+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NCAA does NOT recognize the BCS Champion as National Champion

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Post NCAA does NOT recognize the BCS Champion as National Champion

I saw this on the LSU Tigers Wikipedia page. The NCAA does not count BCS titles towards total NCAA Championships.

"In 1998 major Division I-FBS conferences came together to created the Bowl Championship Series in an effort to establish a more legitimate national champion. LSU won the 2003 BCS national championship and the 2007 BCS national championship. These are not NCAA sanctioned national championships, and because of that, many members of the sports media and fans still refer to them as Mythical National Championships."

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: NCAA does NOT recognize the BCS Champion as National Champion

Champ rebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond repute rebelboi's Avatar

You had had me,then you said Wikipedia

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rebelboi View Post
    You had had me,then you said Wikipedia

It is accurate information.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Wikipedia doesn't lie my friend. It knows everything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Di...l_championship

"The NCAA Division I-FBS National Football Championship is a "mythical" championship in the National Collegiate Athletic Association's Division I–Football Bowl Subdivision for college football. Division I-FBS football is currently the only NCAA sport that has a mythical championship, rather than one decided by a playoff- or tournament-based system.

Since 1998, Division I-Football Bowl Subdivision (abbreviated "FBS"; formerly Division I-A) has used the Bowl Championship Seriesbowl game, to determine the official BCS national champion. This system can lead to controversy, since other highly-ranked teams are sometimes not given the opportunity to contend directly for the BCS championship on the field of play. Since the NCAA does not formally declare a national champion for Division I-FBS, the championship team is also independently declared by many separate individuals and organizations. These choices are often at odds with each other and the BCS choice.

This aspect of Division I-FBS football has been a source of controversy since the creation of the first championship-naming system, the Dickinson System, in 1926."
    (BCS), which places the BCS poll number-one and number-two ranked teams in a

Varsity Bulldog rustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her game

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_fo...st_champs.html

The NCAA recognizes national champions in I-A football, but they do not award a national championship as they do in I-AA, D2 and D3 (and all other sports).

Quote Originally Posted by rustondawg5198 View Post
    http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_fo...st_champs.html

The NCAA recognizes national champions in I-A football, but they do not award a national championship as they do in I-AA, D2 and D3 (and all other sports).
    They don't recognize or count them. They only redirect you to other selecting organizations. Four selecting organizations declared Utah champions this season.

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/champs_listing1.html

"The NCAA does not conduct a championship for the Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (Division I FBS - formerly Division I-A).
    Instead, these teams participate in a national championship system developed by the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) organization."

For example:
    LSU
    Total NCAA Team Championships: 40
    men's championships: 16
    women's championships: 24
    coed championships: 0
    Breakdown by Sport:
    men's baseball: 5
    men's boxing: 1
    men's golf: 4
    men's indoor track & field: 2
    women's indoor track & field: 11