+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: McNeese

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: McNeese

Quote Originally Posted by longtimetechsterfan View Post
    chris long has plenty of experience. we see where that's gotten us. just how many of these experienced, great coaches do you think are lining up to take tech's peanuts? no, what's more important than anything for the techsters is getting PLAYERS. i really don't see where people like you, sharky, expect to get PLAYERS without a coach that anyone wants to play for. we can discuss everything under the sun from facilities, to budget to whether or not kids want to live in ruston and all of those issues have ALREADY been addressed. but you seem to love to just wait until something goes wrong to come in here like you're some sort of fortune teller and coaching expert, just so you can repeat everything you've already said.

i have repeatedly said i don't agree with making spoon the head coach right now. but that doesn't mean she's not the biggest advantage we've had in YEARS. you'd have to be stupid to not see that as a cause for hope. tech is getting in living rooms we would have NEVER gotten in without spoon. louisiana tech was never getting mentioned or discussed on the major websites, message boards and blogs except to be laughed at for not realizing that it's no longer 1988, now even they're admitting what an asset we have.

spoon has been here since june. wtf kind of miracles do you expect from the woman? she had no hand in bringing in these players. even if she was pat summitt reincarnated, what, did you expect tech would all of a sudden go undefeated? even still, who do you think has been called directly responsible (along with shanavia) for shanavia's development? have you not noticed the change in attitude and discipline among this team? those are the types of things you can change in a matter of months and months is all that spoon's been around. you can't overhaul an entire roster or go out there and give players talent they don't have. you complain that fans give spoon too much credit, but in a different way, SO DO YOU.

do you think cece harper made a visit because ruston is a great metropolis? no, she was here because spoon is here. do you even know who cece harper is? do you know who we're competing against for her? half of the big 12 including baylor and texas and 1/3 of the sec including tennessee. when's the last time louisiana tech was ever able to say that? have you ever heard of charmaine tay? i bet not. she's one of the best guards in the country, is from new jersey and probably never even heard of ruston before spoon came back. her aau teammate, china crosby, is also one of the best guards in the country and is going to virginia next year. crosby, according to the wbb boards all over considers spoon family. do you think she wouldn't have considered tech had spoon been here a year or two ago? did it ever occur to you that when a kid from outside of louisiana/mississippi/alabama gets hesitant about moving here, that maybe spoon, who has lived all over the country, and notoriously liked living in ny and la for their extracurricular activities, is probably a better saleswoman for ruston living than anyone just by her presence here? who do you think was re-assuring lenita sanford?

did you even pay attention to spoon's career after she graduated? if you did you'd know that kids splattered across division 1 basketball consider her a mentor. these are kids that play for the likes of virginia, rutgers, uconn, syracuse, tennessee, st. john's, duke, texas, ohio state and on and on. you'd know that she has contacts all over the country with aau coaches, tournament directors and high school coaches. THAT'S what we need. all of the experience in the world means absolutely nothing without PLAYERS and TALENT. you can complain about the in-game coaching all you want to. there's only so much you can do with a team of midgets. THAT has hurt us this year far more than long's inability to make adjustments ever has.

sure, we're a mid-major in a weak conference, but that hasn't seemed to stop OTHER mid-majors in similar situations with similar budgets from PASSING US BY. why? because while we're constantly complaining about who and what we used to be, acting like we're entitled for things we did years ago and envying baylor, other mid-majors have begun to build their programs, accept their status, try to dominate their conference and recruit instead of whining. the depth of talent is far greater in girls high school basketball than it was even 5 years ago. there's no way you can convince anyone with half a brain that a tech program with it's stuff together (including a coach with a personality) couldn't bring in the players. let's not act like they're all still going to the same 5 programs.
    Great post!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    I've been a scout for 20 years. Experience is vastly overrated. Pat Summitt had no idea what she was doing 30 something years ago. Bill Laimbeer had no coaching experience before he led Cheryl Ford and Detroit to 3 championships. Dawn Staley had no coaching experience before she built Temple into a respectable program in a mid major conference. There are countless really bad employed head coaches in women's basketball who've been around forever. That doesn't make Spoon a good coach or speak to her abilities at all but I don't see why this is even a discussion when she specifically came to Tech to be an assistant and has never made any reference to wanting to be head coach. Experience is not a clear determining factor for coaching success and is rarely more important than other variables.

I think the rub in this debate is that there are 2 sides to Spoon and it seems like a lot of LaTech fans don't know both sides.

There's the basketball player who's destined for the hall of fame and got her name on the court. That player, as a coach, will garner interest from prospects just because of who she is. But after a while, memories fade and kids no longer care. I wouldn't hire that player as a head coach because those are the types of former players who just want to live off their names or be handed something.

Then there's the other side of Spoon, who as Longtimetechster fan described, is extremely well connected. This is the side of Spoon who spent years networking among some of the most influential people at all levels of basketball from high school to the pros, girls basketball to the NBA. This is the side that has allowed many a kid from Texas to New York get to know her as a teacher and advisor beyond the Olympian. This is also the side that decided to work her way up and be an assistant first which is more than you can say for most former players. You better believe that if you're trying to rebuild a program you want that person around because you know that in addition to the advantage you have with her name you also know you have someone who'll network, scout, prep and recruit just as hard as the other coaches in the gym.

With more and more top former players retiring, you're going to see more and more Staley's, Spoon's and the like infiltrating the coaching ranks and they're going to be hell to deal with on the recruiting trail for other coaches.

Tech has many obstacles in the way of them returning to the top 25 or even the top 40, but when you have someone like Spoon around, at least you're in the game. How do you think the women's game has grown so much among schools that Tech would have blown off the floor years ago? It's not just about money. The money usually comes after signs of potential.
    Another great post!

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

I agree w/Wes about Teresa. I don't see her as the problem in the program; in fact, I agree that she will greatly aid recruiting & teaching defense. We HAVE improved on the defensive side & not just with the everpresent "we hustled & were aggressive" remarks. Our opponents shooting percentage is very low & we hold our own on the defensive rebound category. Offense is where we suck!! FG & FT shooting % is abysmal & our TO's reek!!
    Again, we all know how I feel about CL as a HC so I definitely want to see him gone after this year. We talk about players on fire & inexperience yet Pat managed to get her Lady Vols to come back from a major halftime defecit the other day. THAT'S what true HC's do - get the best from what they have & motivate the team!! Didja see her halftime speech on SportsCenter?? WOW!! Did her team ever respond!!
    Sure, we can do nothing now & WAC play should tell the tale. The conference is so weak that we MUST win the tourney to get a NCAA bid. Winning the regular season title will do nothing for us UNLESS we roll through it undefeated. Our record would probably earn us a #14 seed, I guess.
    Whether or not McNeese is an up & coming program doesn't matter, IMHO. We shouldn't be losing to them!!

MG

Champ DAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond repute DAWG DUDE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DogtorEvil View Post
    adding this to my signature....
    I had absolutely no interest in the WBB forum..until that statement. Now I might linger around and wait on another comment

Varsity Bulldog gramtech is a jewel in the roughgramtech is a jewel in the roughgramtech is a jewel in the roughgramtech is a jewel in the roughgramtech is a jewel in the roughgramtech is a jewel in the roughgramtech is a jewel in the roughgramtech is a jewel in the roughgramtech is a jewel in the roughgramtech is a jewel in the roughgramtech is a jewel in the rough

Teresa was clearly frustrated during the game but how can she step forward when the head coach doesn't during the game.

I agree with CHAMP and others. She needs to me kept around until she proves otherwise.

+ Reply to Thread