+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Could mom's Suburban ever look cool?

Champ ChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond repute ChipDog's Avatar

Question Could mom's Suburban ever look cool?

My son is about to turn 16 and wants a vehicle saying most of his friends have jacked up pickups, Tahoes and other SUVs. Last year I got my wife a new Expedition, but kept her old 2003 white Suburban LT 1500 as a spare. She says let him drive it for a year or so to see how he does. Since I am not about to overturn her decision, what can be done to dress it up? I mean make it look cool(er). It seems to me that it would be a great ride with room for sports, hunting and music gear and with plenty of room left for friends. Is the suburban even a good platform for such a project?

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Re: Could mom's Suburban ever look cool?

If he doesn't want it, I'll be your son.

Champ DogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond repute DogtorEvil's Avatar

PRP,

It can be lifted and bigger tires put on it. Also, a good sound system will work wonders.
    Originally Posted by champion110
    I am less angry this morning and ready to get back up on the horse. That girl was a freak last night.

In fact, I finally had to tell her to stop over the last weekend, because I was worn out and needed a break.

Champ DogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond repute DogtorEvil's Avatar

and a mod to the exhaust to give it more growl
    I am less angry this morning and ready to get back up on the horse. That girl was a freak last night.

In fact, I finally had to tell her to stop over the last weekend, because I was worn out and needed a break.

and why not throw in a kegerator and a condom dispenser?
    Last edited by DogtorEvil; 01-18-2009 at 10:58 PM.

Big Dog bdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the rough

you could put some of these on it...and give him "The Chronic" cd

http://customwheel.com/custom_wheels...%20Spinner.jpg

Champ Geaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by ChipDog View Post
    My son is about to turn 16 and wants a vehicle saying most of his friends have jacked up pickups, Tahoes and other SUVs. Last year I got my wife a new Expedition, but kept her old 2003 white Suburban LT 1500 as a spare. She says let him drive it for a year or so to see how he does. Since I am not about to overturn her decision, what can be done to dress it up? I mean make it look cool(er). It seems to me that it would be a great ride with room for sports, hunting and music gear and with plenty of room left for friends. Is the suburban even a good platform for such a project?

I have a 1998 GMC Suburban you can pimp out. It is just sitting in the garage. I'll take the 2003.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux Dawgs View Post
    I have a 1998 GMC Suburban you can pimp out. It is just sitting in the garage. I'll take the 2003.
    I'll up your offer with a 1999 Chevy Suburban.

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

Surely you have watched some of the shows on tv and know that there are no limits as to what can be done to a vehicle. It all depends on your budget and what you want to end up with.

Without knowing the young man and assuming mom and dad don't want to fork over several thousand bucks I would look into:

Adjusting the torsion bars on the front suspension, but don't go too far with this. Just level up the ride stance. It should give the appearance of a 4x4 stance without the expense of a lift kit. You can add some bigger, more aggressive tires if it needs tires.

If he is into hunting, you can get the vinyl camo skins that go along the bottom or you could cover the whole thing :icon_wink:. Add some neopreme camo seat covers and he is in business. Wet Okole (sp?) is a very good product but there are less expensive ones available too. Racks and front grills can be added too.

I bet he wants more tunes than the standard 2003 grocery getter, so hook him up with some good audio equipement and I bet he doesn't complain because all his buds will want to ride with him.

Big Dog honker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the rough

about 2-4 inches of lift. Some 33 inch Mud Terrains with dual exhaust. Or just take the back seats out and put a sound system and a Mattress with a disco ball.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

[quote=rabiddawg;718964]

Adjusting the torsion bars on the front suspension, but don't go too far with this. Just level up the ride stance. It should give the appearance of a 4x4 stance without the expense of a lift kit. You can add some bigger, more aggressive tires if it needs tires.

quote]

Not positive, but I think all Suburbans after '99 are on the same chassis (2WD & 4WD). The 2WDs don't appear to have the higher rear stance. I'm also pretty sure that after '99 they went to stock six hole rims and larger tires on everything.

Big Dog bdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the rough

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Spend $50 or so and get a 1974 Vega or an early 80's Chevette and put beside it and ask him which one of them he wants to drive and look cool in....

Then tell him to shut up about it and be happy that he is being offered a good set of dependable wheels....
    Last edited by Dwayne From Minden; 01-19-2009 at 01:17 PM.

Big Dog Red's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the rough Red's Better's Avatar

Is it a 4 wheel drive? If not, putting a lift and all that on it is not really worth it. Just take the grandma running boards off of it and maybe let him put some BF Goodrich all terrain tires on it. All the other stuff is a waist of money and usually ends up messing up your vehicle. A suburban is a good first car. Maybe throw some pipes on there to give it a little rumble would help.

Champ DAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond repute DAWG DUDE's Avatar

Four 12's in a ported box, powerful brand name amp, front door speakers, tweets, and a head unit with a screen

+ Reply to Thread