+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winning Records

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Re: Winning Records

Quote Originally Posted by cranberry View Post
    Winning the WAC (Weak A$$ Conference) ain't much to brag about, IMHO.

Who's talking about bragging?

I'm talking about a yearly goal that must be accomplished.

Varsity Bulldog buchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the ears

Quote Originally Posted by tigtoo30 View Post
    Tech WBB has never been in a strong conference, and it didn't stop us before. It hurt seeding, but that's about it.

I'm with Champ110, the season ain't over, it's only just begun. Granted Nevada is a great first test (aren't they picked to win the WAC?). If we can handle them on the road....who knows what the future holds. I stand behind this YOUNG team 100%. I'll hold my thoughts about CL until the end of the season.

Boise was picked to win the WAC. After that they lost two or three starters for the season from injury.

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Gang - We gotta take "baby steps" to get our program back & winning the WAC ( either the regular season title or the tourney ) is a step in the right direction. I'd certainly rather win the tourney 'cause that gets us the automatic NCAA bid but I've NEVER been a fan of that winner getting the bid while regular season champ may get left out. If ya get hot at the right time then a team that gets beaten all year can "sneak" in while the regular season champ ( who shows consistency ) is on the outside looking in.
    We can go 'round & 'round about Budke getting us where we are OR CL keeping us there but I think we've beaten that horse to death & neither Champ or myself are gonna change our opposing views.:icon_wink: With BSU losing their 2 stars the conference is wide open, IMHO.
    Let's start with tonight, Ladies!!
    Last edited by Mean Gene; 01-08-2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Correct spelling

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

The teams that will be the toughest in order (in my opinion) will be:
    Fresno
    Nevada
    Boise
    Idaho State
    Utah State
    Hawaii (on the Island)

I worry about the road games more than anything, as most do. Tonight will be a huge test.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post
    With BSU losing their 2 stars the conference is wide open, IMHO.
    Let's start with tonight, Ladies!!
    Well, we split with Boise last year - absolutely manhandling them at their place. I think it would have been wide open, regardless of their injuries. However, match up wise, I think Nevada and Fresno are more difficult for us, anyway.

Fresno is guard oriented. We all saw what happened last week in that situation. If we don't pound the ball inside, we will be in trouble.

I am going to study Nevada's stats later today. I will have to be on the road tonight late - going to Houston. I will have the laptop in my passenger seat for the game, though, so I can listen. I hate these different time zones that make it so late for us to listen/watch.

Anyway, I probably won't be posting, but be assurred that when all of you are cursing or cheering, I will be right there with you.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I have a thing about public vs. private comments about a coach. Players and recruits read this board. They need to look up to and trust their coach and not see comments from fans that tear him down.

I truly believe that Chris loves Tech and is trying to build something that was torn down.

Budke won with all Barmore's recruits. When he left, we graduated all but just a couple of those. Chris got us back to the tournament with what was left of Barmore's girls. With a first round loss in the tournament, we were no longer high on recruits lists. So, it was more than difficult to get us back to where we all want to be. He started by pulling in some true freshmen that have had to grow into their roles. TSpoon has added some intensity and some recruiting power. I am just waiting to see if that transfers to the court. So far, statistically, it has in defense.

In building a program from scratch again, it is small baby steps. This is the year that I expect to win the conference and the conference tournament. That will show me the step I need to see.

We have our post player coming in next year and much more talent. That has to keep happening. I believe that it will. We need Spoon for that, as well as her defensive coaching skills.

In the off season, I will assess the situation and see where we are. Hopefully, we will have something to be proud of again.

As for the motivation and drive of this team, I see a night and day difference between this year and last year. I did not see the McNeese game, so I have no idea what happened, but I do know that we would have won that game if it hadn't been for a freaky night of shooting by that player.

As for the basics, I want to see us improve on these things:
    FREE THROW SHOOTING - we are absolutely horrible on that and it will cost us if we don't improve.
    Turn Overs - we aren't horrible, but we need some improvement in taking care of the ball.
    FG% - I have seen steady improvement up until the McNeese game. I hope that was just a bump in the road, but we need to continue to improve there.

If those things improve, I don't think anyone can beat us in conference play. Our defense is just too tough. And, conference play is where that first step of building is located. That is what I am waiting on. It starts tomorrow night for us.
    You opened the door, so I'm walking through it. What an AMAZING comment. Seriously. You say that "Chris got us back to the tournament" which implies that Budke is the one who broke the tourney streak. Chris didn't get us BACK TO THE TOURNAMENT. It was under CHRIS, and HIS PLAYERS, that we, for the first time, did not make the tournament....two years running now.

You are right, though, that this is Chris' team. These are his players. So far, he's not shown us anything that even resembles Techsters of old. And by the way, the "one and done" tourney appearances began WITH BARMORE.

To a LOT of people, Budke isn't looking too bad right now. Sure, he wasn't a Barmore, but Long isn't even in the same league as Budke. imo, of course.

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Big Grin Re: Winning Records

FFA - And I was trying SO hard not to bite on Champ's comment!!!:icon_wink:

MG

Varsity Bulldog cranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the ears

Quote Originally Posted by fanfromafar View Post
    You opened the door, so I'm walking through it. What an AMAZING comment. Seriously. You say that "Chris got us back to the tournament" which implies that Budke is the one who broke the tourney streak. Chris didn't get us BACK TO THE TOURNAMENT. It was under CHRIS, and HIS PLAYERS, that we, for the first time, did not make the tournament....two years running now.

You are right, though, that this is Chris' team. These are his players. So far, he's not shown us anything that even resembles Techsters of old. And by the way, the "one and done" tourney appearances began WITH BARMORE.

To a LOT of people, Budke isn't looking too bad right now. Sure, he wasn't a Barmore, but Long isn't even in the same league as Budke. imo, of course.
    Great post, FFA! I knew it was just a matter of time before KB's name was brought up again........some things never change. You are right--Budke and Co. are looking pretty sweet right now,like it or not.

Question Re: Winning Records

I have a thing about public vs. private comments about a coach. Players and recruits read this board. They need to look up to and trust their coach and not see comments from fans that tear him down.

I truly believe that Chris loves Tech and is trying to build something that was torn down.

Budke won with all Barmore's recruits. When he left, we graduated all but just a couple of those. Chris got us back to the tournament with what was left of Barmore's girls. With a first round loss in the tournament, we were no longer high on recruits lists. So, it was more than difficult to get us back to where we all want to be. He started by pulling in some true freshmen that have had to grow into their roles. TSpoon has added some intensity and some recruiting power. I am just waiting to see if that transfers to the court. So far, statistically, it has in defense.

In building a program from scratch again, it is small baby steps. This is the year that I expect to win the conference and the conference tournament. That will show me the step I need to see.

We have our post player coming in next year and much more talent. That has to keep happening. I believe that it will. We need Spoon for that, as well as her defensive coaching skills.

In the off season, I will assess the situation and see where we are. Hopefully, we will have something to be proud of again.

As for the motivation and drive of this team, I see a night and day difference between this year and last year. I did not see the McNeese game, so I have no idea what happened, but I do know that we would have won that game if it hadn't been for a freaky night of shooting by that player.

As for the basics, I want to see us improve on these things:
    FREE THROW SHOOTING - we are absolutely horrible on that and it will cost us if we don't improve.
    Turn Overs - we aren't horrible, but we need some improvement in taking care of the ball.
    FG% - I have seen steady improvement up until the McNeese game. I hope that was just a bump in the road, but we need to continue to improve there.

If those things improve, I don't think anyone can beat us in conference play. Our defense is just too tough. And, conference play is where that first step of building is located. That is what I am waiting on. It starts tomorrow night for us.
    Champ - So if U DON'T see this progress what is your answer? I'm not trying to get you to admit that CL can't coach on the college level nor will I ever expect to hear you say he needs to go but am simply curious as to where YOU would direct the administration toward the program. Do we wait for another year for Spoon's recruits to come in? And if they aren't the saviors that we want/need them to be, do we fall even further down the recruit's lists ( your words in green ). Then when will this downward spiral end?
    As I've stated MANY times, I'm not about to give up on THIS season but, as an engineer, I prefer to have a contingency plan. Care to enlighten me as to what yours might be?

MG

You misread it or I did not state it clearly. In Long's first year, he got us to the tournament again (that might be a better way to state it) with STILL Barmore's left over players and a few of Budke's JC's.

There were not quality recruits coming in. Blame it on Barmore for getting knocked out by UCSB in the first round or blame it on whatever you want, but our recruiting took a hit big time and most of the talent graduated when Budke left, except for one great recruit that transferred later on.

You have your opinion and I have mine. Every time I post a comment about Budke, you come back with something and THEN turn it around to try to make me look like I have an authority complex.

Well, here is the truth. I am just as damn frustrated and mad as you are. I just choose to keep believing in this team. I don't know any more than you do and we may EVEN be close to the same opinion that you would ever know.

I will support this team in every way I can, though. I am a true Techster fan and, I believe, you are as well. You just are so negative that it is hard to see sometime. However, you keep posting, so I know you are still hoping - just like me. If you had truly given up, you wouldn't be here.

So, there is no use just trying to flame all my opinions. That is all they are - opinions. If you want a coach that has now admitted that he doesn't think that Louisiana Tech ever had a chance of being elite again as our coach, then you take that coach. I will take the one that believes that they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post
    Champ - So if U DON'T see this progress what is your answer? I'm not trying to get you to admit that CL can't coach on the college level nor will I ever expect to hear you say he needs to go but am simply curious as to where YOU would direct the administration toward the program. Do we wait for another year for Spoon's recruits to come in? And if they aren't the saviors that we want/need them to be, do we fall even further down the recruit's lists ( your words in green ). Then when will this downward spiral end?
    As I've stated MANY times, I'm not about to give up on THIS season but, as an engineer, I prefer to have a contingency plan. Care to enlighten me as to what yours might be?

MG
    I can pm you.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

You misread it or I did not state it clearly. In Long's first year, he got us to the tournament again (that might be a better way to state it) with STILL Barmore's left over players and a few of Budke's JC's.

There were not quality recruits coming in. Blame it on Barmore for getting knocked out by UCSB in the first round or blame it on whatever you want, but our recruiting took a hit big time and most of the talent graduated when Budke left, except for one great recruit that transferred later on.

You have your opinion and I have mine. Every time I post a comment about Budke, you come back with something and THEN turn it around to try to make me look like I have an authority complex.

Well, here is the truth. I am just as damn frustrated and mad as you are. I just choose to keep believing in this team. I don't know any more than you do and we may EVEN be close to the same opinion that you would ever know.

I will support this team in every way I can, though. I am a true Techster fan and, I believe, you are as well. You just are so negative that it is hard to see sometime. However, you keep posting, so I know you are still hoping - just like me. If you had truly given up, you wouldn't be here.

So, there is no use just trying to flame all my opinions. That is all they are - opinions. If you want a coach that has now admitted that he doesn't think that Louisiana Tech ever had a chance of being elite again as our coach, then you take that coach. I will take the one that believes that they can.
    Read your post. It's what you said and how you said it. It implied something that wasn't accurate. You've said before you don't want to discuss Budke yet you bring him up. Sorry, but if you bring him up, it's fair game.

Regarding wanting a coach that believes we can return to the elite...well, believing in things is admirable, but being able to deliver the goods is what I'm looking for in a coach for the Techsters. Long may be a believer, but so far, he's yet to show anything to prove he can deliver. 3 years and counting. This still could be the year, and I've admitted that previously. The jury is out on whether or not the WAC is weak enough for us to finally win it again. Regardless, Long's failures have been monumental and have done far more damage to our recruiting than Budke ever did. IMO.

Read your post. It's what you said and how you said it. It implied something that wasn't accurate. You've said before you don't want to discuss Budke yet you bring him up. Sorry, but if you bring him up, it's fair game.

Regarding wanting a coach that believes we can return to the elite...well, believing in things is admirable, but being able to deliver the goods is what I'm looking for in a coach for the Techsters. Long may be a believer, but so far, he's yet to show anything to prove he can deliver. 3 years and counting. This still could be the year, and I've admitted that previously. The jury is out on whether or not the WAC is weak enough for us to finally win it again. Regardless, Long's failures have been monumental and have done far more damage to our recruiting than Budke ever did. IMO.
    If we win the WAC, it is NOT because they are weaker. Fresno has continued to improve every year and Nevada has knocked off the #7 team in the country. If we win the WAC, it is because we are improving. You have a way of twisting words to be negative even when you are trying to be positive.

Champ LT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the rough

Who was it that tore it down?

I'll wait and see where Louisville winds up after their conference play to make that judgment call.

Regarding the rest of the WAC, excluding Fresno, weaker than ever. Boise, weak. The rest of the conference, weak, weak, weak.

My comparative statement is based on what the Techsters have shown so far this season. (in stats, not in attitude).

+ Reply to Thread