who knows?? Certainly don't look to have a 48-12 points in the paint advantage but Shanavia didn't shoot very well in this game ( 7-17 ) so maybe she's due to pick it up vs UVA.

MG
    Last edited by Mean Gene; 12-28-2008 at 03:49 PM. Reason: add comment

+ Reply to Thread