+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Varmint Hunters?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Any Varmint Hunters?

Some buddies of mine from Tech are trying to get into doing some coyote hunting up here in KY. Any of y'all have any experience? My .270 WSM is probably a little too much gun, but I don't want to buy anything else. I may end up getting a coyote choke for the ole 870.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Re: Any Varmint Hunters?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Some buddies of mine from Tech are trying to get into doing some coyote hunting up here in KY. Any of y'all have any experience? My .270 WSM is probably a little too much gun, but I don't want to buy anything else. I may end up getting a coyote choke for the ole 870.
    man if ANYBODY on here wants to shoot some coyotes, just let me know. have a ton of them on our place.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Choudawg86 View Post
    man if ANYBODY on here wants to shoot some coyotes, just let me know. have a ton of them on our place.
    supposedly one of the craigslists around here had a guy advertising to come to your land and hunt coyotes at no charge...said he'd go anywhere. I don't know if he's selling pelts or what.

We were trying to call in some crows on Saturday and a coyote came wandering up about about 300 yards. All we had were are shotguns. By the time we got a rifle out, he was on to us.

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

I saw a dead coyote on the side of the road when I was driving up to Farmerville a couple of weekends ago. Right after I saw it, a roadrunner ran across the road. Coincidence? I think not.

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    supposedly one of the craigslists around here had a guy advertising to come to your land and hunt coyotes at no charge...said he'd go anywhere. I don't know if he's selling pelts or what.

We were trying to call in some crows on Saturday and a coyote came wandering up about about 300 yards. All we had were are shotguns. By the time we got a rifle out, he was on to us.
    i know they catch them for the "fox pens". also saw two fox (of the four legged variety) yesteday while deer hunt'n.

I'm hoping if I help thin out the coyotes, the land-owner might let me deer hunt on his place. When there aren't enough house cats and dogs around those bad boys will bow up on a deer...

Big Dog Darbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the rough

.17 caliber

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

I have been toying with this for a year or so. My calling isn't what it should be and you have to conceal yourself as if you are turkey hunting. They aren't proliferating because they are stupid.

Practicing the call is hard to do where I live because it makes all the neighborhood dogs bark

Quote Originally Posted by rabiddawg View Post
    I have been toying with this for a year or so. My calling isn't what it should be and you have to conceal yourself as if you are turkey hunting. They aren't proliferating because they are stupid.

Practicing the call is hard to do where I live because it makes all the neighborhood dogs bark
    My buddy has an electric call. I don't know what all the rules are for when and where you can use one. I think our biggest issue is going to be staying upwind without shooting in the direction of houses.

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

I use an electronic caller and one of those fake rabbits. It is VERY important to hunt the wind...even more so than deer hunting. Set your rabbit upwind but try to arrange your setup where the coyote has to show himself upwind. EX: Set up on the edge of a field with the open field downwind. The coyotes on our place hate to get out in the open during daylight. I use the rabbit call unless it's time for fawns to be dropping and then I use the fawn distress. It works great but they get smart quick. I always use an auto shotgun with the smaller (not 00) buckshot loads and it is effective out to 60 yards which is perfect for my woods. Just be sure t pattern with the differnt chokes/shot size. I've found that I pattern much better with the cheaper/non-copper plated shot through a modified tube than with the copper plated through a full choke and the cheaper non-plated shot deforms easier on impact and really delivers more energy to your target.
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Big Dog honker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the rough

I have had great success coyote hunting with an electronic caller. I bought a Stevens 22-250 (Savage makes it) because it was a basic, cheap gun (around ($300). I put a Leupold 3-9 Vari-X scope on it and have 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I shoot the hornady 55 grain ballistic tips. These rounds are also deadly on hogs. The .17 caliber is just a bit small for me, unless you researched the .17 fireball. Also the .204 is a popular gun for varmint hunting now.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

I almost hit one with my truck the other day about 10 in the morning. He got out of my way walked about 5 yards off the side of the road, sat on his hind legs and just stared at me. They are getting braver around here.

Honker, do you save/sell the pelts?

Big Dog honker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the rough

Sometimes, especially if I kill them in the late winter. I don't sell them, but I have pelted out a few.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

An 870 won't cut it regardless of the choke you use. Coyotes are too wily for a shotgun most of the time. I rarely can get one closer than 50 yards, while I can call a bobcat into the blind with me.

I use a Rock River .223 with a 16" target barrel, an Eotech red dot sighting system, and Black Hills 60 grain Molys;I use this for hogs and coyotes. I went the Rock River route after a less than happy experience with a Ruger Mini-14...after two shots the barrel was so hot it move around like a piece of spaghetti! The Rock River gives me good repeatability and accuracy with the red dot out to 125 to 150 yards depending on the size of the target and the light.
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

+ Reply to Thread