+ Reply to Thread

Thread: With the addition of the Jumbo-Tron...

Champ rockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond repute

With the addition of the Jumbo-Tron...

With the addition of the jumbotron and talk or wishful thinking of a video board for the TAC, would this be a good time for LA Tech to usher in a mass media department?

Not only would this department help in academics and institutional attendance, it would give us possible trained student workers to run the productions. After a few years, everything could be done in house. We could even do LA Tech productions.

It might even help with recruiting. Some students really want in the media market. Pair up with LA Tech TV.

Thoughts?

Champ ChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond repute ChipDog's Avatar

Re: With the addition of the Jumbo-Tron...

How is that typically handled at other schools?

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rockdog View Post
    With the addition of the jumbotron and talk or wishful thinking of a video board for the TAC, would this be a good time for LA Tech to usher in a mass media department?

Not only would this department help in academics and institutional attendance, it would give us possible trained student workers to run the productions. After a few years, everything could be done in house. We could even do LA Tech productions.

It might even help with recruiting. Some students really want in the media market. Pair up with LA Tech TV.

Thoughts?
    I agree the journalism department may need an upgrade into mass media and graphic arts, but I thought the Board of Regents usually has the final say so in these types of curriculum changes. We have never had a TV-Radio major cuz the board of regents thought it would be duplicating what was already being offered at UL system members GSU and nlulm.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ rockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond repute

DP I'm not as familiar with the rules and regulations as you are. Is that what has prevented a program in the past?

I wonder if there is something we could offer different. I think it would be a tremendous asset to our university.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rockdog View Post
    DP I'm not as familiar with the rules and regulations as you are. Is that what has prevented a program in the past?

I wonder if there is something we could offer different. I think it would be a tremendous asset to our university.
    yep

Big Dog DrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to all

Plus BPCC has a really nice video program (from what I hear).

It is hard to get a duplicate program started, as it should be. I would cringe at the thought of some of the other college wanting to start an engineering program. Also, with the current and projected budget situations, I think we stand a better chance of losing or consolidating programs instead of starting a new one. We do have the TechTV people, but I don't know a whole lot about what they do other than produce segments for the on campus TechTV.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

If I remember correctly, the Speech Communication department used to offer a "mass communication" concentration, and operated a TV studio to that end. The story I heard when I was there in the early 90s was that whoever was in charge of the program got involved in some sort of shenanigans (not sure what kind), and that for some reason the administration decided the TV studio itself was the problem and decided not to support it. Obviously this is unreliable information, but that is what I can remember of the story that was floating around at the time.

I would imagine that if funding for the technology could be managed (and with oil prices where they are, I can't see that happening any time soon, and even if the administration finally figured out that waiting for state money is no way to run a university, the recession will likely limit outside giving), it would be interesting to see a joint effort between the speech communication department and the journalism department. Particularly if the old "concentration" were still on the books, a program of study could likely be offered without directly competing with our ULS sisters.

I just think a program of this sort would really help our institution and future athletic plans.

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

That is the discipline that my son is studying now at the local community college in Alvin with his sights set on getting accepted into that program at Texas State in San Marcos next fall. He currently is doing a radio show on Friday afternoons and has learned to work the 'board' (the digital audio control panel) and the Scott System. Their group also does lots of local commercials to help offset costs of equipment and to help fund the program. It sounds like everything they are learning is state of the art technology.

DFiH

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFaninHous View Post
    That is the discipline that my son is studying now at the local community college in Alvin with his sights set on getting accepted into that program at Texas State in San Marcos next fall. He currently is doing a radio show on Friday afternoons and has learned to work the 'board' (the digital audio control panel) and the Scott System. Their group also does lots of local commercials to help offset costs of equipment and to help fund the program. It sounds like everything they are learning is state of the art technology.

DFiH

Being a journalism grad myself, I'd encourage him to minor in something else . . . English, history, business administration, political science, anything but the media and how to operate it.

You know he will need to know what to do when the radio talk show listener phones in and says stuff like "Barack Obama might be elected President of the United States. I'll hang up and listen to your answer."

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Being a journalism grad myself, I'd encourage him to minor in something else . . . English, history, political science, anything but the media and how to operate it.
    He is hoping to get his degree in this discipline, then work on an MBA once he is out making money (like his old Uncle Michael)!!!!!!!
    I have told him that if he doesn't make good grades he will end up an old valve salesman, just that his Dad!!! That scares him back to the books!

Big Dog jlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the rough jlam's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFaninHous View Post
    He is hoping to get his degree in this discipline, then work on an MBA once he is out making money (like his old Uncle Michael)!!!!!!!
    I have told him that if he doesn't make good grades he will end up an old valve salesman, just that his Dad!!! That scares him back to the books!
    Who do you sell valves for?

Quote Originally Posted by jlam View Post
    Who do you sell valves for?
    I am the USA partner in a company based out of Edmonton, Canada.
    PM me and I will give you the details.
    DFiH

+ Reply to Thread