+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas HS basketball for HogDawg

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Texas HS basketball for HogDawg

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,481854,00.html

DALLAS — A Texas high school girls basketball team on the winning end of a 100-0 game has a case of blowout remorse.
    Thoughts?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Texas HS basketball for HogDawg

I don't agree with their continuing to press in the blowout and I don't agree with their foolish offer to forfeit now. Best path is to offer a mild apology to the tune of: we realize now we did not behave in the spirit of good sportsmanship in running up the score, and it won't happen again. We do admire the enthusiasm and steadfastness of the opposing team, as they played hard to the final buzzer. For that, they are to be commended.

Other than that, let it go.

(As I posted elsewhere, been there, done that. Guess we've all been on the receiving end of embarassing losses at times. How we deal with it says as much about our character as how we act when we win.)

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I don't agree with their continuing to press in the blowout and I don't agree with their foolish offer to forfeit now. Best path is to offer a mild apology to the tune of: we realize now we did not behave in the spirit of good sportsmanship in running up the score, and it won't happen again. We do admire the enthusiasm and steadfastness of the opposing team, as they played hard to the final buzzer. For that, they are to be commended.

Other than that, let it go.

(As I posted elsewhere, been there, done that. Guess we've all been on the receiving end of embarassing losses at times. How we deal with it says as much about our character as how we act when we win.)
    I agree with everything you just posted.

Varsity Bulldog cranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the ears

They showed no remorse by shooting 3-pointers in the 4th quarter!! PATHETIC!!!!!!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cranberry View Post
    They showed no remorse by shooting 3-pointers in the 4th quarter!! PATHETIC!!!!!!
    Well, if the three is part of their offense, and if the 2nd and 3rd string were on the floor in the 4th qtr, then no, they should show no remorse for it. Now, full-court pressing, leaving the starters in most of the game....those are inexcusable!

Have to be careful about asking a team to stop playing the game. Then, the whole thing just becomes a farce and is actually more demeaning to the losing team.

As I have said, as a player and as a coach, I've been on the losing end of some major whuppings. I never, not once, worried about what the other team did. If they felt the need to keep trying to run up the score, well more power to 'em if they could. I just kept playing or kept coaching, trying my best to stop 'em!

Last thing I ever wanted was charity. Just play the game. Everything else will take care of itself.....in time.

Now, I was also on the winning side of blowouts too. As a player I was vicious, going for the jugular. As a coach, I was happy for the opportunity to clear my bench. But I still expected my back-ups to the play the game the way they were taught: execute the offense and defense. Might have been a very vanilla offense, but I still wanted execution.

Champ Russdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Well, if the three is part of their offense, and if the 2nd and 3rd string were on the floor in the 4th qtr, then no, they should show no remorse for it. Now, full-court pressing, leaving the starters in most of the game....those are inexcusable!

Last thing I ever wanted was charity. Just play the game. Everything else will take care of itself.....in time.

Now, I was also on the winning side of blowouts too. As a player I was vicious, going for the jugular. As a coach, I was happy for the opportunity to clear my bench. But I still expected my back-ups to the play the game the way they were taught: execute the offense and defense. Might have been a very vanilla offense, but I still wanted execution.
    You're right on target, dawg80. I've always felt 2nd, 3rd, 4th string should be able to play hard and execute what they've practiced, regardless of the score. They've practiced hard, long hours and deserve to "play the game" when they're in.

I always loved it when the Techsters were stomping someone and the 3rd string got in. I cheered just as hard for their threes and steals and hustle as anyone on the team, and stayed to root for them, never leaving early.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post
    You're right on target, dawg80. I've always felt 2nd, 3rd, 4th string should be able to play hard and execute what they've practiced, regardless of the score. They've practiced hard, long hours and deserve to "play the game" when they're in.
    Ya'll are right - that's what teaches the game to both sides....

You have to WORK HARD to beat someone 100-0 than to beat someone by a score such as 84-19....

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Ya'll are right - that's what teaches the game to both sides....

You have to WORK HARD to beat someone 100-0 than to beat someone by a score such as 84-19....
    Yeah, the 100-0 part is the part that shows me that the winning team was out to do something. I am sure it became the game - Could we score a 100 points exactly and could we keep them from scoring one single point. That took some work.

I like the apology that Dawg80 had above. A big deal does not need to be made of it or it becomes more demeaning to the other team. Worded correctly (like above) is the best way to handle it. In future games, I would hope that this team learns not to try to make a game of the score. Fight hard, even if you are 3rd in line on the bench, but I have a feeling that there is more to this story.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

And let's face it -

In thier glory years the Techsters could lay some MAJOR ass whoppin's on people and the whole thing when it got out of hand was could the 2nd and 3rd string bust 100...

Especially if it was the 4' 0" white girl who should of been a trainer who made the basket that put them over the century mark -

Who cared if it was 60-13 when the starters were pulled and the final score ended up 103-52...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    And let's face it -

In thier glory years the Techsters could lay some MAJOR ass whoppin's on people and the whole thing when it got out of hand was could the 2nd and 3rd string bust 100...

Especially if it was the 4' 0" white girl who should of been a trainer who made the basket that put them over the century mark -

Who cared if it was 60-13 when the starters were pulled and the final score ended up 103-52...
    You are exactly right. I can remember chanting "100 100 100". When we played a weak opponent, that was the game.

Champ Aussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    You are exactly right. I can remember chanting "100 100 100". When we played a weak opponent, that was the game.
    Not saying it isn't a big entertainment factor... no doubt. But in a HS game, its a different story... i think its rather childish just to run up the score. When your in college your money is compensation for the game, but in HS/MS, its rather odd. I have a feeling it was one of those very small private schools that they probably shouldn't have been playing with anyway(which partly asks for embarrasment).

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

I dunno. When you hang 100 on someone, you're sending a message. When you hang 100 on a team that has 20 girls in the entire school of which 8 are on the team, what message are you sending? I don't think they should be punished, but I also think it was inappropriate to intentionally show no mercy. There was no reason to run full court press the entire game. They scored more in the third quarter than any other quarter after hanging a 56 to 0 lead at half time.

Just my opinion, but I think the coach has got to show some pride and know when to back off. It'd be different in college or even if both of these teams were engaged in a fair competition.

This thing has taken on a life of its own. The stupid national media has gotten hold of it now. Watch out!

I've heard that the school specializes in autistic children.

Champ DAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond repute DAWG DUDE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    I've heard that the school specializes in autistic children.
    dude, come on...

+ Reply to Thread